Cost of raising a child in Thailand

sidjameson

Zero experience raising a child. 

Always anxious that I have enough cash to support a family.

Can and do live outside Bangkok on 50k for everything for two people including rent, some trips and saving for big ticket items. Two people who are nonmateria!istic, drink very little and no vices. A car is the most expensive thing we do.

So for that type of lifestyle how much extra does a child cost on average a month?

1 hour ago, sidjameson said:

how much extra does a child cost on average a month?

Depends on age of child, nationality, and your choice of schooling.

I have one age 7 in Thai government school, costs about 10k/year in school extras, 600bht/month spending money.

And another halfway through Thai University, (again after government school) costs about 25k/year, 3k/month in spending money.

Food costs are almost nothing as they eat mainly Thai food (rice + flavouring).

Medical all free, provided by government hospital.

Transport is on my scooter (no need for helmets as we're out of town).

I did buy the girl at Uni a scooter when she was 15.

Toys,

Thai kids don't use toys all that much, mine use the computer, youtube cartoons and smartphones

Although the boy does like plasticine (nam man din) at 5bht/block. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

50k/month and you're living outside BKK? You're already living a high-roller's lifestyle! Why worry much about how much raising a kid here will cost? Maybe throw another 20k/month for your kid to also live a high-roller's lifestyle and you're all set ????

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Consider... 

Car+Car seat (essential - you already mentioned this). 

Accommodation - Child has their own room (some will naturally debate the necessity of this)

Nursery Education - Playgroups etc (not so costly)(

Kindergarten - Can be very expensive if at an International School (200k+ baht per year)

Primary School - Very expensive if at an International School (500k+ baht per year)

Thai Education - at the extreme detrimental cost to the child

Vaccination programs - Fairly costly in the first year or so (think about 12,000 baht per year)

Medical Insurance - a decent one will cost about 40k+ per year (BUPA, LUMA, AXA)

Food - Relatively Cheap

Clothing - Variable (can be cheap to costly) but expect about 10,000 baht per year low end

Nappies - Costs add up (7-8 nappies per day at the beginning)

Toys - Variable (as cheap or as expensive as you are)  

pleased i had a vasectomy.

• Like 1

Vaccinations that are part of the government schedule can be gotten for free at government health center or hospital. . There are a few additional not yet provided free that are worth getting. All Thai children have access to free health care at the hospital which covers the lication where they live (per tabian ban). Private medical insurance is unnnecessary but it is worth moving if necessary to ensure you live in an area with a comparatively good hospital.

Education IMO would be a better area to invest in.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Vaccinations that are part of the government schedule can be gotten for free at government health center or hospital. . There are a few additional not yet provided free that are worth getting. All Thai children have access to free health care at the hospital which covers the lication where they live (per tabian ban). Private medical insurance is unnnecessary but it is worth moving if necessary to ensure you live in an area with a comparatively good hospital.

Education IMO would be a better area to invest in.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I always try to fit in with the locals, I know I should be acting in a superior 'whites know best' sort of way, but our white culture is a complete failure, why even pretend it isn't? We came here to escape it, but then so many of us want to repeat the same mistakes.

My Thai children are really nice, loving, sharing people, my English children are greedy, cold, selfish c*&%s.

With the level of intelligence you are showing in the above posts i guess you fit right in!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, todlad said:

No idea where outside of Bangkok you are and I am not being critical of this post since it's clearly within his experience.

In Surin, the school/nursery our daughter goes to is much less than 200K a year, divide that by three and that is for English medium (Filipina) teaching with Thai and Chinese thrown in!

Clothing here is almost free from markets and shops and if you drive over to Chong Chom market on the Cambodian border, you are quids in!

In terms of education, I have met farang men here who cannot speak to their own children because the men do not speak Thai and he has not taught them any English. Talk to your child in your own language every minute you are with them, from birth. Mother will do the same in Thai. The child is born smart and will learn both languages very easily and will have no idea she is speaking two of them. She will also learn naturally to talk to you in English and mother in Thai. A win win situation. 

Great advice re teaching a child to be bi-lingual.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My Thai children are really nice, loving, sharing people, my English children are greedy, cold

I hear this from many people... I see so many really nice people in the West, very caring loving even affluent people who can give their kids the best - - and the kids end up with serious drug problems etc etc... it is heartbreaking... I am very happy with my decisions to keep my kid here and do things as local as possible, the best asset is a huge loving family environment for her to be raised in... 

• Like 2

The answer is very,

both partner and I work, and before kids we were already 100 k + a month, this is in bkk so we don't have the luxuries of out of town costs, so there is commutes, eating, tolls, rent and utilities and occasional weekend to the beach.

With kids it was an explosion, we are easily up to 200 k a month, while we no longer pay for nappies and stuff, kids tuition at international school pushes it all up there along with extra commute and toll costs, and all the school extras

rule of thumb is x2 what ever you earn now, this is why so many grandparents look after kids here, 

the parents are out there earning money

Friends brother literally spent a million dollars educating his son in Hong Kong. Never at home though as a workaholic. Son married an american and now works in a video game store in the States. Quote from his father, " i feel like i dont have a son"

Britman is right. Im starting to feel comfortable that it neednt be expensive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I always try to fit in with the locals, I know I should be acting in a superior 'whites know best' sort of way, but our white culture is a complete failure, why even pretend it isn't? We came here to escape it, but then so many of us want to repeat the same mistakes.

My Thai children are really nice, loving, sharing people, my English children are greedy, cold, selfish c*&%s.

You reap what you sow !

• Haha 1