Syria, Mattis, Afghanistan, shutdown: Trump ends year in chaos

webfact

10 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I'll bite. We are wasting a lot of money and resources in these places. Explain to me how any of this prevents another 9/11? So our boys are over in Kabu getting ambushed and their faces blown off by IED. Meanwhile some wack jobs are in NYC or LA preparing the next whatever. 

I do not see how anybody thinks that this occupation does anything to prevent that. 

I go back to your posts when you supported the US totally. Now you dither.

This will possibly be the end of Trump as it can be seen that he is kow towing to Putin and discarding the Kurds.

You are are a Trump supporter and against all the odds, you have remained loyal.

That is to be commended, loyalty in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary is the basis of Hollywood blockbusters.

10 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Short the stock market. It’s bound to crumble further. Maybe Trump has already. Bought shorts. On his way too, to crumble. It’s quite amazing how smart people have allowed this chaos to play out! Imagine the share price of any company if there was this level of firings and resignations. It would plummet

Not of immediate importance to the stock market. The market is much more concerned about how long the cheap money tap is going to stay open. Anyway, the BROADER stock market has been going down for many months, even as the indexes were making new highs. Gotta watch that breadth.

50 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I go back to your posts when you supported the US totally. Now you dither.

This will possibly be the end of Trump as it can be seen that he is kow towing to Putin and discarding the Kurds.

You are are a Trump supporter and against all the odds, you have remained loyal.

That is to be commended, loyalty in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary is the basis of Hollywood blockbusters.

i give my support to the troops while they are deployed 100%. I think they are best out of harms way. However if we are over in these insane places I hope they send our enemies straight to hell 100%.

When i was saying those things every leftie on the site disagreed with everything I said. Now I did a turn about and guess what???? I meet vehement opposition to that stance. Again it is weird to see the libs turn into what they used to call racist war mongers.

I do not think that being involved overseas is preventing another 911. So what is the point to oppose Russia? Why? What strategic importance is it to the USA to care if they want to shake hands with the Taliban? Iran... I also don't care was only amused at the sanctions and the maneuver he made to screw the Saudis on that one. 

I don't want a war with Iran. We don't need their oil anymore. You want some low hanging fruit that would make sense? It would be Venezuela right now.

I think we should withdraw from Korea and let the Japanese build their own nukes. Korea can build them too. Iran also can. This is 80 year old technology, If we have to play the game of proxy wars then as an American i hope we play it well. It came as a big surprise the latest withdrawal. It is okay to change one's mind if events warrant it. 

If the game plan is to now come home and put all that money into our own country that is ideal. 

14 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Not of immediate importance to the stock market. The market is much more concerned about how long the cheap money tap is going to stay open. Anyway, the BROADER stock market has been going down for many months, even as the indexes were making new highs. Gotta watch that breadth.

LOl Stocks are down because of a hawkish fed. Trumps remarks and the potential shut down doesn't bother the market in the slightest. The government being shut down means nothing really happens. The stock market likes that. It's all about liquidity in the market and the fear of a slow down in global growth. 

Funny how when stocks are up they say the president doesn't matter. As soon as they go down they scream and cry it is the president's fault. 

26 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

i give my support to the troops while they are deployed 100%. I think they are best out of harms way. However if we are over in these insane places I hope they send our enemies straight to hell 100%.

When i was saying those things every leftie on the site disagreed with everything I said. Now I did a turn about and guess what???? I meet vehement opposition to that stance. Again it is weird to see the libs turn into what they used to call racist war mongers.

I do not think that being involved overseas is preventing another 911. So what is the point to oppose Russia? Why? What strategic importance is it to the USA to care if they want to shake hands with the Taliban? Iran... I also don't care was only amused at the sanctions and the maneuver he made to screw the Saudis on that one. 

I don't want a war with Iran. We don't need their oil anymore. You want some low hanging fruit that would make sense? It would be Venezuela right now.

I think we should withdraw from Korea and let the Japanese build their own nukes. Korea can build them too. Iran also can. This is 80 year old technology, If we have to play the game of proxy wars then as an American i hope we play it well. It came as a big surprise the latest withdrawal. It is okay to change one's mind if events warrant it. 

If the game plan is to now come home and put all that money into our own country that is ideal. 

It is a long post to reply to. May I just say that you have u turned and I commend you for that.

I was a soldier and I know how to defeat the enemy. You know that to be bs. you can win actions, you can not win the final result.

You may remember your instructions, the "mission" Do you remember that basic instruction?

A "mission" has a target and an end game. Can you name me one US policy that has a mission and an end game since ww2.

So many lives have been lost in futile non designated missions. When will former soldiers rise up against the

stupid policies that may well lead to the deaths of well trained soldiers in futile, political stupid wars.

That said, I support the soldiers, especially when they come home as wrecks of their former selves. And I know

30 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

It is a long post to reply to. May I just say that you have u turned and I commend you for that.

I was a soldier and I know how to defeat the enemy. You know that to be bs. you can win actions, you can not win the final result.

You may remember your instructions, the "mission" Do you remember that basic instruction?

A "mission" has a target and an end game. Can you name me one US policy that has a mission and an end game since ww2.

So many lives have been lost in futile non designated missions. When will former soldiers rise up against the

stupid policies that may well lead to the deaths of well trained soldiers in futile, political stupid wars.

That said, I support the soldiers, especially when they come home as wrecks of their former selves. And I know

I am sure many of those troops coming home were a little bit more than excited to be home for the holidays. I certainly approve of that. 

7 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I am sure many of those troops coming home were a little bit more than excited to be home for the holidays. I certainly approve of that. 

So you were never in the military. You think that some holiday makes a difference to combat troops. Excited?

What a sad and cynical posture you have for troops in the firing line. They will go back;. You will never understand and you should..... just not talk anymore. About serving soldiers.

8 minutes ago, Prissana Pescud said:

So you were never in the military. You think that some holiday makes a difference to combat troops. Excited?

What a sad and cynical posture you have for troops in the firing line. They will go back;. You will never understand and you should..... just not talk anymore. About serving soldiers.

This is the definition of obtuse. 

The big picture here is so obvious you elected Donald Trump to power and then you have done everything possible to slam dunk him

He is now going to slam dunk the entire country and possibly the world in retaliation for his people turning against him. He is a dictator and hence if its not going all his way then death to you all.????

5 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Do you understand that Trump and the Republicans have massively increased military spending? No indication at all that they plan to cut it.

It is Donalds Art of the deal. It is the Devil in the details that scares me. The guy has started a trade war with China, he has Putin saying we are closer to a war. He wants to build a wall, which by the way China did years ago, and did it work for them?

The swamp still exists, except it is filled with Trump, followers, and worshipers.   My opinion anyway. Pulling out the troops is a good idea, as now the drug lords can

defend themselves and quit supporting the terrorists. especially in Afghanistan.

Geezer

11 hours ago, BestB said:

Has [Trump] done anything he did not promise?

That's a ridiculous low-bar way to ask the question.  Of course almost everything Trump has done is something he made no promise about as a candidate.  What you really want to know is how many campaign promises he's broken:

Drain the swamp

Hire only the best

Build the wall

Have Mexico pay for the wall

Repeal & replace the ACA

ACA replacement will be cheaper & better

Insurance for all

Increase taxes on the wealthy

Any changes in tax law won't benefit the rich

Break up Big Banks

Price controls for prescription drugs

Steal Iraqi oil as remuneration for military efforts in the middle east

Release his tax returns

Put his business ventures into a blind trust

Promised a $1 trillion infrastructure package

Stated a commitment to uphold clean air & water efforts

Deport all illegal immigrants

Label China a currency manipulator

Approving torture

Having said all that, if I had to pick one thing that fits the question "Has [Trump] done anything he did not promise?" I would nominate this: Being the founder of the second generation of ISIS, thanks to his recent decision to pull out of Syria.

38 minutes ago, attrayant said:

That's a ridiculous low-bar way to ask the question.  Of course almost everything Trump has done is something he made no promise about as a candidate.  What you really want to know is how many campaign promises he's broken:

Drain the swamp

Hire only the best

Build the wall

Have Mexico pay for the wall

Repeal & replace the ACA

ACA replacement will be cheaper & better

Insurance for all

Increase taxes on the wealthy

Any changes in tax law won't benefit the rich

Break up Big Banks

Price controls for prescription drugs

Steal Iraqi oil as remuneration for military efforts in the middle east

Release his tax returns

Put his business ventures into a blind trust

Promised a $1 trillion infrastructure package

Stated a commitment to uphold clean air & water efforts

Deport all illegal immigrants

Label China a currency manipulator

Approving torture

Having said all that, if I had to pick one thing that fits the question "Has [Trump] done anything he did not promise?" I would nominate this: Being the founder of the second generation of ISIS, thanks to his recent decision to pull out of Syria.

But apart from these? Anything?

16 hours ago, Enoon said:

This is nothing to do with Liberalism or Conservatism.

These enemies are not fighting Liberals or Conservatives, or for land or trade, or control of a strategic seaway.

They are fighting you (and any other Westerner, "unbeliever" or "heretic" they can get at) because you are .....you.

They will seek you out wherever you are because their only aim, however deluded, is to destroy you at all costs.

There is no "safe level" of ISIS or of any of the other organisations whose initials begin with IS.

You cannot walk away from them and think it's all over.

You have to take the fight to this enemy and utterly destroy every trace of them.

And you have to stay there on watch.

No one will be able to bring all the troops home for the foreseeable future.

Trump is just giving them a chance to regroup.

They will be back now (as they came back before) and will be looking to also help others come for you.

Mattis knows that it will be much cheaper in blood and treasure to stamp them out and then keep the area under close "hands on" observation for instant control and eradication.

He is not prepared to be the man that colluded in the manufacture of the next catastrophe and the next need to send (and sacrifice) another tranche of service men and women.

Trump just wants your uncomprehending, ignorant, blind, idiot vote.

..and so when will you depart to fight in Syria? and btw since this thing is expensive and draining , don't expect to have the level of safety US troops in Syria currently have (their casualties are low), the more time that passes the more the Syrians see the US as the problem.

The US can and has lived with the baatest regime in Syria for decades, it is the job of the SYrian government to fight isis, the syrian government does not want us military operating on their soil or invading their airspace.  When the US entered the Syrian government was unable to control this area, it has rebounded and if the US leaves it will cross into Raqqa and reassert control and that will cost the US $0

Just now, pkspeaker said:

..and so when will you depart to fight in Syria? and btw since this thing is expensive and draining , don't expect to have the level of safety US troops in Syria currently have (their casualties are low), the more time that passes the more the Syrians see the US as the problem.

The US can and has lived with the baatest regime in Syria for decades, it is the job of the SYrian government to fight isis, the syrian government does not want us military operating on their soil or invading their airspace.  When the US entered the Syrian government was unable to control this area, it has rebounded and if the US leaves it will cross into Raqqa and reassert control and that will cost the US $0

I do think the case for opposing ISIL is something of a red herring. The basic reason that the US wanted to stay in Syria was to oppose Iran. Jeffrey, the US person in charge of negotiations there, specifically set complete Iranian departure from Syria as a condition for US departure.

6 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I do think the case for opposing ISIL is something of a red herring. The basic reason that the US wanted to stay in Syria was to oppose Iran. Jeffrey, the US person in charge of negotiations there, specifically set complete Iranian departure from Syria as a condition for US departure.

Opposing Iran never happened. First of all after ISIS took half the country in 2014, the US was forced to rely of Iranian backed militia's to take back Iraq from ISIS.  After that was completed the Iranian militia's secured the borders with Syria and opened a road linking Tehran-Baghdad-Damascus-Bierut.  The US camped out in Syria have missiles targeting their bases deployed by Iranian backed units Iraq.

Iran and Syria have always been allies and the US in Syria does not affect that, it does not put any strain on that.

3 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

Opposing Iran never happened. First of all after ISIS took half the country in 2014, the US was forced to rely of Iranian backed militia's to take back Iraq from ISIS.  After that was completed the Iranian militia's secured the borders with Syria and opened a road linking Tehran-Baghdad-Damascus-Bierut.  The US camped out in Syria have missiles targeting their bases deployed by Iranian backed units Iraq.

Iran and Syria have always been allies and the US in Syria does not affect that, it does not put any strain on that.

Insofar as the US has been ineffectual in opposing Iran in Syria, you're right. But

the US has repeatedly said it wants Iran out of Syria. Mattis is an implacable foe of Iran. So is Bolton. The Trump administration has claimed repeatedly that Iran is the single biggest terrorist threat in the Mideast. Not much evidence for that assertion but it does who how resolutely anti-Iranian the Trump administration is.  Jeffrey specifically said that one of the 2 conditions for the US leaving Syria is the departure of all Iranian forces. Presumably US troops weren't going to stay just to be observers.

Yes, when US and Iranian interests aligned the US worked with them. It had little choice in Iraq when ISIL was threatening. But that doesn't mean it was happy about it. 

Archived