Cannabis growers will be given guidelines: Prajin

webfact

Cannabis growers will be given guidelines: Prajin

By The Nation

d02eb6b413ec346bd64cf8acfb92f42e.jpeg

File photo

FARMERS planning to grow cannabis once it is legalised for medical and research purposes next month have been told to contact authorities.

“Interested persons should start studying relevant information on how to select cannabis varieties, prepare hothouses and control the temperature,” Justice Minister ACM Prajin Juntong said yesterday. 

He said the Office of Narcotics Control Board, the Public Health Ministry and the Education Ministry would provide farmers with information.

“Contact these authorities for training,” he recommended. 

The National Legislative Assembly is currently deliberating a draft on the legalisation of medical marijuana, and Prajin said he expects the law to go into effect next month.

He said that once the law is introduced, farmers will get an even clearer guideline on where to grow cannabis.

“But as of now, everyone can rest assured that Thailand and its people will benefit from the legalisation of medical marijuana,” he said. 

Civic organisations have recently cried foul after discovering that all cannabis-related patent applications filed with the Intellectual Property Department, so far, had come from foreigners.

Some have wondered whether the authorities’ push for legalisation of medical marijuana is intended to grant monopolies to pharmaceutical companies that are already producing marijuana-based drugs. Thais have not yet had an opportunity to seek patients, because cannabis continues being classified as an illegal drug. 

Prajin insisted that the Commerce Ministry will soon provide clear solutions on the patent issues. 

He pointed out that relevant authorities would also allow the use of marijuana for traditional Thai medicine and for alternative medicine, and not just limit it to modern medicine. 

“Interested manufacturers must seek permits. They must have clear production plans too,” he said. 

According to Prajin, relevant authorities will also strictly control cannabis farming and destroy excess output. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30361063

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-12-25

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He pointed out that relevant authorities would also allow the use of marijuana for traditional Thai medicine and for alternative medicine... 

Below is a typical rice shop in our village and it's not alone. I think there are at least four more within a stone's throw of each other. Remember the trendy Milk Shops? They have pretty well died out, but now every Somchai or Lek has a coffee shop and something organic to eat. If the local 7-11 is out of something, just walk 100 meters down the road to the next 7-11.

The next trend will be Noi's Alternative Medicine shops lining the roads. Thailand will be amazing, once again... 

rice shop.JPG

Time to see who in the police put their hand up to be a cannabis testing officer, the strain of THC content in some plants will be intermingled with the crop, a couple of pounds here and there, temptation will be very strong,

Prepare hot houses,shows how much they know.very easy to grow a sativa type in the cooler months here.near on impossible to grow Indica variety.i can predict what will happen.farmers will get their hands on any old seeds and go for it thinking they will get big big money like the drug lords.they haven't a clue and the police won't  have a clue what it's all about.they only thing I see happening is it'll stop coming in through laos after a year or two and be sold everywhere at the price of tobacco.

2 hours ago, johnsnapo said:

In other parts of the world you can not patent cannabis because it is a natural plant, how the hell can they even contemplate letting it be patented here ??? !!

"cannabis-related"

That would be all sorts of things from agricultural products through to pharmaceutically engineered end products, not the species itself.

24 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Prepare hot houses,shows how much they know.very easy to grow a sativa type in the cooler months here.near on impossible to grow Indica variety.i can predict what will happen.farmers will get their hands on any old seeds and go for it thinking they will get big big money like the drug lords.they haven't a clue and the police won't  have a clue what it's all about.they only thing I see happening is it'll stop coming in through laos after a year or two and be sold everywhere at the price of tobacco.

Perhaps "hot houses" is a poor translation and they were refering to the asymetric greenhouses they make here which actually cool rather than heat. 

Thailand sets the farming standard the rest of South East Asia aspire to, Thailand can farm, and this crop is particularly easy, I'm sure they will be fine.

3 hours ago, johnsnapo said:

In other parts of the world you can not patent cannabis because it is a natural plant, how the hell can they even contemplate letting it be patented here ??? !!

The patents are for stripping out the cannabinoids from the THC in order to create a medicine that doesn't allow a user to feel pleasure.  Also, there are patents for extracting oil and other constituents from marijuana plants.  Therefore Thailand has basically miss the medical marijuana gravy train due to their foot-dragging of the legalization of marijuana for research purposes.
About the only avenue left for attempting to make money is to legalize marijuana and sell it as an export product or a allow it's domestic use as a Traditional Thai medicine.  The only thing that will enable the legalization of marijuana is greed. 

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Perhaps "hot houses" is a poor translation and they were refering to the asymetric greenhouses they make here which actually cool rather than heat. 

Thailand sets the farming standard the rest of South East Asia aspire to, Thailand can farm, and this crop is particularly easy, I'm sure they will be fine.

The ideal temperature for growing weed is 20-25c with a max of 10c drop at night.also the humidity should be around 40-50% try keeping it in these ranges in hot season,dry season or rainy season.even in a controlled environment inside it would be hard and very expensive to do.youll find there is actually a season for growing out here in parts of Asia.

When I first came here in the late '70s it was almost as easy to score grass as it was to buy beer.

Ganja was part of the culture. You could get it in the cities, in the countryside, and from fishing villages on the islands, it was everywhere. 

The war on drugs brought in speed, smack, coke, and a host of other evils along with it. Just like Prohibition did in the USA of the 1920s.

What we may be seeing now is a return to sanity.

Let's hope so.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1600566/

"Consumers will be able to carry specified amounts necessary for treatment of illness if they have prescriptions or certificates from professionals in medicine, dentistry, Thai traditional and alternative medicine or indigenous medicine. Possession will be subject to conditions approved by the narcotics control committee."

This sounds so promising.

7 hours ago, happy chappie said:

The ideal temperature for growing weed is 20-25c with a max of 10c drop at night.also the humidity should be around 40-50% try keeping it in these ranges in hot season,dry season or rainy season.even in a controlled environment inside it would be hard and very expensive to do.youll find there is actually a season for growing out here in parts of Asia.

You arent old enough to remember Thai stick are ya? ????

I smoked some ditch weed in Laos that compared to outdoor California weed.

Weed is becoming Poseur stuff. Go to a Vegas dispensary some time, "Oh yes dude, we have this lovely Indica/Sativa hybrid, its called Purple Haze Cookie OG, has a minty flavour with just a touch of jasmine, only $30 a gram"

yeah right dude, I can toss a gram in a mini blunt, give me an old style Z and an Emerson Lake and Palmer Double Album so I can shake out the seeds and Ill roll of those Cheech and Chongies....

8 hours ago, l4ml4m said:

If they need help to grow it, they can just ask me, I know better than they will ever be able to know and understand. When I see how stupid they are when growing vegetables, I can guess how the weed job will be done 555

If you're the expert on growing weed and vegetables, please do enlighten us on how it should be done. 

I have 1 rai which currently lies fallow and I wait with bated breath on your expert advice on how to grow weed (or any other vegetables you know how to grow).  

If you're the expert on growing weed and vegetables, please do enlighten us on how it should be done. 
I have 1 rai which currently lies fallow and I wait with bated breath on your expert advice on how to grow weed (or any other vegetables you know how to grow).  

Think he's talking hydroponics...

Sent from my ARE-AL00 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"authorities would also allow the use of marijuana for traditional Thai medicine..."

If marijuana has never been used as a treatment in the past, how can it be "traditional"?

Because marijuana has been used widely in traditional thai medicine for centuries before it was banned after the "war on drugs" started.

Look it up..

On 12/25/2018 at 11:35 AM, happy chappie said:

The point is that with a well designed roof the growing season can be extended, not increased to all year round.

Archived