Small wood-turning lathe.

Crossy

I fancy a spot of wood turning, not done it for years but had great fun at school.

Soooo, one needs a lathe, say 12" swing x 15" bed (I anticipate bowls and the like rather than great long spindles).

In and around Bangkok, I'd rather buy locally to avoid issues with duty and the like.

Something like this:-

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L1ZD13U/ref=emc_b_5_i

3427.main_1800x1800.jpg?v=1543527636

My dad had the electric-drill attachment, could be an option if it's really cheap (< 100 US).

That Lazada one is a toy, only 150mm swing, good for making egg cups (which I do have on my list).

EDIT I don't mind buying (and paying for) the right tools, I'm still working at present and want anything I buy to last into my retirement years.

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My dad had the electric-drill attachment, could be an option if it's really cheap (< 100 US).

That Lazada one is a toy, only 150mm swing, good for making egg cups (which I do have on my list).

EDIT I don't mind buying (and paying for) the right tools, I'm still working at present and want anything I buy to last into my retirement years.

Hope all goes well , help you to keep your peelers off us lot ! an ex hobby of mine my fave wood was yew.

• Like 1

I can virtually guarantee that hardwarehouse beside the bang na-chonbury express way will have a few. They have expanded their shop to about 8 times bigger than the last time I was there.

also thaicarpenter http://www.thaicarpenter.com/index.php?lay=show&amp;ac=cat_show_pro_detail&amp;pid=1182847

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I can virtually guarantee that hardwarehouse beside the bang na-chonbury express way will have a few. They have expanded their shop to about 8 times bigger than the last time I was there.

You got a Google Maps pointer or GPS co-ords please?

Wood turning is the second best form of instant gratification that I know of. We all know what the first is.

When I was a teenager, the school wood shop taught many disciplines. Wood turning fast became my favourite at about 14 years old. I set up a little shop in a garage with money earned from my buy/sell bicycle business and cranked out bowls, vases, pipe holders, floor stand ash trays and lots of other things. Then came 16 years old and a drivers license. My interest turned to cars and girls.

At about 40 years old, stress of business was driving me nuts. I needed a diversion. So once again, I set up a hobby shop. "Turning" was again my favourite activity. Having a little more liquidity this time around, I moved from one lathe to another. My most valuable and favoured tool was the All-in-One, multi-purposed Shopsmith; switch devices and do almost anything from the main power plant the DIYer could dream up. I just checked Google and the Shopsmith is still alive and well (but much more of a tool than Crossy is looking for at this time).

Wood turning is a blast. My second foray into wood turning did its job, relieved the stress, no Prozac required thank you.

Crossy, this is a great idea you have. But I would encourage you to go a little more than basic equipment. Variable speed (without switching pulleys) is available on some machines today and it is a priceless feature.

Hope to see some turning-samples down the road.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

You got a Google Maps pointer or GPS co-ords please?

No problem.

Do wear comfortable footwear and be prepared to spend several hours if you want to have a chance to go round the complete shop. I would estimate that it is significantly bigger the Ikea at megabangna

IMG_6108.thumb.PNG.d7f378db1bad741a7441195556459377.PNG

do go past the front of the store as the new undercover parking is just after it.

IMG_6107.thumb.PNG.a2e3e62e614f9a89d16f44fa3fcc9b3c.PNG

IMG_6106.PNG.a4d936dd021029dc589394483fc46777.PNG

https://www.hardwarehouse.co.th/store-locator/

Google review of HARDWAREHOUSE - Bangna by chonpakorn phongphisist
https://goo.gl/maps/ysJSDdsRgJs

(13.5902752, 100.8275920)

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

Any advances on this Crossy? Cost? 

As a qualified metal machinist I never want to see another metal lathe or milling machine for as long as I live. 

But a complete wood turning outfit with face plates and chisels is an option. 

They turn good timber into charcoal around here. 

4 minutes ago, sipi said:

I might look around udon next week. 

Check out the coloring in these cuts.  I could have a field day with just one log instead of burning it.

IMG_20181229_105232.jpg

IMG_20181229_105259.jpg

Probably not worth bothering, the only place where you have a chance is ToolPro on the ring road and while I've never looked I'm sure I would have noticed a lathe.

There is one small independent seller on soi Jinkakarm very near the lights at Thaharn road who is a faint possibility.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Probably not worth bothering, the only place where you have a chance is ToolPro on the ring road and while I've never looked I'm sure I would have noticed a lathe.

There is one small independent seller on soi Jinkakarm very near the lights at Thaharn road who is a faint possibility.

Might try making one.... later. 

Shouldn't be too hard to knock up a tail stock, tool guide and face plate. 

17 hours ago, sipi said:

Any advances on this Crossy? Cost? 

I was looking at this from Thaicarpenter http://www.thaicarpenter.com/เครื่องมือ/งานกลึง/เครื่องกลึงไม้-1218-wood-turning-lathe.html big enough for everything I plan on doing.

P1014731(1).jpg

However, there have been suggestions that their quality isn't wonderful. That said, the price is right and they're not actually far from us, I'll drop them a mail (in Thai) after the holidays to see when they will have stock and possibly have a look.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I was looking at this from Thaicarpenter http://www.thaicarpenter.com/เครื่องมือ/งานกลึง/เครื่องกลึงไม้-1218-wood-turning-lathe.html big enough for everything I plan on doing.

P1014731(1).jpg

However, there have been suggestions that their quality isn't wonderful. That said, the price is right and they're not actually far from us, I'll drop them a mail (in Thai) after the holidays to see when they will have stock and possibly have a look.

Hey that isn't bad.  300mm dia, variable speed and expandable bed. Prices look ok.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

P1014731(1).jpg

They are very friendly nice people & have 2 places, the main shop in central Nakhon Pathom which is a bit on the small side and the other just off route 4 on the way back to Bangkok which is the wear-house and production facility for their own products. 

• Like 1

Try having a look on Priceza.com they will show results for Lazada plus a lot of others.

Or try this place http://www.waantong.com/DM460T.html  he has a few different ones, but searching is a bit of a pain unless you know the brand.  I normally google "waantong.com wood lathe" for example and that gets me a fair indication of what he has.

Cheers

10 hours ago, Litlos said:

Try having a look on Priceza.com they will show results for Lazada plus a lot of others.

Or try this place http://www.waantong.com/DM460T.html  he has a few different ones, but searching is a bit of a pain unless you know the brand.  I normally google "waantong.com wood lathe" for example and that gets me a fair indication of what he has.

Cheers

Waantong is good they have a good selection, I got a good impact driver from them