Nonthaburi - new requirement for Landlord document for Extension based on Retirement?

We have been told by a friend that when he went to do his yearly extension, Nonthaburi immigration requested an additional document from his landlord that was new this year.  Apparently, in addition to the copy of the ID card and the house registration, now they asked for a copy of the "land sale contract" for the land on which the house sits - and it required his landlord to go to the Land Department to get this from their archives. (This is different than the house registration that he had, and had had other years prior - a completely different form.)

Has anyone heard of anything like this happening?  Or is this some odd anomaly probably related to this particular case?  We've been here 7 years and never been asked for anything like that, but will be going next week, the day before we're scheduled to leave for Christmas holidays.  Our landlord's not in the country so a last minute problem of that sort would be a very big problem!  

Just curious if anyone else has ever heard of this sort of request?   Thanks in advance!

Nonthaburi is well known as unhelpful - one of the few offices where applicants needed an MFA stamp on their embassy-letters. 

As to other offices using this sort of trick, a "landlord docs" run-around (unpublished requirement) is also done to prevent honest, non-agent applications for "married to a Thai" renters at Jomtien immigration.  And, yes, even after you have a valid TM-30. 

They know most landlords won't be going to amphurs / land-offices to stand in line for docs for every renter, so this trick assures a fat brown-envelope from an agent in most cases.  I assume these IOs share stories about how to coerce agent-laundered payments from honest applicants, so these underhanded tricks spread like viruses.

As an added benefit, an agent-submitted application allows skipping of all the "unofficial" requirements, such as hand-drawn maps, and home-visits (per reports to-date), and even some "official" (published) requirements, including the financials. 

Edited by JackThompson

This was different than the TM30 which he had with him, and which was the same document/house/landlord as the year before.   We have never had a problem in 6 years, and had the TM30 ready to go too, I'm just worried now that there's a new land transfer doc needed. 

There was no agent involved in his case, and we've never used one either.  They know us at Nonthaburi and have never tried to cause any problem or seem to ask for any contribution or anything, so we're hoping for one last smooth extension, but this made me nervous there had been some new rule to try to catch landlords in some tax thing or something.

13 hours ago, KayCee said:

Apparently, in addition to the copy of the ID card and the house registration, now they asked for a copy of the "land sale contract" for the land on which the house sits - and it required his landlord to go to the Land Department to get this from their archives.

That is a strange requirement.

That should be the chanote for the land I assume which the owner should have in their possession which would be enough proof he is the legal owner of the property.

Asking for the contract for the purchase of the land is way over the top IMO.

14 minutes ago, KayCee said:

There was no agent involved in his case, and we've never used one either. 

Exactly.  How are they going to live well beyond what their salary will support, if you don't? 

I am glad to read that your landlord was willing to go to the land-office to get a document to support your application - that was very helpful of them.  In my case, the landlord reluctantly supplied the first round of requested-docs, but refused to continue when a 2nd request (2nd attempted application) required travel and going to an amphoe for a "newer copy" of an already-presented doc.

14 minutes ago, KayCee said:

this made me nervous there had been some new rule to try to catch landlords in some tax thing or something.

Immigration can always inquire at the land-office, or refer landlords to tax-authorites - but that has nothing to do with us.  The only thing we expats are supposed to do, is tell them where we live, and show documents that show our extension-applications are valid.  They can and do sometimes visit to verify we provided an accurate address and, in the case of marriage-based, are living with our Thai spouses (which is fine with me). 

If these undocumented-requirements were really important, using an agent wouldn't make them disappear.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

Thank you ubonjoe.  I think we'll just go with our normal documents, and hope that there's really no new thing, and that our past good relationship with the officers there will mean we'll have another smooth sailing.  Will report back if not of course!

There is a page attached to the Chinote, that is the actual contract of the sale. That is what they were interested in, when I did my TM30., and that is what they photocopied, but yes, the proof of residency seems to be a catch all.....she seemed to be dissapointed I was an owner.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KayCee said:

This was different than the TM30 which he had with him, and which was the same document/house/landlord as the year before.   We have never had a problem in 6 years, and had the TM30 ready to go too, I'm just worried now that there's a new land transfer doc needed. 

There was no agent involved in his case, and we've never used one either.  They know us at Nonthaburi and have never tried to cause any problem or seem to ask for any contribution or anything, so we're hoping for one last smooth extension, but this made me nervous there had been some new rule to try to catch landlords in some tax thing or something.

I went yesterday to Nonthaburi Immigration to do my extension of stay based on retirement.

Regarding the documents pertaining to the house, I had TM-30, copy of homeowners ID, and copy of owners house registration.

In addition, something new that I did not need to use on my previous visits, was a form that is written in Thai for the homeowner to fill out and sign.IMG_5527.thumb.jpg.8f5a166960570b9efd81c66ba374c9bc.jpg

The crossed out Thai words were done by them. I believe it was written rental and then crossed out and changed to owner on the paper.

This paper can be obtained at the front desk in room 203.

Never was asked any kind of land sale contract.

Here is a photo of said copy:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maxx58 said:

I went yesterday to Nonthaburi Immigration to do my extension of stay based on retirement.

Regarding the documents pertaining to the house, I had TM-30, copy of homeowners ID, and copy of owners house registration.

In addition, something new that I did not need to use on my previous visits, was a form that is written in Thai for the homeowner to fill out and sign.IMG_5527.thumb.jpg.8f5a166960570b9efd81c66ba374c9bc.jpg

The crossed out Thai words were done by them. I believe it was written rental and then crossed out and changed to owner on the paper.

This paper can be obtained at the front desk in room 203.

Never was asked any kind of land sale contract.

Here is a photo of said copy:

Oh dear.  Does anyone know what this is?  Well, with a landlord abroad, who takes weeks sometimes of prompting by our rental agent to provide even the TM30, this is not going to go well, next week I'm afraid.  Is this new requirement something in the immigration rules somewhere and happening in all the offices?   It is really frustrating to have your extension held up by documents that you can't reasonably provide at short notice, that have nothing to do with you.  And with my lease ending in a few months, I somehow doubt my landlord is going to be bothered too much - from abroad particularly - to get something like this done for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KayCee said:

Is this new requirement something in the immigration rules somewhere and happening in all the offices?

I do not see an official document number at the top of the page, so does not appear to be something issued officially by Immigration in Bangkok. 

Still, this form is better that what I encountered, in that it is something we can scan/send electronically, and have it returned by EMS (or FedEx/DHL, if abroad) - much better than requiring a landlord to retrieve a document from a govt-office.

• Like 1

My landlady is a foreigner. Nonthaburi asks

TM 30

copy of pasport and in her case PR stamp

copy of  Tabian baan from landady

copy of chanotte

copy of rental contract

They asked that already 3 years. They never asked me that my landlady be present. I only witnissed this demand with an African gentleman who was there with an agent, but could not provide any rental documents

my 10 yearexperience with Nonrhaburi immigration, is very positive. All very nice people. just provide the documents they ask

14 hours ago, KayCee said:

Oh dear.  Does anyone know what this is?  Well, with a landlord abroad, who takes weeks sometimes of prompting by our rental agent to provide even the TM30, this is not going to go well, next week I'm afraid.  Is this new requirement something in the immigration rules somewhere and happening in all the offices?   It is really frustrating to have your extension held up by documents that you can't reasonably provide at short notice, that have nothing to do with you.  And with my lease ending in a few months, I somehow doubt my landlord is going to be bothered too much - from abroad particularly - to get something like this done for me.

I just can't understand why that form is needed. The TM-30 should suffice.

Hopefully,  they will understand your situation and overlook that form.

Who knows, maybe they won't even ask for it. 

Best of luck!

Also, the officer told my wife in Thai that whenever I leave the country and return I have to have my landlord/homeowner fill that form out and return it to Nonthaburi Immigration along with copies of the usual passport stamps.