Hua Hin expat begins attempt to cross Gulf Thailand on a paddle board

webfact

Hua Hin expat begins attempt to cross Gulf Thailand on a paddle board

167c3ef3bb2d80e9d281.jpeg

A Russian man who lives in Hua Hin has started his attempt to cross the Gulf of Thailand using only a paddle board.

According to a post on his Facebook page, Vladimir Kruchinin was due to begin the daring attempt at 4am on Wednesday morning from Pattaya beach.

The first of its kind voyage will see Vladimir, 37, travel the 110km across the Gulf of Thailand from Pattaya to Hua Hin using only a stand up paddle board (SUP).

Bad weather on Monday had scuppered Vladimir's previous attempt to cross the Gulf.

On Saturday, Vladimir told Thaivisa how he has lived in Hua Hin with his wife and son since 2012.

Having only first tried paddle boarding in 2016 he became hooked after renting a board from a resort at Sam Roi Yot beach.

Despite it taking him “at least twenty times to get up on the board” he eventually managed to get the hang of it.

“At that moment, I fell in love with SUP completely and within a week I had my own first board”, Vladimir told Thaivisa.

“Since that time, the sport plays a major role in my life. Thanks to SUP, I have improved my physique, have discovered many interesting places and have found new friends”.

“With the SUP, I like to explore new places and I enjoy paddling long distance. I can literally paddle all day.

“Usually in the daytime, I travel around 20 to 40 kms. When you are surrounded by such beautiful scenery in Thailand, a long way doesn’t seem so far. The first time I paddled over 70 km in one day, I realised that much greater lengths were possible.

“I had a dream of crossing the Gulf of Thailand from Pattaya to Hua Hin. At first, I was scared at the thought, but now I am determined to do it. The path will take me across about 110 km. I’m yet to achieve such distances in a day but I believe I am capable”.

You can follow Vladimir's progress here: https://aus-share.inreach.garmin.com/T3UGX 

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-19

Hua Hin expat forced to CANCEL attempt to cross Gulf Thailand on a paddle board

vlad-1.jpg

A Hua Hin expat’s attempt to cross the Gulf of Thailand using only a paddle board has once again been thwarted - but this time is has nothing to do with bad weather.

Vladimir Kruchinin, 37, had been due to set off from Pattaya for Hua Hin at 4am on Wednesday morning, after bad weather on Monday forced him to cancel his previous at completing the 110km journey.

According to a post on his Facebook page, Wednesday’s attempt had to be canceled because the car used to carry his support boat was involved in an accident in Pattaya earlier this morning.

“Traffic accident with support boat. My challenge canceled”, a disappointed Vladimir posted on Facebook.

Footage posted earlier showed Vladimir at the beach in Pattaya wearing a wetsuit and preparing his paddleboard for the journey.

It is understood the crash happened only shortly before Vladimir was due to set off.

Vladimir said he was now in a car on the way back to Hua Hin.

It is not known when Vladimir plans to attempt the crossing again.

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-12-19

22 hours ago, webfact said:

attempt had to be canceled because the car used to carry his support boat was involved in an accident in Pattaya

Yeah, it's much safer to paddle that 110km in rough seas.....better not risk trying to go anywhere by road.

Archived