Jomtien Immigration.

I heartily agree with the OP's overall rating of the efficiency and politeness of the Jomtien Immigration Office. I've lived here for 12 years. I've always found them to be polite; but the efficiency has improved many fold since 2006. I'm grateful for that. 

I do wish, however, they they'd clarify the situation on verification of financial responsibility as required for extension of "retirement" visas. I'd very much prefer to provide proof of monthly income with copies of my Thai bank deposit records; rather than deposit 800,000 baht in my Thai account.

My extension must be done in April. I'm hoping for clarification before the end of the first week in January. That's the longest I can wait before depositing that 800k; since, as I understand it, that must be on deposit for a minimum of 3 months to satisfy that requirement. 

I'm living on a monthly income that exceeds the old 65k per month requirement. But I much prefer to keep my savings in the USA. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, writ3r77 said:

Good to hear. Any reports on how it is for getting a letter of residence? Cheers.

From my recent experiences, 2 certs in the last 6-8 weeks (1 on the 15th of this month), if you’re on a Tourist Visa like myself you need a valid reason with proof to obtain one.

My first request was for the purchase of a motorcycle. They required a copy of the contract but being that it was a private, internet sale I couldn’t provide this. They said that I needed a signed copy of the greenbook amd sent me on my way.

3 days later I returned with all my paperwork plus the required greenbook copy and was denied again. This time I stood my ground and politely reminded the the girl, the same that I had dealt with 3 days earlier, that it was her that told me this was all that was required. Cue a minute or so of back and forth and she finally relented.

The second time was required as my initial cert had expired between lodging my paperwork at the LTO and getting my bike passed to changeover the registration (Bangkok to Chonburi plus I had to change the pipes back to standard to pass the dB test).

Note: if your changing registration form out of province you have to go to Chonburi LTO which is a 2 hour round trip from Pattaya. 

The second time I informed Immigration what I required the cert for and they wanted;

signed copy of previous owners ID card

signed copy of the greenbook

signed copy of the previous owners house book

All the usual paperwork 

Luckily I had anticipated just such a problem popping up and asked the previous owner to give me an extra signed copy of each when I collected the bike.

From my experience and those of a couple of friends in recent times it is becoming more difficult to get on a TR visa.

note: each time I’ve been in to immi to get a cert or extend my visa I’ve been treated quite curtly and in the instance of the first cert very rudely.

Edited by MadMuhammad

5 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

From my recent experiences, 2 certs in the last 6-8 weeks (1 on the 15th of this month), if you’re on a Tourist Visa like myself you need a valid reason with proof to obtain one.

My first request was for the purchase of a motorcycle. They required a copy of the contract but being that it was a private, internet sale I couldn’t provide this. They said that I needed a signed copy of the greenbook amd sent me on my way.

3 days later I returned with all my paperwork plus the required greenbook copy and was denied again. This time I stood my ground and politely reminded the the girl, the same that I had dealt with 3 days earlier, that it was her that told me this was all that was required. Cue a minute or so of back and forth and she finally relented.

The second time was required as my initial cert had expired between lodging my paperwork at the LTO and getting my bike passed to changeover the registration (Bangkok to Chonburi plus I had to change the pipes back to standard to pass the dB test).

Note: if your changing registration form out of province you have to go to Chonburi LTO which is a 2 hour round trip from Pattaya. 

The second time I informed Immigration what I required the cert for and they wanted;

signed copy of previous owners ID card

signed copy of the greenbook

signed copy of the previous owners house book

All the usual paperwork 

Luckily I had anticipated just such a problem popping up and asked the previous owner to give me an extra signed copy of each when I collected the bike.

From my experience and those of a couple of friends in recent times it is becoming more difficult to get on a TR visa.

note: each time I’ve been in to immi to get a cert or extend my visa I’ve been treated quite curtly and in the instance of the first cert very rudely.

Because they all want you to buy a bike/car in your girlfriends/wifes name. Simple.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, patsfangr said:

My extension must be done in April. I'm hoping for clarification before the end of the first week in January. That's the longest I can wait before depositing that 800k; since, as I understand it, that must be on deposit for a minimum of 3 months to satisfy that requirement. 

Why haven't you got an income affidavit? They're valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oldskoolbeatz said:

So much better than chang wattana, just down the street from the beach too.

I like the location too. I usually time my visits with breakfast in Simon's or lunch in the Surf Shack.

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

Why haven't you got an income affidavit? They're valid for 6 months from the date of issue.

Are you sure they will accept them up to June at the Jomtien office? I'll be getting one in case they do, but I'm not feeling as confident as you that they will.

Just now, tropo said:

Are you sure they will accept them up to June at the Jomtien office? I'll be getting one in case they do, but I'm not feeling as confident as you that they will.

As they appear to be sticking to the rules and I've always found Jontien Immigration to be good eggs, I have every confidence that they will abide by the 6 month rule. Moreover, some embassies will continue to issue income letters and I expect Jontien Immigration to accept valid income letters ad infinitum.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, rutteketuut said:

Very polite indeed, especially at the family desk when you need a marriage extension. But maybe some people don't mind being humiliated.

Exactly.  Folks using retirement / 90-day or even Tourist desks have no idea the unmitigated-joy of humiliation and spite they can experience at the Non-O stamp and Family desks.

13 hours ago, overherebc said:

Because they all want you to buy a bike/car in your girlfriends/wifes name. Simple.

I don't know what immigration wants to do, it is all speculation only. For all the hassle @MadMuhammad went through, could be solved using an agent for 800 baht. I just bought a motorcycle and went to an agent (for car/motor cycle license, ownership transfer etc.) and gave my passport, fill up a form and paid 800 baht. She did every thing within a few days.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

I don't know what immigration wants to do, it is all speculation only. For all the hassle @MadMuhammad went through, could be solved using an agent for 800 baht. I just bought a motorcycle and went to an agent (for car/motor cycle license, ownership etc.) and gave my passport, fill up a form and paid 800 baht. She did every thing within a few days.

Last car 'I' bought I produced passport, WP and Thai licence, in BKK, and got it on 3 years HP. I wanted to do it over 2 years but they insisted on 3, more interest for them obviously.

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I don't know what immigration wants to do, it is all speculation only. For all the hassle @MadMuhammad went through, could be solved using an agent for 800 baht. I just bought a motorcycle and went to an agent (for car/motor cycle license, ownership etc.) and gave my passport, fill up a form and paid 800 baht. She did every thing within a few days.

What document did you use to prove your address?

What is the name of the owner (ผู้ถือกรรมสิทธิ์) on page 5 of your registration document (a.k.a. green book)?

4 hours ago, zoza said:

well up to yesterday  I would of agreed with most posts on Jomtien immigration but not today. I arrived at 11.45 am(the bank opens at 11 am central festival branch) and they only had one ticket lady at the entrance

so I got in line.

unfortunately a few (none farangs) decided they would jump the  queue

and me and others told them to do one... the lady giving the tickets out was only interested in these two people? and went inside leaving her post

empty until she had sorted these two peoples problems out.

then she announced they were shut for lunch.

we all left and returned at 12.50pm with our tickets but guess what somehow when ''we were shut'' 23 people had managed to get a head of me...yeh I know it is impossible but remember this has all been fixed

by ''big joke'' (do you get it yet)

so what could make this even worse...ok all my 10 odd pages of this and that that was signed by me and the bank and who ever was handed back

to me and I was told ''you cannot renew your visa more than 30 days?

so I got my phone out to show I had booked flights for the 26th of December....so guess what by now I realised I was getting punished for

speaking out at the front of the building and to prove it beyond any doubt

I was told to return on the 24th of December. the lady smiled at me as if

to say this is Thailand and we can do what we want. so does she think they can grind me down after 18 years...don't think so....lol 

I recommend you try again early tomorrow morning. Arrive at 7:30 a.m. and get in line. Today, 19 December, doors opened and tickets were being dispensed at 7:45 a.m.. Service at most counters started at 8:30 a.m.. One of the senior IO was dispensing the tickets at 7:45 a.m., not the civilian female employees, who normally arrive at 8:00-8:15 a.m. 

2 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I recommend you try again early tomorrow morning. Arrive at 7:30 a.m. and get in line. Today, 19 December, doors opened and tickets were being dispensed at 7:45 a.m.. Service at most counters started at 8:30 a.m.. One of the senior IO was dispensing the tickets at 7:45 a.m., not the civilian female employees, who normally arrive at 8:00-8:15 a.m. 

The irony is she sent me away with no extension  because you cannot get an extension  if you apply more than 30 days,

and it says up to two months in most  visa agents

she  then asked me to come back on the 24th December...which is 34 days.

I was lucky as she was aiming for xmass day but my flight is 7am so

she went for xmass eve and then pick up the passport 2pm on xmass day

my move now is 8th-9th January as with 27th January expiry it is nicely in the 18/19 day before expiry...and maybe a hat and sunglasses...its not like

I swore at the bloke, I just told them we were not standing there trying to top up our tans. 

Edited by zoza
sticking key

2 hours ago, roobaa01 said:

i did my 90 days reporting on monday 171218 the place was packed at my arrival 10.10 a.m.. i took my ticket no. 239 , 40 numbers behind my turn. i was served and out at 10.45 a.m. thus very efficient at jomtien.

wbr

roobaa01

Re my earlier post, I went in on Monday and it was packed. The officer told me it's always like that on Mondays. So, steer clear of Mondays. Even so, I was in and out like a fiddlers elbow, clutching my reentry permit. Very quick and efficient.

9 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I would recommend mid to late afternoon. Let the early morning (stressed out - got to get there early and line up) mob pass through first, and avoid close to lunch on either side.