Today – Sterling £ to Bahts rates, must be lowest ever

18 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Have you heard of the "One China" policy ?

The American political system is relatively mature with checks and balances, but with a president who often acts uniquely based on his own beliefs regarding complex issues, almost anything is possible, but ask yourself this, is he aware that China’s foreign currency reserves stand at more than $3 trillion.

In contrast, the U.S. has foreign exchange reserves that hover at around $120 billion. Trump’s tariffs would automatically trigger penalties against the U.S. in the World Trade Organization (WTO), and might even lead to the WTO’s collapse, which would lead to higher tariffs against U.S. exports. While it might take a while for that to happen, the turmoil would be catastrophic for American business and employment as its already starting to show, just look at Apple, was it 7 billion whipped just the other day ?

China, on the other hand, would emerge relatively unscathed as China has most of what it needs now, and what it doesn’t have it can easily obtain from vendors outside the U.S. While the American market looked enticing a few decades ago, it is relatively mature, and today the newer emerging market countries have become much more interesting to Beijing.

The foreign currency reserves which you mention China holds, are US Treasuries.  China will have to tread very carefully so that any of their actions in the trade negotiations do not weaken the US Dollar.  If it does this then it is cutting off its own nose to spite its face.

China already believes it is too deeply into the mighty Dollar, and is looking at creating a secondary currency, along with Russia, Iran, and the rest of the BRICS, to lessen dependency on the petrodollar.

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Thailand economy is building roads, airport expansion, housing, malls, trains, ports,  and the EEC. Despite the critics about Thailand when you drive around all of Thailand is growing and the country is doing well financially. 

What is Britain doing? Why on earth would anyone other than citizens of Britain want to own English Pounds. Why on earth do people on this forum not trust Thai banks like Bangkok Bank. It must be prejudice as it is not based on financial facts. 

Sure some rice farmers are not doing well but that is true of every poor areas of every country. 

Why on earth would anyone other than citizens of Britain want to own English Pounds?

Your question may be rhetorical, but I would answer the following way:q

England is still the 5th or 6th strongest nation in the world.  One clue would be that there are 6.8 Turkish lira to the pound; Thailand 41b; Venezuelan Bolivar about 320 000, on a good day!

There is always the consideration of Political Risk.  Thailand has an election looming.  If it doesn't go the junta's way, whatever comes next could seriously weaken the THB.

Check a political risk Index and you will notice the UK is somewhere close to the top; Thailand, much lower down the order.

Of the two countries, I know where I would rather have my funds.  It is simple analytics, nothing to do with prejudice (other than financial prejudice, that is).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, superal said:

www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/10605-gbp-to-eur-and-usd-live-today-service-pmi-and-nationwide-house-data

This is a sterling positive report from the Bank of England yesterday .

It has to be said it is the ridiculous Brexit uncertainty created by TM that is having a major impact on the pound . Her negative actions are costing the country billions of pounds . However its always darkest before the dawn and it could be the time to back the pound , time will tell .

Certainly Nomura (or Sumitomo, I can't recall which) Bank think it is time, in their latest report.

6 hours ago, gamini said:

You are of course referring to "Brits". who are living on their pensions. Why on earth would they go to the UK. There are plenty of other much nicer and cheaper places to retire to even if they are on a British pension. Even with a very low pound exchange rate it will still be much cheaper to live here. Yesterday I went to the food stalls in the shopping mall and had a fabulous meal for 50 bt. You think you can get that in the UK? I think the Brits are suffering most in Thailand a the sexpats.  I guess they are having difficulty in affording the bar girls and beer!

Not quite correct. The price of food in the U.K. supermarkets is far lower than in Thailand. What is equally correct,is that it is far more expensive to eat out in the U.K than in an equivalent establishment In Thailand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, allanos said:

Watch the civil unrest in China if America starts to import less because of higher import duties, and factories have to lay off workers.  It will not be a pretty sight.

Have you been to China?

Do you think people have rights there? To protest, or in any way demonstrate anti-government sentiment - online or physically? ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, allanos said:

f America starts to import less because of higher import duties, and factories have to lay off workers.

I have worked for many US companies, in China. Firstly there are no worker unions so laying off workers is easy - there are hundreds waiting to take their jobs.

Secondly, how can the US just stop importing things they absolutely rely on China for - they moved their manufacturing operations to China for a reason, to save labor costs. If they stop importing materials or finished goods they will have to close US factories, or - pass the costs on to the consumer - which is exactly what is happening.

Your chump, Trump introduced tariffs which only succeed in pushing the price of American goods higher, for his own people - no not the Russians, Americans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Not quite correct. The price of food in the U.K. supermarkets is far lower than in Thailand. What is equally correct,is that it is far more expensive to eat out in the U.K than in an equivalent establishment In Thailand.

Exactly - the minimum daily wage for service industry in Thailand is a pathetic 300 THB, so start working it out from there. Compare that to UK wages.

UK and EU bully developing nations into producing fresh produce at really low prices, so the countries will always remain in servitude.

2 hours ago, superal said:

It has to be said it is the ridiculous Brexit uncertainty created by TM that is having a major impact on the pound

TM? Perhaps it is the fault of Cameron, and everyone else that just walked away after creating the mess? They should all be held responsible and forced to sort out their stuff-up.

At least she tries to take it to the conclusion.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2019 at 10:34 PM, ThomasThBKK said:

Thb didn't rise, it's just relatively stable to USD.

Yen had a surge today due to apples selloff in aftermarkets and thats why the aussie dollar and co crashed.

Again thb is just more stable than others due to forrex reserves in usd and yen.

The whole market is LONG USD - SHORT everything else from Stocks to pound to euro to PMs.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Just wait until the US starts QE4 ... then back to 80 on DXY again..

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

Due to the inaction of our remain supporting P.M. we have not exited the E.u. yet. And unfortunately this organized uncertainty, has affected the currency market. So yes we can justifiably blame the remoaners.

Brilliant, doublethink Exemplified 

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

Due to the inaction of our remain supporting P.M. we have not exited the E.u. yet. And unfortunately this organized uncertainty, has affected the currency market. So yes we can justifiably blame the remoaners.

them remoaners are a real curse. :cheesy:

France and Germany would probably be better off out of the EU, but it would spoil their continuing dreams of empire.
No we wouldn't.

The EU is a peace project and gives everyone economic stability.

Hard to imagine for people who still think their country is an empire I guess [emoji848]

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/3/2019 at 10:19 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Better start building some very cheap houses for rinsed out expats Mrs May wheelbarrows and sack trucks needed for junk pounds when the hideous deal gets booted out and Corbyn gets voted in????

Already  under construction , as we speak , for immigrants arriving on the  new state of the art ferries

Speak  English , not   wanted ,,  Give  Britainistan , a fresh  start , new culture. Out  with old , and not before time,    We may see gbp rise ,nothing ventured , nothing gained.

Edited by elliss

11 hours ago, ParadiseLost said:

Hmm really - say, which of those countries would be better off if they left the EU?

Did Italy not just last week back down from its ridiculous budget proposals?

Be careful not to believe politicians chasing ignorant peoples votes.

Yes i understand your point..  but some EU countries just cant compete in the EU economy... basically Italy/Greece/Spain etc. its only a matter of time until it folds... it cant survive without being a Fiscal Union... England is best advised to stay away from when it explodes..

Fiscal union is the integration of the fiscal policy of nations or states. Under fiscal union decisions about the collection and expenditure of taxes are taken by common institutions, shared by the participating governments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

The majority of British people voted to leave the EU. But this goes against the grain of big business interests, British businesses that have high stakes in Europe and European businesses that have big investments in the UK.

They will try to postpone or stop Britain leaving the EU at all costs.

It is well known that government policies are subjected to the interests of big business and this is why Brexit has turned into a farce and a complete mess because there are spanners being deliberately thrown into the works.

Theresa May is something like a piggy caught in the middle. On one hand she has to appease the voters and on the other hand she has to try to work with the big businesses considering that many MPs are a major part of these businesses and their shareholders.

This proves that government leaders are not there to run a country in the best interests of a nation, but are strictly in it for themselves and why when I lived in Britain, I did not vote.

What will happen next is anyone`s guess. Who will win out? Those who voted for Brexit or big business and as for the foreseeable future of sterling, it`s looking grim.

Like it or not the main reasons people voted for Brexit were 1/ out of control immigration & 2/ The inability of the UK to be able to rule itself . Had these two points been resolved we would be in a different place right now .

Without doubt the corporate businesses are the puppeteers of the government even though MPs are supposed to declare their business connections / interests . But lets not forget that we need the these big companies and without them we would be in trouble . I have said all along that TM has a conflict of interest which will be exposed at some time . There cannot be any other reason for her stubborn selfish performance .

With regards to the future of sterling I am an optimist and think that we will turn the corner soon . The pound is in an unreal position based on the opinions of currency dealers & financial investors because of the extraordinary actions of the UK governments Brexit negotiations .  The UK is booming and there is a shortage of labour in all fields . Unemployment at 4 % and only Germany 3.3% and the Czech Republic 2.2% are lower . France at 9 % and Italy 10% and going the wrong way .

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 5:06 PM, HauptmannUK said:

What will cause it to 'bounce'....?

My half full glass. I expect the £ to increase towards the end of the year, or certainly be March next 2020. We Brits may be down for a short time but its been a while since we were beaten. Always look on the bright side, to do otherwise is to invite disaster.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, IssanMichael said:

We have not left yet and the interference of the remainers is causing the uncertainty that is affecting the value of the pound. Hard brexit is what we need no 59B payment and we are straight in with a saving of 275m a week, with the EU and the rest of the world to trade with. Day one should see a reduction in the cost of food and clothing of 8%, so let's just get it done and dusted.

Very optimistic of you IssanMichael Its 39Billion not 59. Also, no one really knows what will happen after the vote on the 14th I believe. Unless you have a crystal ball, or two?

21 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

You are wrong. They'll move because the Pond will drop to such a level that it will be too expensive for us to live anywhere other than the UK (which will probably consist only of England, without Scotland and Northern Ireland). With the British economy probably shrinking, exports drooping and essential important goods increasing, life in the UK won't be easy either. Well Mr. Johnson predicted that the economy will grow, NHS will get better and other benefits resulting from a Brexit. Let´s see if he can keep his promises/predictions. As far as Mrs. May is concerned, she says that she is carrying out the will of the people. If so, why not have a second referendum, with all the facts on the table and let us see the result then.

And what happens after the next supposed referendum? Do we go on to have a best of three? Or to go on until what the majority think is the right result? The way things are at the moment, British democracy is swiftly dying, when those elected to represent the people, go against the wishes of the electorate. We are where we are because of a democratic vote, but that vote is being undermined by those who object to democracy. 

• Like 2

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
That's what you brexiters are doing.

Giving up economic freedom of trade and travel because you fear of the evil immigrants.

Meanwhile you are an immigrant yourself in a foreign country not even fluent with the local language.

Brexit really brings out the best of hypocrisy, but i enjoy watching the shitshow that is the UK, so at least something positive comes out of it.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1