UPS recommendations

connda

I'm looking for a medium priced UPS which has the sole function of running my network router.  I'd also like to be able to turn off the 'alert' function on the UPS.  My current UPS used to beep incessantly which is annoying.  I need a new one because the my old one stopped holding a charge right after the warranty was up.  Talk about built-in obsolesce.  Anyway, looking for suggestions?

I have one of these that cost me about 1600B.

https://www.officemate.co.th/en/Product/4000615/CLEANLINE-D-850G-UPS

Mine has an easily replaceable battery but the model that preceded it had to be dismantled in order to change the battery, which werent sold officially anyway. Apparently the official battery for mine costs around 1000B.

Not sure if there is an "off" button for the beep but if not I doubt that it would be very hard to disconnect it permanently.

My experience with UPS is they all fail, cheap one, expensive brand them UPS, they all fail.

Recommendation: Try to buy one with three years warranty also on the battery. You should get somewhere for less than 2000B.

With the minimum load any UPS should have enough power.

As said have found cheap units work as good as more expensive types and in most cases failure will just be the battery - which for less than 500 baht can be easily replaced.  Unplug and open current unit to see if battery looks about the same as below (actual Amp Hour may be slightly different) and if you feel you can change it - normally very easy to do but may require loosen a board to remove.  If buying new make sure outlets are what you want - some of models are not normal AC outlets.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/12v-72ah-ups-12v-72ah-s1495-i262306380-s403926529.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.47.574a4e76h9AtaC&search=1

49 minutes ago, muratremix said:

I have 2x cleanline D-1150J 

Both of them dead, and I assume I need to change battery but I'm not sure battery replacement would bring units back to life, there is not even beep sound when I try to turn on. Any advice?

Yes, it should just be the battery. Any shop that sells them should be able to confirm it, as all those batteries will fail after a few years.

Several options, if you can find  Powerbank with the right output voltage (my router needs 11v). and are handy with a soldering iron to solder the router power cable to a usb lead. IMHO, going for an APC or whatever is likely to buy you a 650VA or bigger unit which is like a showbox - no good and way too heavy for just a router, though the power in TH is awful so I have 3 for my various bits of TV and equipment. Mind you, I have heard that the brown-outs are worse for the equipment than the blackouts - Crossy will be able to tell you about that, he's normally pretty good with thangs electrical..

My favourite option though was a small output unit from India. The problem is it was made in India so I never tried it. Sits between the mains and the router power feed and has 2 batteries in it. Around 500 THB as I recall.

11v with 2amp ought to be enough for a router, if I find one I'll drop you a line.

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That's really very kind, thanks. One question... my router says 11v. Given the fact that most power here is over rates (240v), I imagine a 1v over-voltage won't do any damage, thoughts?

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

That's really very kind, thanks. One question... my router says 11v. Given the fact that most power here is over rates (240v), I imagine a 1v over-voltage won't do any damage, thoughts?

Check your power supply output and search AliExpress for a unit with the same rating.

11V seems odd, if you're not sure please post a photo of the rating plate of the power supply.

Note, some routers need an AC supply so these units won't work.

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Check your power supply output and search AliExpress for a unit with the same rating.

11V seems odd, if you're not sure please post a photo of the rating plate of the power supply.

Note, some routers need an AC supply so these units won't work.

Yep, you were right, it is 12v 2a (I'm assuming DC output because there's a power adapter with the router (Huawei) and I've never seen 12v AC. I checked the power adapter so I didn't attach a pic. I'm guessing this unit will do very nicely. The plug has 2 prongs, so I imagine I would need to specify an EU power lead?

10 hours ago, HalfLight said:

The plug has 2 prongs, so I imagine I would need to specify an EU power lead?

No need. You plug your existing power supply into the new unit, and a lead (hopefully supplied, you may want to message the seller) from the unit to your router.

HTB1UWr6XZ_vK1Rjy0Foq6xIxVXa7.jpg

Note that the one I linked to is one of many, have a peruse of AliExpress and you may get a better deal, particularly on shipping.

This one is much cheaper and has free shipping https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V2A-22-2W-UPS-Uninterrupted-Backup-Power-Supply-Mini-Battery-For-Camera-Router/32957113989.html not so pretty as the other but it definitely comes with the lead.

HTB1AKf7X4rvK1RjSszeq6yObFXax.jpg

I have a router and a switch on the shelf that are 12V AC, it's not nearly as common as DC but it is out there (our Huawei is DC). To be sure look at your power block.

If it says 12V DC or has this symbol, then it's DC out

direct-current_3.png

If it says 12V AC or has this symbol, then it's AC out (and these backup units won't work)

alternating-current_2.png

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

No need. You plug your existing power supply into the new unit, and a lead (hopefully supplied, you may want to message the seller) from the unit to your router.

Note that the one I linked to is one of many, have a peruse of AliExpress and you may get a better deal, particularly on shipping.

This one is much cheaper and has free shipping https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V2A-22-2W-UPS-Uninterrupted-Backup-Power-Supply-Mini-Battery-For-Camera-Router/32957113989.html not so pretty as the other but it definitely comes with the lead.

I have a router and a switch on the shelf that are 12V AC, it's not nearly as common as DC but it is out there (our Huawei is DC). To be sure look at your power block.

direct-current_3.png

If it says 12V AC or has this symbol, then it's AC out (and these backup units won't work)

Excellent, thanks so much. Sadly, I ordered the first unit but they could not deliver because it's classed as a powerpack and they can't ship batteries to Thailand. Bummer. I'd alreadypaid by card as well, so not I have to trust they'll refund. Ah well.

Thanks anyway, it was good of you to shed some light.

22 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Bummer. I'd alreadypaid by card as well, so not I have to trust they'll refund. Ah well.

AliExpress are pretty good at sorting your refunds, just watch for a message in you messenger.

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

AliExpress are pretty good at sorting your refunds, just watch for a message in you messenger.

Many thanks. Good news. I know that Lazada and AliExpress are connected so on the off-chance I tried Lazada here in TL. I tried a few months ago without luck, but this time they had one. Excellent. Thanks again for your help

Off on another tangent, can I ask you a Q about TVF? In confidence...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 5:10 AM, Crossy said:

direct-current_3.png

Hey Crossy. This model in a 12v 2a config is available on Lazada. I unplugged from the mains and went shopping for about 4 hours yesterday. Came back and the wifi was still up, so far it seems to work OK, and recharges in about 5 hours. There are no instructions and the service is typically Lazada - ie confused and generally useless so I ordered a different model from Amazon in USA just in case, but this one looks OK and I got it without the usual palaver about batteries on planes which the link in China (AliExpress) fretted about and asked me to cancel the order for.

850THB all up via Lazada - BS and foul-ups no charge..

PM me for a link for the Lazada item.

Archived