Any recent success opening a bank account on a TV in CM?

Percy Penguin

Try BKK Bank Promenada Branch - When I went in there to have my bank letter (for an account I have with them at their main branch) - issued for immigration I got to talk to the marketing lady about the difficulties some foreigners are having to open a bank account.

She told me that their head office is allowing them to open a bank accounts for foreigners because of their strategic location when immigration was still there.

I thought that was great and quickly opened another account with ATM card and Bualuang mbanking.

Passport, residence certificate and obviously a Mobil phone number, email account for mBanking was all I needed - they never asked what kind of visa I was on.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, 4raiKohChang said:

Can anyone here comment on how a newly arrived tourist, wanting to open an account for legitimate reasons would secure a residence certificate?

Go to the white building almost directly across the road from immigration and ask if they can assist. They will require cash incentives.

• Confused 1

I was lucky in that when I left LOS in 2001 after working here for 12+ years I never closed my Bangkok Bank account and just kept a balance of about 2000 baht in it.  Now whenever I visit I have a bank account that I can use plus an ATM card.  

I know that back in the 90's tourists on any kind of visa could open a bank account very easily.  Unfortunately, the Thais closed that opportunity.

They didn't close it. Every bank have different policies, every branch have different policies, sometimes even different people in the same branch will have different "policies". Keep trying. If you don't manage in C.M. go to Bangkok and you'll surely find a branch that will do it there.

18 hours ago, Thailand said:

Go to the white building almost directly across the road from immigration and ask if they can assist. They will require cash incentives.

I have yet to pay a cash incentive for a legal banking transaction. I stay away from illegal obes as well.