Forty-two killed, more than 400 injured on first day of holiday

snoop1130

18 hours ago, Searat7 said:

How do they open extra lanes on highways ?  By letting drivers legally drive in breakdown lane ?  If so a very bad idea

Driving from Sa Kaew to Buriram on Friday they closed the downhill lane heading thru Non Din Daeng totally and only allowed traffic heading into Isaan to pass. Excellent idea and saved many hours. 

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thai courts had on December 27 ordered traffic law violators in 514 cases to be on probation - nine drunk drivers among whom were ordered to wear Electronic Monitoring (EM) devices and banned from going out at night during 10pm-4am for 15 days.

That'll sort them out.... with such harsh penalties the rest will fall into line..... 

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

42 dead, 432 injured - basically the same as every other day

no wasn't it 61 dead every day as we got nominated for the most dead people on the road 2017?

it is improving the military is doing great things in thailand , i am sure!

20 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

i'm sure they can do better.

Come on Thailand.

They need the Number one slot. cant go loosing face on this one.

So you want more people to die , children , babies older people ...get a life ...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TMNH said:

"are killed"...pathetic. When a third world country has no desire to curb all of these deaths(over and above the fault of drunk drivers), then you remain a 3rd world country. And rely on Farang's money to help your economy. Idiots.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Thailand is neither third world nor dependent on the money of 'farangs' to help their economy. Our money is merely a drop in the bucket to them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Thailand is neither third world nor dependent on the money of 'farangs' to help their economy. Our money is merely a drop in the bucket to them.

Yes its funny how big bwana and his pissy little pension saved for happy hours still thinks the natives are dependant on him for their very survival 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Number ONE is NUMBER ONE....No matter what !

I predict that the number of fatalities will actually decline this year.

Why ? because so many have already killed each other on the roads over the last few years, that there are less left to commit the annual carnage.

5 hours ago, nickmondo said:

one day, somebody in this country, in government, will finally realise that the reason for all of these crashes is that the Thai people are NOT taught to drive!!!!!!!!!!!

Its so simple to see this!

Why cant they?

As you all know, we have all had loads of instruction, and had to take written and practical exams before being allowed behind the wheel unsupervised.

Thai drivers are all unsupervised learners.

Blooming heck.  There has to be somebody in government with enough intelligence to grasp this simple concept!

People in Thailand can drive very well. Very well actually. Handling those motorbides like they were born on one, driving cars like it was second nature. They drive so well that it allows the to survive most of the time at high speed on the roads. Which is the main reason for the death tolls. And the reason why they drive so fast is that there is just about no fear of consequences from police in this country, coupled with a culture of no-responsibility about anything. They kill or injure and disable someone, there is a reason for that, other than their own recklessness. Always a reason except them. That is the problem in Thailand.

3 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but third world is a euphemism for uncivilised. Which has this definition: A civilized society or country has a well developed system of government, culture, and way of life and that treats the people who live there fairly:

Synonyms & Antonyms for civilized

Synonyms

accomplished, couth, cultivated, cultured, genteel, polished, refined

Antonyms

barbaric, barbarous, philistine, uncivilized, uncultured, ungenteel, unpolished, unrefined

Now when one is afraid of using his horn to indicate danger on the road, by fear of being shot dead or beaten to death, hardly shows any level of civilisation. When people drive on these roads without any concens about others safety. When people can hardly add, multiply or subtract without a calculator, hummm. When teens can show their manhood only according the decibel level of their motorbikes, and can only drive it while showing an ugly tattoo, and puffing away on a stinky cigarette, makes you wonder about their level of civilisation. And when I see that apes have better table manners than many of them, eating with their mouth open is prevalent at thai tables....

So obviously, I do question them being out of the third world...  But I do find it strange that Thailand do care about the security of its country, with all the rules governing people wanting to come visit or live here, while not seeming to care about the safety of its people....and visitors.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but third world is a euphemism for uncivilised. Which has this definition: A civilized society or country has a well developed system of government, culture, and way of life and that treats the people who live there fairly:

Synonyms & Antonyms for civilized

Synonyms

accomplished, couth, cultivated, cultured, genteel, polished, refined

Antonyms

barbaric, barbarous, philistine, uncivilized, uncultured, ungenteel, unpolished, unrefined

Now when one is afraid of using his horn to indicate danger on the road, by fear of being shot dead or beaten to death, hardly shows any level of civilisation. When people drive on these roads without any concens about others safety. When people can hardly add, multiply or subtract without a calculator, hummm. When teens can show their manhood only according the decibel level of their motorbikes, and can only drive it while showing an ugly tattoo, and puffing away on a stinky cigarette, makes you wonder about their level of civilisation. And when I see that apes have better table manners than many of them, eating with their mouth open is prevalent at thai tables....

So obviously, I do question them being out of the third world...  But I do find it strange that Thailand do care about the security of its country, with all the rules governing people wanting to come visit or live here, while not seeming to care about the safety of its people....and visitors.

Thank you for the research, i consider my bubble duly burst.

"When (teens) men can show their manhood only according the decibel level of their motorbikes, and can only drive it while showing an ugly tattoo, and puffing away on a stinky cigarette, makes you wonder about their level of civilisation." 

Image result for hells angels on motorbikes smoking weed

Most of the negative comments about Thais can also be applied to certain groups in western countries too. Road rage is common in the west as well as bad manners.

You know that, as most people do.

However,sadly, I do agree with your last paragraph.

Given that Thailand is "such a bad place", I assume you do not waste your life here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since Ive recently received a spanking for writing the truth, I've got to be careful what I write here!!!!! This is coming from an American from the US state of Massachusetts which supposedly has some of the most aggressive drivers inside the US. Ive always felt unsafe driving on Thai roads as a passenger and also driving a vehicle. I don't know what the solution is to make Thai road's safer but in America its definitely hit the wallet and jail time for DUI (Driving Under the Influence), and also speeding. Or instead of drinking and driving how about stay home and get wasted there if that's what you want to do instead of wasting innocent people!

On 12/28/2018 at 6:11 PM, Searat7 said:

How do they open extra lanes on highways ?  By letting drivers legally drive in breakdown lane ?  If so a very bad idea

Motorbike, pedestrian, passing, slow vehicle, and emergency lane. They are getting multiple things done with that single lane! Why in the heck is this not catching on everywhere? 

Edited by direction BANGKOK

Well, anyone who knows how the counting system works in Thailand, knows that if they die on the way to the hospital or once they are in the hospital, they are NOT counted as traffic fatalities.  SO, add at least another 10 % to that.  Thailand's amazing population control system and it works SOOOO well.

31 minutes ago, travelman6 said:

Well, anyone who knows how the counting system works in Thailand, knows that if they die on the way to the hospital or once they are in the hospital, they are NOT counted as traffic fatalities.  SO, add at least another 10 % to that.  Thailand's amazing population control system and it works SOOOO well.

Nah.

There is always room for improvement :thumbsup:

Edited by stanleycoin