Lost Driving Licences

Kay McDonnell

I believe that first of all you need to go to the nearest Police station and report the loss.   They should then give you some documentation to take to the transport office to get a duplicate licence.   I think it maybe safe to assume that you will need the supporting paperwork that you had for your original licence.   Hopefully someone will chip in with something more definitive.

42 minutes ago, pagallim said:

I believe that first of all you need to go to the nearest Police station and report the loss.   They should then give you some documentation to take to the transport office to get a duplicate licence.   I think it maybe safe to assume that you will need the supporting paperwork that you had for your original licence.   Hopefully someone will chip in with something more definitive.

It has happened to me a couple of times over the years.

Now I scan everything on to my pc and if I lose the stuff I just print out what I have lost, go to the police station with it, report the loss, pay 20 baht for a copy of the report, scan that into my pc as well, then go to the DLT with the copies and get replacements.

I'm not sure you need a Police Report anymore - I think this requirement was stopped a few years ago (certainly for Thai's anyway / and at the DLT in Bangkok) - regulations may be different in other provinces. 

I suspect all you need is your Passport to prove your ID as they have everything else on record. 

11 hours ago, pagallim said:

Some time ago the official requirement for a police report was cancelled. However I don't know how Phuket DLT handles this at the moment.

Op might need police report, will need CoR. Copy of old license is helpful.

I would go for a police report.  I recommend the main Patong Police Station as I've had good service there.  Got a police report for my lost Driver's License, no charge.  Of course, any police station should be able to do the same thing, but I had a problem using the Karon Police Station as they insisted that I didn't need the police report (and of course, had I accepted that claim, I would have had problems at the LTO when I went there without a police report.  I hate being the guy in between bureaucratic squabbles, it only took the police officer in Patong 5 minutes to issue the report).  Generally, I don't recommend the Karon Police Station. 

I think I needed a residence certificate from Immigration as the LTO doesn't put any stock in the yellow house registration book (tabian bahn) unfortunately.  It's nice to have copies of your driver's license.  The process was pretty straightforward at the LTO with the police report.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not sure you need a Police Report anymore - I think this requirement was stopped a few years ago (certainly for Thai's anyway / and at the DLT in Bangkok) - regulations may be different in other provinces. 

I suspect all you need is your Passport to prove your ID as they have everything else on record. 

Yeah, Phuket Land Transport Office is not a very trusting bunch. ????  They do want the police report (reports to the contrary notwithstanding) and they don't accept your yellow house registration book (tabian bahn) as evidence of your address, only a residence certificate from immigration will suffice.  Other than that, I've found their service to be very good.

1 minute ago, skatewash said:

Yeah, Phuket Land Transport Office is not a very trusting bunch. ????  They do want the police report (reports to the contrary notwithstanding) and they don't accept your yellow house registration book (tabian bahn) as evidence of your address, only a residence certificate from immigration will suffice.  Other than that, I've found their service to be very good.

"only a residence certificate from immigration will suffice."

Or workpermit.

7 minutes ago, skatewash said:

I would go for a police report.  I recommend the main Patong Police Station as I've had good service there.  Got a police report for my lost Driver's License, no charge.  Of course, any police station should be able to do the same thing, but I had a problem using the Karon Police Station as they insisted that I didn't need the police report (and of course, had I accepted that claim, I would have had problems at the LTO when I went there without a police report.  I hate being the guy in between bureaucratic squabbles, it only took the police officer in Patong 5 minutes to issue the report).  Generally, I don't recommend the Karon Police Station. 

I think I needed a residence certificate from Immigration as the LTO doesn't put any stock in the yellow house registration book (tabian bahn) unfortunately.  It's nice to have copies of your driver's license, but your driver's license number is highly likely to be the same as your passport number (unless you somehow acquired your driver's license using your pink id card).  The process was pretty straightforward at the LTO with the police report.

"your driver's license number is highly likely to be the same as your passport number (unless you somehow acquired your driver's license using your pink id card)."

On my licenses the number is different from passport number. DL number is in big numbers almost at the top, ID number is in smaller letters/numbers at right hand bottom plus below my name.

13 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Police report then on to the LTO- you will probably need a CoR as well. if you have copy of the licence or the number it will ease things.

I scan all documents like that into my computer and if I lose my licence I just print out a copy of it along with the police report and hand it in at the DLT. No need for a CoR as the DLT already have it from before.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"only a residence certificate from immigration will suffice."

Or workpermit.

Up here in Khampaeng Phet a CoR is not required.

16 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"your driver's license number is highly likely to be the same as your passport number (unless you somehow acquired your driver's license using your pink id card)."

On my licenses the number is different from passport number. DL number is in big numbers almost at the top, ID number is in smaller letters/numbers at right hand bottom plus below my name.

Yes, you're right.  I stand corrected.  There's no relationship between my ID number (passport ID) and my driver's license number.

17 hours ago, billd766 said:

Now I scan everything on to my pc and if I lose the stuff I just print out what I have lost, go to the police station with it, report the loss, pay 20 baht for a copy of the report, scan that into my pc as well, then go to the DLT with the copies and get replacements.

Me, in Nonthaburi

police report + standard passport copies + address verification

that was all 

11 hours ago, skatewash said:

ID number (passport ID) and my driver's license number.

My passport number is on my drivers license along with DL

number. Now I’ve just got a new US passport and when you

renew passport you get a new number. I will take both passports 

when renewing DL.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:08 AM, Kay McDonnell said:

ok thank you, i am sure it is not that easy, but i will start with the police station as suggested

It is EXACTLY that easy. Go to the police station, tell them you lost your wallet on a baht bus. They will give you documents (a year ago I lost both of MY licenses, I believe you need a form for each license at 150 baht each). Go to the office that issues licenses, show them your paperwork, and they will reissue. Not sure what the cost is, but it's nominal.

Replacement licence is about B150. i had an anomaly on mine picked up by Immigration and got a new 5 year one with the original dates on it. Imm actually transposed 2 numbers of my address on my Certificate of Residence ( I should have checked before leaving) and misspelled my name but the the lady doing the computer would not have it when i pointed it out to her-she got severely annoyed with me as  Imm could not possibly be wrong!

On 12/5/2018 at 9:28 PM, pagallim said:

I believe that first of all you need to go to the nearest Police station and report the loss.   They should then give you some documentation to take to the transport office to get a duplicate license.   I think it maybe safe to assume that you will need the supporting paperwork that you had for your original license.   Hopefully someone will chip in with something more definitive.

Good advice, I even had to do this when I lost my Bank Savings Account Book, SCB wouldn't issue another one without a Police Report - had to go to the Lumpini Police Station and make a report.  Had a hard time convincing them it was burned up in a Helicopter crash in Iraq, I even had pictures and a video on my phone, had about 12 cops viewing them - that was a first for them.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:15 PM, billd766 said:

You didn't need to pay the police other than the 20฿    for the report copy?

Archived