Lawnmower Hire

Maybole

I am posting in the Chiangmai forum to obtain local knowledge as opposed to gardening advice.

I have a small patch of grass (60m2 ) to cut. Is there an appliance shop in the Hang Dong/SanPaTong area which will hire me a small electic mower?

In a nutshell No, Thai are not into hiring out machinery, I know in our country's you just go down to a hire shop and hire anything from a 360 backhoe to an electric drill, not so here in Thailand .

I would say your best bet would ask a local guy to do the job, 200 baht job done, I use a strimmer to cut my grass, with a cord on, like a lot of gardens and a good few local companies's in my area and they make a good job, just make sure he cuts your grass, not your plants .

You may be lucky and find a local guy with a lawnmower to do the job on a regular basis, just get out they and ask.it was a job, I use to do a long time ago nice little earner it was too.

To my knowledge there is only one tool hire shop in Chiang Mai and its nowhere near San Patong, but if you wanted a good ride out I can tell you where it is exactly(near city hall)

Unsurprisingly its called Chiang Mai toolhire. you can google and get the phone number...good luck

I needed something big and expensive 3yrs ago but they didn't get a second chance to make a first impression.

in my experience though, grass grows and a one off cut will last 2 weeks, better if only short term to buy a cheap electric one for such a piddly area. 

Edited by eyecatcher

kickstart: You will need to persevere to find the local strimmer man get out of bed for 200bt.

300bt may get you a 10 minute job, it will be 500 or more for an hour.

hasten to add, just get a 200bt job out of your head......unless you are the man to do it?

On 12/20/2018 at 7:21 PM, eyecatcher said:

kickstart: You will need to persevere to find the local strimmer man get out of bed for 200bt.

300bt may get you a 10 minute job, it will be 500 or more for an hour.

hasten to add, just get a 200bt job out of your head......unless you are the man to do it?

I suppose that is living in big city things are expensive, I live in the sticks and I bet you a week's wages I could get a local guy to do it for 200 baht. 300 baht most certainly, no problem. 500 baht they would be a queue down the street and around the corner. 

As eye catcher said, it is only a pocket-handkerchief size, with my strimmer it would take me 10 minutes, I did an area the size of a large basketball court  today half an hour, had to stop ....run out of petrol, and that was not lawn grass but Nappier grass, grows up like sugar cane ,I was cutting the stubble .

If the op does buy a cheap electric job make sure he has good RCD's fitted, case on the electrical forum, Thai wife comes home finds Farang hubby well dead, cutting the grass, cut the electric cable no RCD' fitted, Rip-Roy.

ps. If I lived locale I would do it for 200 baht, I could then talk some English, more than I do around here.

And would you believe it. A day after this posting guess what popped up in a local fb group.

Amazed how quick someone decided to plug the hole in a gaping market.

Then again it could be the same shoo I was referring to, not sure.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chiangmaiexpats/permalink/2054055114885763/

12 hours ago, Saraphee said:

The appearance of those premises really inspire confidence..................

Yes thats a dump, and its not the same one I was referring to near city hall.

The premises above dont even look big enough to stock a set of hand shears let alone a mower.

I had similar problem and thought to hire or find an occasional gardener/mower guy.  No luck so i shopped a 2nd hand electric mower at flea mrkt, but the vendor wanted 2500 baht for a marginal mower, well used.  I went to Home Pro and got new one for 3000 baht, now takes 15 mins to mow the yard and no need to search or argue with anyone.

I keep the tool clean and if need be can resell on facecrap for 2400 baht.