My wife is Thai national we married and got registered in India, we are going stay back in Thailand, do we need to register again in Thailand ? If so what are the necessary documents and procedure ?

Himakar

Hi, I am Indian and my wife is Thai national and having OCI card (Overseas Citizenship of India). We recently got married in India and attained Marriage Registration Certificate in India. Now we are going to live in Bangkok , so do we need to apply for marriage certificate again in Thailand ? Or is marriage certificate gave by Indian government is valid as proof in Thailand. If we need to register again in Thailand what are the rules and what are the documents required, please guide us. Thank you.

Hi Himakar, You should go to Thai embassy to ratify/accept your marriage certificate prior to coming to Thailand,  for the Thai government will then accept the marriage certificate as being valid proof that you are man and wife, and there is no requirement for the foreigner (you) to register the marriage again in Thailand, unless you intend to seek a Non-O "Marriage Visa". When arriving to Thailand then after previous ordeal, your wife should go to local Amphur (district office) to fill the Kor Por 22 updating her marital status. 

If you're applying for a Non-O visa based on marriage:

Marriage visa requirements when married outside of Thailand:

A foreigner who has married a Thai national in a country other than Thailand, and who wishes to apply for a marriage visa will need to take the following steps:

- Visit their countries Embassy in Bangkok with the original marriage certificate. This will be verified by Embassy staff as real and valid and will then be officially stamped.
- Have the marriage certificate translated into Thai.
- The translated version of the marriage certificate should then be presented to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. They will then verify its legality and stamp it.
- Take the translated wedding certificate to your local amphur office or town hall in the location you intend to make your Thai home. This office then has the responsibility to register the marriage into the relevant system. Such registration will allow cross-referencing and can be used when applying for the actual Thai marriage visa.
- To secure a marriage visa the above registration reference, required documentation and proof of income as per Thai government regulations pertaining to marriage visa applications then need to be processed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jabis,

Thank you for elobarate reply. It's very useful. I came to bangkok on tourist visa, so can I covert it to non o marriage visa after registering our marriage in Thai ? If it's possible then please tell me where to apply and how much it cost to convert.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, Himakar said:

Hi jabis,

Thank you for elobarate reply. It's very useful. I came to bangkok on tourist visa, so can I covert it to non o marriage visa after registering our marriage in Thai ? If it's possible then please tell me where to apply and how much it cost to convert.

Focus on the things you need to do as outlined clearly above and the rest will make more sense after you have began the process. One step at a time.

Jabis has given you a very good response and his information is clear. However if you are already in Thailand on a TV then you have missed a couple of important steps.

You need to have your marriage certified in the country of marriage (India ?)

You need the Thai Consulate in that country ( India ?) to Certify the document

You then need this to be translated to Thai and certified at the MFI in Bangkok. 

You can then obtain the KP22 at your local Ampur. The KP22 is then used as part of the package to obtain your visa extension for marriage.

You can not convert from Tourist visa to 'marriage visa'. You will need to leave Thailand and obtain an OA visa and progress from there.

Hope that helps

On 2/5/2019 at 9:22 AM, pagan1 said:

Jabis has given you a very good response and his information is clear. However if you are already in Thailand on a TV then you have missed a couple of important steps.

You need to have your marriage certified in the country of marriage (India ?)

You need the Thai Consulate in that country ( India ?) to Certify the document

You then need this to be translated to Thai and certified at the MFI in Bangkok. 

You can then obtain the KP22 at your local Ampur. The KP22 is then used as part of the package to obtain your visa extension for marriage.

You can not convert from Tourist visa to 'marriage visa'. You will need to leave Thailand and obtain an OA visa and progress from there.

Hope that helps

Thank you everyone. Yes I missed the step of getting certified in India. I need to get stamp on my marriage visa from Ministry of External Affairs in India not Thai Consultate. I am following the guidelines given by you guys. Thank you once again.

On 1/7/2019 at 6:54 AM, jabis said:

Hi Himakar, You should go to Thai embassy to ratify/accept your marriage certificate prior to coming to Thailand,  for the Thai government will then accept the marriage certificate as being valid proof that you are man and wife, and there is no requirement for the foreigner (you) to register the marriage again in Thailand, unless you intend to seek a Non-O "Marriage Visa". When arriving to Thailand then after previous ordeal, your wife should go to local Amphur (district office) to fill the Kor Por 22 updating her marital status. 

If you're applying for a Non-O visa based on marriage:

Marriage visa requirements when married outside of Thailand:

A foreigner who has married a Thai national in a country other than Thailand, and who wishes to apply for a marriage visa will need to take the following steps:

- Visit their countries Embassy in Bangkok with the original marriage certificate. This will be verified by Embassy staff as real and valid and will then be officially stamped.
- Have the marriage certificate translated into Thai.
- The translated version of the marriage certificate should then be presented to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. They will then verify its legality and stamp it.
- Take the translated wedding certificate to your local amphur office or town hall in the location you intend to make your Thai home. This office then has the responsibility to register the marriage into the relevant system. Such registration will allow cross-referencing and can be used when applying for the actual Thai marriage visa.
- To secure a marriage visa the above registration reference, required documentation and proof of income as per Thai government regulations pertaining to marriage visa applications then need to be processed.

The British Embassy no longer do this i believe .

• 8 months later...

Archived