Adoption Thai child

motorcycguy

I looked into adopting my wife’s two children from a previous marriage a couple of years ago.  Extremely difficult to do and a subject best discussed with a lawyer.  Though given you are not married to the mother of the child, you will have little chance I believe.

craighj

visit this site, http://www.dcy.go.th/webnew/oppnews/    you will find some information, don't contact them by e-mail unless you write in Thai otherwise they will not answer, but a phone call is answered and they speak decent English.... if you are in BKK can visit them and get legal advice in your case it will hard but never know unless one asks... good luck

caring, warmth friendship, protection and love are priceless and worth much more than any paper

You don't need a lawyer yet but if and when you do make sure they have done a number of them and make sure it isn't a friend of a friend thing?

I did this 12 years ago started with a lawyer thereafter I quickly learn he was winging it learning as he went.  

Somehow my paperwork got to this Thai agency in Bangkok which might be the one posted by member Mavideol?

Wife and I were contacted by the agency to come in and speak to them, basically, I was told why was I using a lawyer or this lawyer, in the end, we were told since I want to adopt and keep the child in Thailand that they would do it for free.

I thought the people working for the agency spoke some of the best English even today after living here so long I had no problem following their instructions.

You not being married will be a problem the objective of adoption you don't walk away like a Thai?  There are also guidelines of financial support, Embassy, home country/Thailand criminal background check, a number of interviews including home and before one could apply must have lived in Thailand for six straight months.

You might also consider going to your local Amphur to register yourself as a guardian,  my brother did something in this manner?

it will be very very expensive if using a lawyer. long drawn out process. some people i know have been successful but took long time. my wife and i tried for two orphan children after the tsunami after

long discussions with our lawyer and the cost and no guarantee it would be approved anyway we were

told we would be better off just donation money to a orphanage of our choice, this was not want we wanted,

we are financial to help someone or two, have a lovely villa and pets and thought 2 children would just love to grow up in this environment, we also said we would be happy for any child to visit immediate family or

vica-versa in the end it just plan too hard.... do as someone else recommended and save your hard earned money just become a good step-dad and look after them as best as possible no use handing money away ...

good luck..

ps i should have added as orphans we would have assumed they had no immediate family otherwise they would have been taken it. thais are still proud people..

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

visit this site, http://www.dcy.go.th/webnew/oppnews/    you will find some information, don't contact them by e-mail unless you write in Thai otherwise they will not answer, but a phone call is answered and they speak decent English.... if you are in BKK can visit them and get legal advice in your case it will hard but never know unless one asks... good luck

caring, warmth friendship, protection and love are priceless and worth much more than any paper

You said "caring, warmth friendship, protection and love are priceless and worth much more than any paper" but as a US Citizen once I adopt my niece she immediately becomes a US Citizen and can get her a US Passport so she can go to US anytime she wants without a visa and can apply to schools in US. Have plenty of relatives she could stay with. Her mom owns her own company ,owns 5 houses and 1 condo and wishes me to adopt her so she can have better life in US.

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

You said "caring, warmth friendship, protection and love are priceless and worth much more than any paper" but as a US Citizen once I adopt my niece she immediately becomes a US Citizen and can get her a US Passport so she can go to US anytime she wants without a visa and can apply to schools in US. Have plenty of relatives she could stay with. Her mom owns her own company ,owns 5 houses and 1 condo and wishes me to adopt her so she can have better life in US.

you didn't mention any nationalities, your wife owning property and a company is irrelevant, adoption process is a pain in the rear as many biological fathers don't give their consent.... adopting a relative (you mention your niece) may be a different process, is her father a live, what grounds to adopt, do you have the means, these are just a couple of the questions, they will have much more, don't take my word for it, call DCY and request a preliminary meeting..... I don't know and not sure that an adopted child can automatically become a citizen of the adopted country, first process it's the adoption (can take 1-2 sometimes 3 years, good luck) and then he/she has to request the nationality

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

are you married????   not to confuse adoption with citizenship..... 2 complete different things

Archived