Does Harry Kane deserve to be awarded MBE for services to sport?

Bredbury Blue

Tottenham Hotspur and England have announced Harry Kane will become a Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE), presented in a ceremony presided by Queen Elizabeth II, for “services to sport.” Kane won the Golden Boot and captained England to the semifinals of the World Cup this past summer in Russia. The award honors British citizens who have performed extraordinary feats in their field.”

Extraordinary feat? Did i miss something.

His own performance at the World Cup was pretty subdued. He didn't have one great or even decent game. He scored 6 goals in a team game and he won the prize for the most number of goals scored at the 2018 World Cup (called the Golden Boot).

Here's a breakdown of his amazing scoring:

GOAL 1: Tunisia. John Stones' header from a corner, saved, TAP IN from three yards out. 
GOAL 2: Tunisia. Trippier's corner, flicked on by Harry Maguire, Kane headed in from close range. 
GOAL 3: Panama. Penalty (penalty no.1).
GOAL 4: Panama. Penalty (penalty no.2).
GOAL 5: Panama. Ruben Loftus-Cheek's shot, HIT Kane's foot, changed direction and beat the keeper. 
GOAL 6: Colombia. Penalty (penalty no.3).

So 3 x penalties, 1 x tap in, 1 x close-range header and 1 deflection. Impressive!

Did Harry Kane deserve a MBE ahead of his teammates for those amazing exploits, did any England player deserve an MBE?

In my opinion, no and no. Undeserved really, at worse all England players should get a MBE.

Itching for some footy debate today ey BB?... well I will oblige you.

We both know that England's achievement in getting to the semis has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. But, we did get there, and Kane was the cap, and also had the responsibility of being our main goal scorer.

So I have no problem with an MBE. But talk of 'heroes' etc after the tournament was ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Itching for some footy debate today ey BB?... well I will oblige you.

We both know that England's achievement in getting to the semis has to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. But, we did get there, and Kane was the cap, and also had the responsibility of being our main goal scorer.

So I have no problem with an MBE. But talk of 'heroes' etc after the tournament was ridiculous.

Exactly!

(Have time on my hands today Rick - holidays, no work, yes!)

15 hours ago, madmen said:

OP needs to step back and reflect on his own achievements on the world stage in any field. 

The phenomenon is Best known as the tall poppy syndrome 

What does my life have to do with whether Kane should have been awarded MBE yes or no OR should whole squad been awarded yes or no? Nothing. Still to the topic Madmen.

Archived