7+ year old Samsung tv flickering

NewGuy

My aging 55” Samsung LCD tv, Model code: UA55C6200, Software Version: T-Vl6XDAAC-1014.1 is ghosting and flickering. The ghosting (starting 4 months ago) lasts for at least 10 minutes after being turned on. The flicker part is recent.  Now, after an hour, it goes away.  It seems source independent, noticed whether input is condo’s Sophon cable, True’s satellite, thumb drive into USB port, PC through receiver.

Can it be fixed at a reasonable price, and who could do that?

If I must buy a new LCD tv, where to get a 55” or 65” Samsung or LG? I’m looking for a great, reliable unit, lots and lots of easily accessible ports, and no more than 65,000 Baht. I’ve read that LG’s LCD panels are superior. I don’t care about ‘smart’ tv extras (my TOT adsl wifi is terrible, 1 meg max, inconsistent too) or how good it is for gaming. I know there are cheaper TVs out there but can they deliver a terrific picture and multiple HDMI and USB ports?

Of course I will consider, and go to look at, any recommended unit.

6 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

KhunProlitariat, hit me with the model number, can look up its specs on line. How to get the tv from Makro Sukhumvit to Pattaya Tai near the big wat?

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/th/samsung-led-tv-55-samsung-uhd-smart-dtv-ua55nu7090kxxt-ทีวี-242786?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjPy5_Pa33wIVyhwrCh2ttwmkEAYYASABEgKrNPD_BwE

That is my TV. You can order direct to your residence from that link.

KP.

Nearest Lotus Tesco to me is selling 65" Samsung series 7 for 28-30 K baht at the moment, just happened to notice that one. Also other large screen LG/Samsung model at ,what to me, seemed reasonable prices. Your local store may have different models.

Thanks guys. I consumed the PowerBuy site (hitting Central’s tv stores soon) and now need to revisit my need for lotsa ports versus paying less. My eyes probably won’t process LG’s alledged superiority over Samsung.

Any thoughts on handling the flicker?

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Had mine for 8 years. Still working perfectly and have had no problems whatsoever with it since I bought it.

I didn't talk about 8 year old screens. In those days they were still some decent quality.

If today you can get 3 year out of a Samsung you're lucky, and that I know from a major Samsung dealer.

It is a shame and a sorry indictment of  quality when a Samsung TV  is binned in such a short time. And of course, thsi being Thailand,  little likelihood of there being a recycling center to drop the TV off. 

The thread caught my eye because I too have a Samsung that bugs out. It is the known shutting off on its own defect: The TV just closes on its own. Samsung of course denies its a defect, but it's all over the internet. I can't say I am impressed by LG quality. It used to be that  Japanese electronics of Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic etc. were good, but now they are just as crappy as they are built by the same factories building the garbage of SE Asia.  What's one to do?  I replaced my iphone last year because I was fed up with the  intentional battery throttling and I will not be buying anymore i phones, not that I  am impressed by the local lava Indian caca I have either. So again, what's one to do? What's an alternative to  Samsung that lasts and is reliable? 

(I remember the old days when there were TV repairmen who came to the house and changed tubes, they stopped that in the 80's.)

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

It is a shame and a sorry indictment of  quality when a Samsung TV  is binned in such a short time.

7 years is a long time for a TV to last these days .

They are much cheaper  these days and they arent built as good and TVs quickly become outdated with the introduction of new technology and thus they arent built to last long then a few years

Samsung double image can sometimes be fixed by home user and details are available on web with video examples.  I have personally fixed a 32" inch unit several years ago (bought in 2010 and fixed in 2014) and still working fine.  It involved taping over several of the screen feed contacts - nothing lost if you fail as shops will just say buy a new unit or offen replacement screen at a cost higher than a new unit. 

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

I replaced my iphone last year because I was fed up with the  intentional battery throttling and I will not be buying anymore i phones, not that I  am impressed by the local lava Indian caca I have either. So again, what's one to do? What's an alternative to  Samsung that lasts and is reliable? 

(I remember the old days when there were TV repairmen who came to the house and changed tubes, they stopped that in the 80's.)

We seem to usually be on the same page "geriatrikid" but not on this topic (but that's what makes the world go 'round).

Price/picture quality, I have had great success with LG.

IPhone, on my 5th one now (because of dropping etc) and there will be a 6th when necessary. Being near an official Apple store has been a huge bonus. When the need arises, they sort me out fast and efficiently at a reasonable cost.

Believe TV is at the buy lowest cost for the specs you want - all are about the same in quality bands but there is often still a large price difference (mostly in new top line models).  For basic TV believe most will appreciate HD display and many want SMART features.  But do not believe buying a brand name will offer much bang for the baht.  Years ago, (about 8), bought several TCL models and they are still operating.  Have since bought two local Thai branded units and they are working fine.  At current costs for normal units do not feel paying extra to be worth while - almost all will work for warranty time and beyond that time most branded units will cost more to fix than replace.  The days of buying "Zenith" or even "Sony" for build quality are long gone IMHO.

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Both a Samsung curved screen 55" and an LG 55" on offer at Powerbuy Central Festival at 17/18000 baht. Remarkable how prices have dropped for these large screens.

Yes, I paid about 30,000 for a 55" Samsung in January 2018, they seem to have come down a load since then.

On 12/24/2018 at 12:23 PM, geriatrickid said:

I also recall paying $450 (in 1982 dollars) for my 21" RCA TV, for my first apartment out of college.  That's over $1000 in today's money.  For 21".

And that '80's TV repairman charged more to fix a 21" TV than I paid for my 40" LED TV's new in the box.

Not to mention buying the "upgraded" 15" screen monitor for my first PC, and it cost me $750 in around 1989.  The upgrade was the 640 x 480 resolution and color.  Before that, I had a monochrome 12" screen and it cost me as much as today's 40" LEDs.

The good old days weren't so good for TV's.  But that 21" did last a loooong time. 

Back to the OP, I had great luck with 3 TCL TV's in Bangkok, especially at the price.  One was 40" at 1080P, one 40" at 4K and one 50" at 4K.  The "Smart" TV feature seemed a little klunky, but they all performed great as computer monitors.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I also recall paying $450 (in 1982 dollars) for my 21" RCA TV, for my first apartment out of college.  That's over $1000 in today's money.  For 21".

Actually that would be $1,179 as inflation $2.62 for that time period.  I paid the same price in 1966 for first 21" color TV for parents and indeed used store credit as that was about $3,500.  TV's used to be a major expense - now the standard size 32 (which 21 was for many years) is under $200 in today's money - about the same as a first class hotel room for one night in USA.

https://www.saving.org/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1.00&year=1966

Archived