Laptop charger problem

petermik

It seems my Lenovo laptop charger is on the blink OK no problem I will get a genuine replacement brought over from the UK at the end of next month...in the meantime I have been offered the loan of a similar charger i.e. connections are for a Lenovo USB type but the output amps are slightly higher than my current one 2.25 amps,the replacement is rated at 3.25 amps both 20 volts....will this cause any problem for my pc or is it safe to use?

Many thanks for any replies.

Edited by petermik

What Crossy said. 

I have a couple of Lenovo laptops which use different rated power bricks....one is 20V/4.5A and one is 20V/3.25A...they both use the exact same connector for the laptop.   

The higher amperage one powers an i7 CPU based laptop and the lower amperage one power an i5 CPU based laptop.  Since the i5 based laptop requires less power it came with a lower amperage rated power brick than the i7 CPU based laptop.

Since the connector is the same and the voltage (20V) is the same they can be used interchangeably between my two laptops...and I've done such several times.  However, sometimes if I use the 3.25A power brick with the i7 CPU laptop and the laptop needs to draw more than 3.25A (like under heavy load) a little message will pop up saying something along the lines of charging may occur slower than normal, etc., because it can sense the power brick attached can not provide the full amperage the laptop "may sometimes" require.

Remember, it's the "device hooked to the power brick" that determines home much amps is drawn. Just because say you have a 5A power brick connect does not mean it is pumping 5 amps to the device....it just means it can provide up to 5A if the device asks for that much....the device will routine ask for less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1