Zentel 400mg for deworming, Just Once?

MehrK

Hi All, 

For those that deworm with Zentel about once every 6 months. Do you just take 1 pill every 6 months (400mg)?

Or do you take 1 pill a day for a certain amount of days as the treatment (that you do every 6 months?)

Thanks in advance!

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Routine prophylaxis is one dose only.

If certain specific parasites are suspected (e.g. strongyloides) then 3 day course

Thank you very much for the quick response! 

I've wondered about the taking of Zentel (or similar) as routine prophylaxis.  What if you have one of the infestations that requires a prolonged period of treatment?  Is it like antibiotics where if you take less than the required complete course to obliterate a bacterial infection, that the infestation would be able to build a resistance to Zentel?

e.g.  I've been taking Zeltel for years, usually once annually, as a precaution.  What if I have, say, Neurocysticercosis -- which requires twice daily treatments for 8 to 30 days -- would periodic one-shot prophylactic 400mg doses of Zentel make the Neurocysticercosis grow resistant to it?

17 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I've wondered about the taking of Zentel (or similar) as routine prophylaxis.  What if you have one of the infestations that requires a prolonged period of treatment?  Is it like antibiotics where if you take less than the required complete course to obliterate a bacterial infection, that the infestation would be able to build a resistance to Zentel?

e.g.  I've been taking Zeltel for years, usually once annually, as a precaution.  What if I have, say, Neurocysticercosis -- which requires twice daily treatments for 8 to 30 days -- would periodic one-shot prophylactic 400mg doses of Zentel make the Neurocysticercosis grow resistant to it?

Very interesting thought. I have no idea and am curious about this as well.