Why is Big Joke called Big Joke?

alexlm

6 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Correct, but colloquially it can also be used in the meaning of the English word "joke".

Are you saying that Thais use the word โจ๊ก to mean 'witticism', 'gag', 'joke'?

17 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:
20 minutes ago, AbeSurd said:
Are you saying that Thais use the word โจ๊ก to mean 'witticism', 'gag', 'joke'?

Yes.

Thanks. Sadly I'd forgotten this - but I see from the other thread that my old brain already knew it really. Ha ha. Yes, it's in my dictionary.

Doh.

I'm beginning to conclude that when Thais call him 'Big Joke' they understand the phrase in more or less the same way that we understand it.

If so, that's pretty wonderful - and makes me admire the Thai sense of humour. In Britain we could have a police officer with the name Inspector Balls or Sergeant Balls. But that wouldn't be a nickname, it would be his proper name. So it's not quite the same thing.

10 minutes ago, AbeSurd said:

Thanks. Sadly I'd forgotten this - but I see from the other thread that my old brain already knew it really. Ha ha. Yes, it's in my dictionary.

Doh.

I'm beginning to conclude that when Thais call him 'Big Joke' they understand the phrase in more or less the same way that we understand it.

If so, that's pretty wonderful - and makes me admire the Thai sense of humour. In Britain we could have a police officer with the name Inspector Balls or Sergeant Balls. But that wouldn't be a nickname, it would be his proper name. So it's not quite the same thing.

Scotland Yard has a proud history of rozzers with joke names, real and imaginary, such as 'Knacker of the Yard', made up by Private Eye, and the pursuer around the World of Ronnie Biggs, Great Train Robber, who rejoiced in the real but unlikely name of 'Slipper of the Yard'.

1 minute ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Scotland Yard has a proud history of rozzers with joke names, real and imaginary, such as 'Knacker of the Yard', made up by Private Eye, and the pursuer around the World of Ronnie Biggs, Great Train Robber, who rejoiced in the real but unlikely name of 'Slipper of the Yard'.

Yes, Private Eye might call him that. But ordinary newspapers wouldn't. And I doubt that his colleagues called him that either.

Whereas I get the impression that in Thailand it's respectful to call this guy 'Big Joke' to his face.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:29 PM, AbeSurd said:

Yes, Private Eye might call him that. But ordinary newspapers wouldn't. And I doubt that his colleagues called him that either.

Whereas I get the impression that in Thailand it's respectful to call this guy 'Big Joke' to his face.

Knacker of the Yard is a fictional character invented by those scoundrels at Private Eye.

Jack Slipper (of Scotland Yard) was real, and a very well respected and successful detective.

"Big Joke" isn't in the same league as either of them.

But, yes, I do agree that the nickname (when used by Thais, in the correct context) is not insulting to him at all.

I asked a Thai friend to look into this for me.  She got back to say that in the Royal Police Cadet Academy he got the nickname 'jork waan jiab' (or 'joke waan jiab', if you must). In Thai this is โจ๊ก หวานเจี๊ยบ and it means 'very sweet congee'. They called him that because he was a very friendly guy.
As noted in the other thread, Thais often like to use items of food as nicknames.

She confirmed what others on this thread have said about 'Big'. It is a title (informal, I think), used in the police and military, for very senior people.

As I said before, this thread really belongs in the Thai Language forum.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/3/2019 at 4:49 PM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Another example is the present PM, who is known informally as 'Big Too' (บิ๊กตู่). Any worthwhile Thai- English dictionary will tell its reader that 'ตู่' is a verb meaning 'to claim ownership without justification'. I leave readers here to make of that what they will.

I understood it to mean "to take by force". 

Archived