Extending my ED Visa for 30 days

Hi everyone,

I am currently on an ED visa which expires on February 10th.  My family are now coming to Thailand for vacation from late February to early March. I'm not going to extend the ED visa to study for longer, because I will not be in the city in which the school is located during the time of it's expiration (unless I can change to another school for 3 months. Not sure if that is possible.)

My question is, being that I'm on an ED visa, would it be okay for me to go to immigration and get a 30 day stamp to travel with my family, or does that only apply to other types of visas? Would I be better off making a border run and getting a 30 day stamp or would I get into trouble? If I'm going to run into problems, I will just avoid it and they all said they would meet me in Malaysia instead.

Would really appreciate some guidance. So many helpful Thailand veterans on here as always.  : )

Edited by typ123

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You can’t get a 30 day extension as that’s only available for tourism entries.

A border run for a 30 day visa exempt entry should be ok. Avoid the Aranya/Poipet crossing with Cambodia.

Ah, I see. I figured the 30 day stamp at immigration here in Thailand was only for tourists but wasn't absolutely sure. I will be in Chiang Rai around early February, so I imagine that the Mae Sai border run will be okay to get a 30 day stamp and come back. I'm guessing the main issues with border runs lately have been at the crossing in Cambodia you mentioned?

57 minutes ago, typ123 said:

Ah, I see. I figured the 30 day stamp at immigration here in Thailand was only for tourists but wasn't absolutely sure. I will be in Chiang Rai around early February, so I imagine that the Mae Sai border run will be okay to get a 30 day stamp and come back. I'm guessing the main issues with border runs lately have been at the crossing in Cambodia you mentioned?

Yes, Mae Sai should be okay.

Yes, Aranya has been a problem for some time.