Anyone using Truevision HD PVR box for recording programs?

Dario

Hi everyone,

Are there any Truevision customers out there who are using their HD PVR box for recording TV programs?

I have launched my daughter into the tennis world and we do this seriously. Not many tournament promoters upload their full matches on youtube. Soon the new tennis season starts with the first grand slam, the Australian Open. I would like to record some matches in full for my daughter to learn. I have ordered True to change my present box to the one I need and it is free plus the 99 Baht/month are waived for the first 12 months. I have ordered from InvadeIT an Orico 2598SUS3 enclosure and I have external SATA hard disks of 1TB and 2TB to choose from. Can anyone get in contact with me via private message, so I could get well prepared for the upcoming tennis season? I would appreciate so much. Thank you in advance!

I need to make an update to this post.

When I made this post, probably about 5 hours ago, I was told by the Truevision representative, that the box will be free of charge with no rental charge of 99 Baht/month for the first 12 months. 

Before a team would come to change the box to a HD PVR I would have to call 02 822 6611 which is TrueSelect, an affiliate of True to order the box. I called them right away and was told that the HD PVR boxes are momentarily out of stock. The rep on the phone couldn't tell me when they are back in stock. I had to give her my name and mobile number, so they would contact me to inform me once the boxes are back.

5 minutes later the rep from Truevison called me back and apologized that the boxes are out of stock. She then added that she wished to apologize because she had given me wrong information. The real policy of True is that I will have to pay 3'900 Baht for the box, which I would then assume, that it'll be my box without any monthly rental charge. Nevertheless I have confirmed my intention to acquire the box, although, I think, 3'900 Baht is pretty steep.

What do some experts here think about this Truevision policy? Most probably I will cancel the whole thing. I feel like being put under pressure by Truevision and I don't like that.

I need to make an update to this post.

When I made this post, probably about 5 hours ago, I was told by the Truevision representative, that the box will be free of charge with no rental charge of 99 Baht/month for the first 12 months. 

Before a team would come to change the box to a HD PVR I would have to call 02 822 6611 which is TrueSelect, an affiliate of True to order the box. I called them right away and was told that the HD PVR boxes are momentarily out of stock. The rep on the phone couldn't tell me when they are back in stock. I had to give her my name and mobile number, so they would contact me to inform me once the boxes are back.

5 minutes later the rep from Truevison called me back and apologized that the boxes are out of stock. She then added that she wished to apologize because she had given me wrong information. The real policy of True is that I will have to pay 3'900 Baht for the box, which I would then assume, that it'll be my box without any monthly rental charge. Nevertheless I have confirmed my intention to acquire the box, although, I think, 3'900 Baht is pretty steep.

What do some experts here think about this Truevision policy?

I have one and use it regularly. I also had to buy the box, but that was a couple of years ago and have forgotten what I paid. There are no additional charges and I am happy with its performance, whether I set it up to record individual shows or entire series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like apart of Al from Spokane there is nobody using a Truevision HD PVR box. Well, I guess I fork out the 3'900 Baht for the box when TV have them again in stock. Thanks Al for your message.

I've been using this box with the PVR function for nearly 6 years now, when it first came out. Never had to pay a big amount like that for the box, just the ongoing monthly rental fee . I've had to replace it a couple of times because it wasnt working properly & they just gave me a new one. Im on to my second hard drive during that time & also never had to pay any 99 Baht monthly PVR fee. I'm a big tennis fan & True have very good coverage if you have the Gold package. All four grand slams are covered on two Fox Sports HD channels & the True Tennis HD channel shows all the ATP Masters 1000 & 500 tournaments as well as numerous WTA tournaments.

Cheers

Sent from my U FEEL PRIME using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Today is December 21, 2018, 18 days after I ordered the Truevision HD PVR box. I just called TrueSelect to inquire. The box is still not available, just out of stock. Nobody knows when and whether at all this box will be available again. On December 29 my daughter's idol Maria Sharapova is competing after a break of several months at the Shenzhen Open 2019 from December 29 - January 5. Looks like we won't be available to record her match to analyze ...

Yes, I have.  Had it around 15 months and it works fine.  lots of memory in it.   Like all recording devices on TV, it gets confused when programming gets changed at the last minute or progs overrun,  but SKY was just the same in the UK.

I bought mine a number of years ago and if I'm not mistaken, it was about a thousand baht more expensive at that time.  There's nothing special about the box as it's just an external case for a 2.5" hard drive.  It has both an eSata and a USB connection.  It comes with a 500GB standard hard drive so that makes up for most of the price.  Hard drives are cheaper now so I guess that's why the box is cheaper now than before.  They sell similar cases in Tukcom, but Truevision won't let you sign up to enable the recording function without you purchasing their hard drive unit so I guess you are out of luck until they get them in stock.  The recording feature works great and you can also replace the hard drive that's in the case anytime you want.  Also, if you ever stop using Truevision, you can keep the case and use it as an external hard drive for you desktop or notebook computer.  Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, PattayaDavid said:

I bought mine a number of years ago and if I'm not mistaken, it was about a thousand baht more expensive at that time.  There's nothing special about the box as it's just an external case for a 2.5" hard drive.  It has both an eSata and a USB connection.  It comes with a 500GB standard hard drive so that makes up for most of the price.  Hard drives are cheaper now so I guess that's why the box is cheaper now than before.  They sell similar cases in Tukcom, but Truevision won't let you sign up to enable the recording function without you purchasing their hard drive unit so I guess you are out of luck until they get them in stock.  The recording feature works great and you can also replace the hard drive that's in the case anytime you want.  Also, if you ever stop using Truevision, you can keep the case and use it as an external hard drive for you desktop or notebook computer.  Hope this helps.

Thanks David. I was told by Truevision that once they have the box, technicians will come to replace my current box with the HD PVR one. So, I will get another receiver box which is a HD PVR model. The encasement which you are talking about is not included, I have bought that one already. I also have a 1TB SATA hard disk which will go into the Orico external case. To sum up, we don't have the same kind of equipment. Yes, it is clear to me, that we will have to wait until True comes with the box.

To johng: Thanks for the link.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Truevisions PVR. Just one tip, when you record a sports event, also record the show in the following time slot. I’ve recorded shows that cut off in the middle, and you have to record the next time slot to get the ending sometimes. It works really well, however I’m about to cancel mine because I prefer watching Netflix and similar on iPad. I was happy with the PVR for many years. Recently it stopped working & I don’t feel like shelling out for a new e-sata hard drive. They can give out after a few years, like any hard drive.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, after such a long time, True "found" a HD PVR box, but only after I told them that if I have not received a box by the end of this month, I will terminate all contracts we have with the True group. The box was "found" within 2 hours after I called. "Technician(s)" will come tomorrow Saturday between 9 and 10 (we'll see) to change the box. Hopefully, we get at least a knowledgeable person to show us how to record. I will update.

4 hours ago, Dario said:

Finally, after such a long time, True "found" a HD PVR box, but only after I told them that if I have not received a box by the end of this month, I will terminate all contracts we have with the True group. The box was "found" within 2 hours after I called. "Technician(s)" will come tomorrow Saturday between 9 and 10 (we'll see) to change the box. Hopefully, we get at least a knowledgeable person to show us how to record. I will update.

Guess they dipped into their "This Customer is Going to Cancel Unless We" stock.

• 2 months later...
On 4/9/2019 at 2:10 PM, Ragnarok said:

They’re back in stock. I got mine already. Yay I can record again. https://www.true-shopping.com/product/PRD201704000409

Did you pay 3'390 Baht for the box? I got mine for free, but without a hard disk. I bought the enclosure from Orico myself and put in a 1TB hard disk.

7 hours ago, Dario said:

Did you pay 3'390 Baht for the box? I got mine for free, but without a hard disk. I bought the enclosure from Orico myself and put in a 1TB hard disk.

Yes I did pay 3390. Before that I went to a mall and tried to find an e-sata powered hard drive and came home with something that didn’t work. So I gave in and ordered. That’s great you found a workaround! Actually I have the old enclosure and cables. Next time I’ll replace the hard drive. Thanks for the idea. I’m on my third one.

Archived