Tt&t Adsl

monsieurhappy

I know how to use the internet but know very little about how it works so if you reply please use basic terms.

I read in this forum about someone else with I think the same modem/router as me ( Xavi ) going to the Admin/diagnostics page and finding that their problems get "better!"

Anyway, as my problem seems to be mostly disconnectivity, when I go to the diagnostics page it usually fails on the second line ie. Testing ADSL line for sync. As this comes under the heading of "Testing connectivity to modem" I was wondering if the problem has something to do with my PC to modem operation and not as I keep thinking a TT&T problem. Anybody have any ideas on this and do you think a new modem might help?

post-13984-1172029504_thumb.jpg

monsieurhappy,

No problem at all with connectivity between modem and PC. This is indicated by the first "pass"

The problem lies with your modem trying to connect (synchronizing) with the dslam, located at the telephone exchange. In your case they are not synced, meaning their is simply no adsl connectivity between your modem and the telephone exchange.

This is almost always a result of problems somewhere on the telephone line, either inside your house or outside between your house and the exchange.

Make sure your lines from outside the house to your modem are in good order, and especially that no phones or faxmachines are hooked up without passing through an adsl filter!

Thanks Monty,

I suppose I'm just plucking at straws really. As a matter of fact I called TT&T a couple of hours ago to complain again about losing connectivity and since then ( touch wood ) it hasn't gone down. BUT! the speed has gone down to 53kbps download and about the same for upload.

I knew that "touch wood" thing never works! I just lost connection for a few secs. After I tried the speed test again and it's up to 106 kbps (13.3 KB ) down and 175 kbps (21.9 ) up. Just wish it would stay at that!

My connection has simply got worse and worse over the last few weeks and at different times of the day or night. I can't believe that even if there are 40 or more users on the same line that they are all online at the same time. Pete.