Two female foreigners die in high speed road accident in Phuket

webfact

Two female foreigners die in high speed road accident in Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

S__34439189.jpg

Two female foreigners, riding a powerful motorbike, have died at the scene of the crashafter colliding with a car in Chalong.

Chalong Police were notified of the incident at 11.30pm on Chao Fa West Road near a local seafood restaurant.

Police and rescue workers arrived to find the car with damage on its front right side.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/two-female-foreigners-die-in-high-speed-road-accident-in-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-11-30

Speeding on a big bike, presumably not wearing helmets, just a head a car, making a U turn, near impossible or no time to stop or for any evasive maneuvers, that is even if you're a skilled Moto rider, the results of such occurrence are never good... Sad...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 2

second road Jomtien (also most junctions) they get in the right turn lane just to try and beat the traffic, just cant wait, i always pull off the road, as they come barrelling through at 60 mph, (i remember the video of the poor nurse being tossed into the air, by a p**k doing the same thing, (thats on a scooter by the way)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, seajae said:

these u turns are deadly and most drivers as in this case do not wait for the on coming traffic to pass before pulling out. Thai drivers need to follow the road rules and give way, how many times do you approach u turn areas and find the idiots half way out already trying to force their way or even 2 or 3 cars abreast all doing u turns because they dont want to wait. Fair enough the bike was speeding but it also had right of way, hopefully the police will charge the car driver with their deaths, the car is not even trying to turn into the centre lane which may have avoided the accident as it is hit in the front guard in the middle of the road so the bike was trying to move into the other lane but the car  must have kept coming across the road blocking it off, manslaughter charges need to be pushed here to make these idiot drivers realize they have to give way and cannot simply move out till clear to do so

looks to me as if it is just a single, 2 lane each way carriageway, so no proper u turn, just the car doing a u turn, and the bike has tried to go around the offside of the car and collided on the wrong side of the road with the front offside of the car, i would think the car has traveled on a metre or so from the point of impact, look at the spread of debris on the road to the nearside of the car. i would say the point of impact was a lot closer to the yellow line, i would think the fault of the biker, for assessing the situation incorrectly, and maybe the car driver for not seeing the bike, but who knows if it had lights and how fast it was traveling

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

looks to me as if it is just a single, 2 lane each way carriageway, so no proper u turn, just the car doing a u turn, and the bike has tried to go around the offside of the car and collided on the wrong side of the road with the front offside of the car, i would think the car has traveled on a metre or so from the point of impact, look at the spread of debris on the road to the nearside of the car. i would say the point of impact was a lot closer to the yellow line, i would think the fault of the biker, for assessing the situation incorrectly, and maybe the car driver for not seeing the bike, but who knows if it had lights and how fast it was traveling

Or was the motorcycle travelling on the wrong side of the road? That was my impression when I studied the photos. The motorcycle, all the debris and the body of one of the victims are all spread 'the wrong way' down the road. And the damage to the car suggests that it was 'square on' impact.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Or was the motorcycle travelling on the wrong side of the road? That was my impression when I studied the photos. The motorcycle, all the debris and the body of one of the victims are all spread 'the wrong way' down the road. And the damage to the car suggests that it was 'square on' impact.

could well have been if the rider was used to driving on the right.

33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Motorbike and debris appear to all be on the left hand side of the road.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, steve187 said:

could well have been if the rider was used to driving on the right.

Yes, that was my thought, especially with one of the victims having a Russian/Eastern European name.

Edited by Moonlover

58 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Motorbike and debris appear to all be on the left hand side of the road.

Yes, but the spread of the debris is all on the 'wrong side' with respect to the car. First the motorcycle, (the heaviest) then the debris, then the victims body. It's the complete opposite to what I'd expect if the car had turned into the path of the motorcycle being ridden correctly on the left.

Yeah, appears as if the motorbike tried to overtake a car doing a U-turn. An experienced motorcyclist, particularly with years of experience of Thai drivers' manouevres, may well have been able to avoid such an accident.

We don't know so many things.

The speed of the bike

Whether the car was indicating

Whether the car driver bothered to look

Whether the car driver started the manouevre from the inside lane

Whether the bike had time to stop and decided to go for it

Whether the bike rider noticed the car manouevre starting

Whether the bike indicated it was going to overtake

Whether alcohol was involved given the time.

The carnage continues as it has done in Thailand for decades and will continue for ever and ever until they are forced to accept driverless vehicles.

• Like 1

It's dangerous enough for us expats who ride bikes everyday, But the advantage we have is experience to understand the mentality of Thai drivers!, We anticipate and slow down to a speed that if a driver decides to do a U-turn you can react.

Sadly two girls lost their lives due to inexperience.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Yes, but the spread of the debris is all on the 'wrong side' with respect to the car. First the motorcycle, (the heaviest) then the debris, then the victims body. It's the complete opposite to what I'd expect if the car had turned into the path of the motorcycle being ridden correctly on the left.

Maybe, I don't know. Just giving the information as I see it, but I will not conclude anything based on just this.

3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

From the name in the Thaiger report sounds that at least one was russian.

"Zehre Yalcinkaya" -> " Zehra Yalcinkaya" / "Zehra Yalçınkaya"

No Russian.

Very strong indication (multiple finds) for the latter two spellings that the victim originates from Turkey.

Might be a Kurdish name but that's speculation.

Edited by KhunBENQ

33 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Quite so and we never will know. However as correctly pointed out above, the car driver was carrying out an illegal U turn anyway and the evidence for that very clear.

Illegal turn, 11.30pm, speeding big bike.

What more does it need?

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You’ll find with inexperience (and alcohol 11.30pm) the rider freezes and veers on the wrong side of the road.

This common with inexperience, not making the right decision or no decision (freeze).

An experienced rider would be proactive and undertake oppose to overtake, better judgement of the car drivers intentions.

There was a recent post of a motorcycle colliding with a 10–wheeler hitting the fuel tank.

From the video you could see the rider didn’t continue in a straight line but veered on the wrong side of the road hitting the trucks fuel tank and exploding.

Edited by VYCM
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, VYCM said:

You’ll find with inexperience (and alcohol 11.30pm) the rider freezes and veers on the wrong side of the road.

This common with inexperience, not making the right decision or no decision (freeze).

An experienced rider would be proactive and undertake oppose to overtake, better judgement of the car drivers intentions.

There was a recent post of a motorcycle colliding with a 10–wheeler hitting the fuel tank.

From the video you could see the rider didn’t continue in a straight line but veered on the wrong side of the road hitting the trucks fuel tank and exploding.

True enough. A very good appraisal. In fact I've saved my own neck a few times by correctly anticipating a driver's bad move.

It all comes down to that same old, but trusted adage: 'expect the unexpected, 'cause it's going to happen to you one day for sure'.

Edited by Moonlover

Judging from the pictures I'm under the impression that the driver if the car attempting a U-turn from the left line with or maybe without indicating.

The car was already positioned in a right angle while crossing the yellow strip. This would be impossible starting the turn from the right lane. The bike approached in the right lane at speed and the only way to evade a collision was to the right of the car. Unlikely a big streetbike driving without lights.

If this scenario is proven right and the driver of the car didn't indicate her intentions, she is culpable of reckless driving.

Here we go again- 'experts' from all over the place but little input from Phuket based people!

Why do people feel the need to comment on a local story with comments about elsewhere?

Input from a Phuket person now- it would be interesting to know how many crashes occur due to dodgy- u turns? I see near misses or actual collisions on a regular basis.