Do You Know About Suits?

gadg

Hi ...

As the bunch of suits I took with me when I moved here are wearing thin and custom made suits are actually affordable here, I'm looking to have some new ones made. Of course I could buy off the rack, but it seems silly to do that when in Bangkok. My problem however is that I don't know where to go. I know there a million-and-one tailors where I can have one made, but the results I've seen from different tailors are not up to what I deem good quality. Call me snobby, but I like a good quality suit.

So ... do you know who Corneliana, Zegna and Baldessarini are? Can you tell the difference between a good and a great suit? And have you had suits made here in Bangkok? PLEASE let me know (PM if needed) where you had them made.

thanks,

Rob

Everyone will have their favourites. I've trie 3 or 4, and have now settled on Taj Mahal on Sukhumvit Soi 4.

Evidently the guys next door are pretty good also.

No false promises, no 24 turnaround, no hawkers on the pavements and no '2 suits, 5 shirts, 3 ties for $150' type deals. Just good service, good selection of cloth and some good attention to detail.

Ignore the cheapskates.

Get a Zegna made to measure, sure it will be about 120,000b most likely, but it will fit like a galoooooooove.

Measura or whatever the Italian is for 'made to measure' is what it is called. If you have an athletic body, Z Zegna is somewhere in the realm of 45,000b or less, and that includes some element of tailoring to fit.

Alternatively, if you go with an Indian tailor, a good guide is how long it take them to get it ready and how many fittings.

A good suit should be at least a couple of fittings and a week to get ready, 24 hours = scam and rubbish output.

Steve

The guy wa asking advice to buy a Tuk Tuk and you suggest a Ferrari ......come on, if he wanted Zegna or armani he was not writing a query here!!!!

I use to go to Pierre Boutique near Holiday Inn Silom Rd (they have serevarl branches all around BKK), if you are attentive and precise in asking for the details before the suit is made, the workmanship is good almost everywhere. The 150 us$ packages are on cheap fabric, I use to pay 100-110 us$ for a suit (1 jacket + 2 pants) and about 10-11 us$ for a shirt, I choose the fabric I want and so far so good

Hi ...

As the bunch of suits I took with me when I moved here are wearing thin and custom made suits are actually affordable here, I'm looking to have some new ones made. Of course I could buy off the rack, but it seems silly to do that when in Bangkok. My problem however is that I don't know where to go. I know there a million-and-one tailors where I can have one made, but the results I've seen from different tailors are not up to what I deem good quality. Call me snobby, but I like a good quality suit.

So ... do you know who Corneliana, Zegna and Baldessarini are? Can you tell the difference between a good and a great suit? And have you had suits made here in Bangkok? PLEASE let me know (PM if needed) where you had them made.

thanks,

Rob

Rajawongse is a very good taylor. No cheap deals, several fittings.

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

No idea where this one is, but this name comes up quite frequently as well with the people I know who 'like this sort of thing'; apparently very good.

FOr me....well all I can say is that I pride myself on my appearance, and therefore wait until Zegna has a sale, and the Z Zegna line is about 20,000b. Bueatiful cloth, pity the cut isn't that great :-), but then again, you cannot count on the Italians for anything :_) Actually, that includes some mods to make it fit; the only thing with off the rack and Zegna is that it does have those rediculous Italian leg tapers that I hate, straight leg, pinstripe, all da way babeeeee.

Zara is best off the rack value for money I have found to date (on sale can go for as little as 4,000b a suit), but all depends on what style, I am verging towards the 'is he or isn't he gay, not that there is anything wrong with that' side of the spectrum*. Being that I am slim, neat, have the odd muscle and have short hair. All code words for, could be gay (to non gays) and definitely gay (to anyone who is actually gay). For someone who is more 'straight' then this could be an issue. Massimo Dutti is also good to go.

And yes, in case you are wondering, I just 'discovered' how to 'use' quotes.

'fun times'.

* Not that there is anything wrong with having nothing wrong with that.

No idea where this one is, but this name comes up quite frequently as well with the people I know who 'like this sort of thing'; apparently very good.

FOr me....well all I can say is that I pride myself on my appearance, and therefore wait until Zegna has a sale, and the Z Zegna line is about 20,000b. Bueatiful cloth, pity the cut isn't that great :-), but then again, you cannot count on the Italians for anything :_) Actually, that includes some mods to make it fit; the only thing with off the rack and Zegna is that it does have those rediculous Italian leg tapers that I hate, straight leg, pinstripe, all da way babeeeee.

Zara is best off the rack value for money I have found to date (on sale can go for as little as 4,000b a suit), but all depends on what style, I am verging towards the 'is he or isn't he gay, not that there is anything wrong with that' side of the spectrum*. Being that I am slim, neat, have the odd muscle and have short hair. All code words for, could be gay (to non gays) and definitely gay (to anyone who is actually gay). For someone who is more 'straight' then this could be an issue. Massimo Dutti is also good to go.

'fun times'.

My first suit was a Valentino....very noice. So, it goes without saying that I have been fussy ever since. I've had some nightmare experiences with tailors here in Bangers, but I did get one done with Rajawongse not to long ago, and for what you get, it is great value.

Gotta say though, Steve is right, and those Italians really do make a good suit. The one I had made recently was perfectly acceptable, but the material I had on my Italian suits looks and felt great. Night and day really. Would love to have a Zegna suit in the wardrobe (in homage to Paul Keating...great man, great man), but alas, I'm one who always misses the sales. So until I rule the world, Rajawongse might have to do.

Quick edit: Arts Tailors on Soi Taniya off Silom is apparently fantastic. I'm talking where the Thai Hi-So's movers and shakers go. At least that is want the guay jubs tell me.

Zara is best off the rack value for money I have found to date (on sale can go for as little as 4,000b a suit), but all depends on what style, I am verging towards the 'is he or isn't he gay, not that there is anything wrong with that' side of the spectrum*. Being that I am slim, neat, have the odd muscle and have short hair. All code words for, could be gay (to non gays) and definitely gay (to anyone who is actually gay).

What ya talking about, ya Kiwi poofta.

You already admitted that you used to be a model. OF COURSE you're gay*. Denial is not just a river in Egypt you know.

* Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Zara is best off the rack value for money I have found to date (on sale can go for as little as 4,000b a suit), but all depends on what style, I am verging towards the 'is he or isn't he gay, not that there is anything wrong with that' side of the spectrum*. Being that I am slim, neat, have the odd muscle and have short hair. All code words for, could be gay (to non gays) and definitely gay (to anyone who is actually gay).

You already admitted that you used to be a model. OF COURSE you're gay*. Denial is not just a river in Egypt you know.

The "measure" of a good tailor is when he lisps; "to which side does sir dress?" with a little gleam in his eye.... Not that there's anything wrong with that. :o Perish the thought.

I rarely need a suit, only on a few occasions a year, but then i need a good, conservative suit, or tuxedo, nothing flashy. I don't know much about suits, but i can only say from the comments that i got about my suits made there by people who really do know about suits, that they are solid, good suits.

Their service is excellent as well, recently i had one suit widened for that growig waistline, and broadening back and shoulders, and they did that for free.

I know that this is said tongue in cheek, but sadly my reputation did at one point extend to a hint in Thai Raht that I might be of that persuasion*. Fortunately, a number of women at that time felt it necessary to test me, and the process of proving my heterosexuality was rather enjoyable.

Maybe I should spread those rumours again :-) Strangely almost none of the models were gay, but almost all the stylists and people who hung around models were gay. How weird is that; I often thought it ironic that gay men would like to be hanging around a bunch of semi naked buff males who had to take their clothes on and off throughout the day for a job. Certainly, some of the stylists appeared to have something made of iron tucked down their trousers while watching some of my colleagues during photo shoots for swimwear and underwear (note, like many top models, I never modelled underwear in order to protect my image. Unlike the top models however, I was also never asked to model underwear)

Don't worry Samran, next sale at Zegna I'll let you know. Givenchy are also rather cheap as well, around 30,000b for a nice suit on sale surprisingly. Of course...they all look the same with vindaloo or bolognose smeared down the front.

p.s. Kmart - ROTFLOL :o

Rajawongse and Rajah's might just be brothers and they do come up a lot.

I have used Rajah's for jackets and suits and they are fine for what I need.

Gulati's over the road on the corner is their cousin and for me his shirts are the best - I like them a bit bigger and Rajah's were too tight for me although that is my fault for not specifying.

Watch out for lookalike tailors. There is more than one Rajah's, as a friend of mine found out to his dismay. We persuaded him to go to Rajahs, but he went to one on Sukhumvit and was disappointed. We couldn't figure out the problem until he pointed the store out to us and then we knew he went to the wrong one. The 'real' one is in Nana. Same probably holds true for other stores. If you get a good rep someone will copy your name.

As another poster mentioned, make sure you tell the tailor the cut you want. They seem to think everyone wants the european or italian style of being really tight. I like my suits the american cut where the pants are loose fitting so you could move freely and comfortable. There is nothing worse than clothes that are tight fitting. I really don't understand how thais and europeans wear their clothes so tight.

As another poster mentioned, make sure you tell the tailor the cut you want. They seem to think everyone wants the european or italian style of being really tight. I like my suits the american cut where the pants are loose fitting so you could move freely and comfortable. There is nothing worse than clothes that are tight fitting. I really don't understand how thais and europeans wear their clothes so tight.

usually an issue of slimness; Americans tend to be bigger and therefore need more room.

And looks.

Gays wear tight fit.

Gays wear tight fit.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

The American fit in suits is rather dashing, I think. I particularly like how they wear their trousers so high they cover the nipples. It's a good look, made better by the three inch tie.

Lovely jubbly.

Gays wear tight fit.

The American fit in suits is rather dashing, I think. I particularly like how they wear their trousers so high they cover the nipples. It's a good look, made better by the three inch tie.

Lovely jubbly.

Rani in South Pattaya does a good suit. Not the cheapest but always good and he keeps my measurements on file so I can order up from Germany. If a tailor tells you its cashmere or 100% wool, ask him fora little sample and burn it. If it's a mix it'll smell like plastic, if it's the real thing it'll smell like burning hair. Not infallible but it helps, otherwise you could finish up with cheap cloth. And insist on a try on before they stitch up the lining. Some tailors use paper tissue to stiffen the jacket, which is okay till it rains. And tell them you're flying in two days time when you still have two weeks there, otherwise you may get your suit last minute with no time for adjustments.

Gays wear tight fit.

Lovely jubbly.

Or, khakhi trousers with white runners/sneakers.

don't get me started....up there with Speedo's at the beach.

Gays wear tight fit.

Lovely jubbly.

Or, khakhi trousers with white runners/sneakers.

don't get me started....up there with Speedo's at the beach.

y'all come back now y'hear.

I particularly like the baseball caps and rampant allegiance to sport teams who would move for a 1% reduction in tax. It looks best when worn with a suit to cover the bald spot. Believe me, we weren't looking at the bald spot; bald guys can look cool e.g. Bruce Willis, that guy from Pulp Fiction who is getting teh motha funking snakes of a mother funking plane, most pro wrestlers etc; we are looking at the complete mismatch of suit to headwear.

And the very short tie :-)

Gays wear tight fit.

Lovely jubbly.

The japs master that look too. It always gives me a chuckle when i see a jap with his pants above his navel.

your biggest challange will be to find quality material. i had to go to dozens of shops and bought a suit and sportcoat from three (3 is total #). i could not have xtra pants made because they did not have the material. chk the material for no poly by burning and take a swatch with you as well. make sure that buttons/shoulder pads and stitching are top quality and lining as well.

you can specify basically - italian cut. they have picks.

dont let them waste your time - indians are classic time wasters.

i have two suits now sitting in closet in usa (plus one i wantto keep and sportcoat). it job market imploaded - no need for suits anymore. :-(

Steve

The guy wa asking advice to buy a Tuk Tuk and you suggest a Ferrari ......come on, if he wanted Zegna or armani he was not writing a query here!!!!

Please explain to me how my request said I wanted to buy a 'tuk tuk'. I think it's pretty clear I'm asking for quality, for which I am more than willing to pay.

Zegna, despite it's name, is hardly a Ferrari. The fact that you suggest it is, goes to show how little you know about good italian suits. Zegna is acceptable, but overpriced. Off the rack it doesn't fit me properly. I have never had a Zegna made for me, but maintain it is overpriced.

Armani makes great suits, but they don't fit me properly. Helas.

'fun times'.

Very helpful post. Zegna's cut never seems to fit me properly, but whatever. Plenty of other brands. I'm too snobby about suits to even look at Zara suits. I have repeatedly been mistaken for gay because of my suits, so perhaps I should make an exception. I'm probably too tall (1.93) though. Your post suggests you know what you're talking about, so I'll go and give those dress-for-success.com people a visit tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Actually, I had retired to the idea that Thai are even worse suit wearers' than the Dutch (where I am originally from) and their suits are all wide as potato sacks with sleeves long enough to retract hands in. Get a fitted suit and "force" yourself to walk around in it for a while, it might feel uncomfortable at first but you look amazing and soon get so used to the tight fit that your old suits feel like potato sacks. Which they probably are. The first time I walked into a GOOD store in Amsterdam, I was converted to fitted suits. And I've never looked back.

(All criticism is not personal, just passionately trying to make a point!)

• 2 weeks later...
I'll go and give those dress-for-success.com people a visit tomorrow.

So that is exactly what I did. Victor (the son) seems is a nice guy and seemed to know what he was talking about. I had taken my favorite suit (a Corneliani) and he took my measurements. I picked out what was said to be a super180 cloth and came back the same day for the first fitting and a week later for the second fitting and finally took it with me the 3rd time. But I will be going back for some finetuning.

The experience I had at Rajawongse was close to horrific. The cloth I picked can't possibly be Super180, it is tougher and harder than most of my Italian Super120 suits. They keep claiming it is though. Kind of proves a point made earlier in this thread of the difficulty in finding quality material. But the material was the least of my worries.

As said, I like a TIGHT cut. And no, I'm not gay. Thats just how I think a suit looks best and how most people who look good in a suit have their suit, Italian / British style. Jesse (the dad, the tailor) kept ridiculing me for not wanting to wear his potatosack designs and once actually said (of course, after I had made a down payment) that he would not have made the suit if he had known about my preferences. He kept trying to force his view on me and simply seemed uncapable of listening to another view. I respect someone who has been in the business for 40 years, but at some point a service provider just shuts up and does what a client wants. He was shaking his head, making jokes in Thai (sorry, I understand you buddy) with his assistents, etc. Absolutely uncalled for. And even after telling him and SHOWING him what I wanted, the pants still came out too big.

Tailors in Thailand are notorious for their 'we like it big' style, just look around anywhere here (or elsewhere in Asia) and I was warned about that. But you would think that a tailor with the reputation such as Rajawongse would be capable of at least doing what you want. No such thing.

I will wear it twice this week and return on Friday for the final alterations. I've spent (a set price of) 12000 baht on this suit and so I will make the best I can out of it. I'll be taking it with me on a trip to Holland later this year to show it to my regular outfitter (I fly back to see my family once or twice a year) and I can't wait to hear their view. I considered going to the Zegna store, but I'm not a client there (their cut doesn't suit me) so I feel awkward asking for their opinion.

Horrible experience. Don't know if I will be back there.

So ... any other high quality suggestions from people who are as snobby about suits as I am?