Vientiane to Udon Thani without taking the bus

I would like to avoid the Vientiane to Udon Thani bus on my next trip. Getting to the border on a tuk tuk sounds straightfoward. I need to figure out the rest

1. Is there a bus specifically for crossing the bridge as there is in the other direction? (this bus is okay with me)

2. Are there private cars waiting to take people from the border (Nong Khai side) into Udon Thani? What is a fair price to pay? I may go direct to the airport, or to Central Center first, depending on the timing of everything.

I'm pretty sure there is a bus yes. Nong khai to Vientiane crossing is 10 or 20 baht on bus. Vientiane end of friendship bridge to city centre is max 200 baht if carpooling with other passengers. Maybe less. Vientiane to UT from the consulate on the boucharine can be car pooled for similar prices. 400 baht is there starting price, don't take offence just barter.

• Like 1

There is a bus across the bridge. Cannot remember the price, but insignificant.

There are taxis of various degrees of road-worthiness available as you leave immigration at Nong Khai. The cost will vary depending on time of day, how many people are looking for taxis at the time, and especially your negotiating skills. You can get a better price by moving 100 meters or so from the main exit and talking to drivers there who tend to be less predatory than those accosting people at first opportunity. It is too long since I used the taxis there for me to estimate the best price these days for a trip to the airport or Udon city centre.

• Like 1

There are taxi's available on the Laos side of the Friendship Bridge immediately after you depart immigration. They will take you over the bridge,get you through immigration on the Thai side and drive you to Udon Thani airport. Usual price is 1000 Baht per vehicle.  It is more convenient to do from the Laos side and costs the same as when you arrange from Nong Khai

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HungDonger said:

There are taxi's available on the Laos side of the Friendship Bridge immediately after you depart immigration. They will take you over the bridge,get you through immigration on the Thai side and drive you to Udon Thani airport. Usual price is 1000 Baht per vehicle.  It is more convenient to do from the Laos side and costs the same as when you arrange from Nong Khai

Ok but your paying 700 baht more doing it your way.

Just now, HungDonger said:

I'm pretty sure that Vientiane doesn't have a train station

Vientiane city doesnt  but Vientiane prefecture does ,Its about 20 kilometers outside the city and 4 kilometers from the Thai border and you can get a train from Nong Khai to there , doing both visas and entry/exit stamps at the train stations 

37 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Vientiane city doesnt  but Vientiane prefecture does ,Its about 20 kilometers outside the city and 4 kilometers from the Thai border and you can get a train from Nong Khai to there , doing both visas and entry/exit stamps at the train stations 

Great. Does the train from Laos go direct to Udon Thani or do you have to change trains ?

Is the Udon train station near the Airport ?

7 hours ago, MonkeyLoo said:

Bus across the bridge 20baht.

Minibus from near 7-11 for 50 baht to central or 200 baht to airport.

Private car from near 7-11 between 200-400 baht central or airport depending on passenger numbers.

Sounds like a good deal for both the car and minibus. Is that 7-11 easy to see, entering past the border into Nong Khai? Or do you have to round a corner to see it?

On 12/1/2018 at 8:52 AM, Rc2702 said:

Ok but your paying 700 baht more doing it your way.

I like to have a taxi to myself, which is worth paying 600-700 Baht extra for. That way I can stop when and where I want and not have to make small talk with people I don’t like. ???? Can usually get a taxi for 800-900 to UT.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

I like to have a taxi to myself, which is worth paying 600-700 Baht extra for. That way I can stop when and where I want and not have to make small talk with people I don’t like. ???? Can usually get a taxi for 800-900 to UT.

Ditto... 

Much more convenient and faster especially when the border is busy. 

Edited by lazygourmet
  • Like 1

How much time would you guys allot for a Nong Khai border to Udon Airport ride?

In the other direction I believe it is about 1 hour, right?

Does Udon ever get congested on that route, especially around 5 to 7pm?

Edited by Hal65

How much time would you guys allot for a Nong Bhai border to Udon Airport ride?

I'd allow an extra 15-20 minutes. Busier around 5-6 p.m. and roadworks happening

How much time would you guys allot for a Nong Khai border to Udon Airport ride?

It is only about 60 km, and in a private car might take only 45 minutes if you are lucky with the traffic. However, I would allow about an hour and 20 minutes to be safe. Traffic tailbacks are very possible.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 7:08 PM, Hal65 said:

Sounds like a good deal for both the car and minibus. Is that 7-11 easy to see, entering past the border into Nong Khai? Or do you have to round a corner to see it?

7-11 is about 100 meters or so on the left when you come out of immigration.

Many tuk tuks and taxis will try to get you on the way to the 7-11. That's where the cheap ticket offices are near 7-11.

Edited by MonkeyLoo
Error

On 12/2/2018 at 2:57 PM, HungDonger said:

Great. Does the train from Laos go direct to Udon Thani or do you have to change trains ?

Is the Udon train station near the Airport ?

Have to change at the border to get a connecting train , downside is that there are only a few trains everyday

On 12/2/2018 at 7:08 PM, Hal65 said:

7-11 is about 100 meters or so on the left when you come out of immigration.

Many tuk tuks and taxis will try to get you on the way to the 7-11. That's where the cheap ticket offices are near 7-11.

I once got a tuk tuk for 300 baht...drank beer all the way...feet hanging out the back ????????????

• Like 1