Beware If You Are On Visa Run To Penang...........

SOURCE: Pattaya Daily News: February 21st 2007

SHADY CHARACTERS AT THE AIRPORT

Mystery Solved ! Those of you who have traveled to Penang, more than likely on a visa run, may have noticed individuals at the airport, who look conspicuous. Three or four, ebony skinned, West African males, laden with chunky gold chains, really noticeable designer watches, all of which if genuine would compliment the average Miami playboy, however, the absolute giveaway is the thin, flimsy, ill-fitting suits, recently unpacked, and bearing all the creases.

Trying to create the authenticity of “businessmen” they have big bulky brown leather cases, reminiscent of the “Fifties” era. What are these “businessmen” up to? I pondered throughout the flight.

The plane landed at our destination, my pondering, and paranoia disappeared, and I continued about my exploits in Georgetown, aptly named, as the majority of ladies available, were probably christened George!

Yesterday, I got a call from an old ex-pat friend, inviting me to join him on a “business” trip coincidently to “Malaysia”, he confided in me, as it was a one off opportunity, involving a “barrister” and several aides, based at an exclusive Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.

He had completed half of the deal a fortnight earlier, handing over $20,000. The return journey was imminent, and I was invited, I was very interested, as carrying a case containing One Million U.S dollars $$$$$ was certainly worth the risk, even if apprehended at Suvarnabhumi airport, there was more than enough to go round!

THE SCAM ; U.S. $100 dollar bills, coated with a government security dye, so as if apprehended by terrorists, or anyone other than the recipient, previously issued to African nations, legitimately, by foreign, mainly U.S. governments , as "foreign aid".

Anyway, I declined the temptation, having researched the facts, and various websites. My adamant friend is on his journey as we print, and I shall let you know the date of the Celebration Party upon his return. Please check out, Google-search, “'black money”, we are grateful for your feedback, and wish to provide our readers, with a “'weekly scam” column.

I think the OP might have en better engaged locking up his friend or at least forwarding information to the relevant authorities. This might mean his friend had some chance of getting some restitution as opposed to ridicule.

One thing here is that whilst it is amazing that this 'black money' scam still catches people if the victims feel unable to report or assist in prosecution of the criminals then these scams continue to proliferate.

Regards

This scam has been going on in Bangkok for years and is nearly as legendary as the gem scams.

They have a solution that they wash the notes with that takes out the dye.

African banks are notoriously corrupt and when there is a change of government the names of the bank accounts of the previous government also change to be the names of the people in power in the new government.  It is because of this that many wealthy people in Africa have kept their money in hard cold USD cash in a safe location.  No one trusts AFRICAN banks.

Security coatings of cash USD money being sent to Africa by aid agencies are real and solutions to remove these coating are also real.   The people that have been sent the coated money are always also in possession of the liquid to decoat the money!  While most of these sort of transactions are fraud or a 419 scam at best they are theft as this money has been stolen from someone.

The main issue is that this sort of thing is ILLEGAL in every country!!!!!  If someone does get back to Bangkok and are stopped by customs at Suwanaphumi, the US Secret Service that are charged with controlling movement of US cash WILL be notified and you are in "deep you know what".

Badbanker

Regarding dollar scams.

Some friends of mine did an overland trip to Phnom Penh last week. In Koh Kong (across the border from Hat Lek) they were stung paying 42 baht for US dollars at a money changer....and 1,200 baht for the Cambodian Visa that everyone seemed happy to pay. That's over $34 for a $20 visa.

Don't go there unless you have US dollars.

Question: Where does one get US dollars in Thailand?...real ones.

at the local money changer of course

Yeah, a real bight answer, of course.

No, the local money changers don't sell US dollars where I live (Pattaya). If they did, I wouldn't be asking the question....I've been to many.

Have you bought US dollars at a money changer in Thailand?

Edited by tropo

Tropo

Go to the bank in Pattaya where you change your currency into Baht. The bank will sell you Us$. About 35 Baht per $ now.

I don't actually change money these days and when I did, I used money-changers. Thanks for the info. Do all the major banks sell dollars?

Badbanker, Since you seem to know so much about this subject, maybe you could enlighten us to what exactly is the chemical needed to get this dye or whatever it is off these bills? :o

That is the thing!  Every security organisation has its own security coating and a disolving agent that is sent seperately or sourced seperately.  There are dark red ones, yellowish ones and almost clear ones and yes black ones.

Who knows which coating you are dealing and more importantly if it is a real one of not a scam.  Remember I said if it is real it is illegal as it has been stolen from someone and I hope the US Secret Service get them.

Badbanker

No, the local money changers don't sell US dollars where I live (Pattaya). If they did, I wouldn't be asking the question....I've been to many.

Isn't Pattaya where the Russian tourists go? Ask any of them to exchange for dollars. It's a good bet their pockets are stuffed with crisp new $100 bills.

Tropo, the money exchange in soi Rungland (opposite the international telephone exchange South Pattaya, about 5 meters in the soi on the left) will happily provide you with whatever foreign currency you require!

Thanks Monty. I'll check that one out next time I need US currency.

Badbanker, Since you seem to know so much about this subject, maybe you could enlighten us to what exactly is the chemical needed to get this dye or whatever it is off these bills? :o

That is the thing! Every security organisation has its own security coating and a disolving agent that is sent seperately or sourced seperately. There are dark red ones, yellowish ones and almost clear ones and yes black ones.

Who knows which coating you are dealing and more importantly if it is a real one of not a scam. Remember I said if it is real it is illegal as it has been stolen from someone and I hope the US Secret Service get them.

Badbanker

Since I don't know too much about all this and the OP said that it was "Black" money, what would be the "dissolving" agent? I would think the US Secret Service would deny any knowledge of said money and just say that it is a scam and that's it. I had a friend years ago that tried to get me involved in this type of thing and I refused. It's what caused us to lose said friendship. He ended up losing over $25k from what he said on the whole deal. It's all in the past for me ( 4 years now, we haven't spoken) but I don't think he will ever really believe that it wasn't true.

I do find it strange that with your nick being "badbanker", that you would want the US SS to catch the persons trying to change this money. Kinda funny too that you would have knowledge of this anyway.

That is the thing! Every security organisation has its own security coating and a disolving agent that is sent seperately or sourced seperately. There are dark red ones, yellowish ones and almost clear ones and yes black ones.

Who knows which coating you are dealing and more importantly if it is a real one of not a scam. Remember I said if it is real it is illegal as it has been stolen from someone and I hope the US Secret Service get them.

Badbanker

Since I don't know too much about all this and the OP said that it was "Black" money, what would be the "dissolving" agent? I would think the US Secret Service would deny any knowledge of said money and just say that it is a scam and that's it. I had a friend years ago that tried to get me involved in this type of thing and I refused. It's what caused us to lose said friendship. He ended up losing over $25k from what he said on the whole deal. It's all in the past for me ( 4 years now, we haven't spoken) but I don't think he will ever really believe that it wasn't true.

I do find it strange that with your nick being "badbanker", that you would want the US SS to catch the persons trying to change this money. Kinda funny too that you would have knowledge of this anyway.

This is a total scam. Washing the notes in a solution to remove the dye is just part of the theatrics. I doubt that any of the conned ever got close to actualy couriering the stained notes.

Edited by COBBER

Tropo

Go to the bank in Pattaya where you change your currency into Baht. The bank will sell you Us$. About 35 Baht per $ now.

I don't actually change money these days and when I did, I used money-changers. Thanks for the info. Do all the major banks sell dollars?

Any bank or exchange booth that has a board showing exchange rates normally shows "Buying" and "Selling " rates, so they will sell you $US. They may not always have small denominations though.

Badbanker

At last count there are over 100 different types of security coatings that various agencies use.  Knowing which one is used on a specific shipment is known by the shipper and the real money owner.  Samples of security coated notes can be analysed for type at several Swiss Government organisation certified and authorised to do this.

Being an honest citizen and knowing the enormity of theft (80%) of aid money to Africa that ends up in some African dictator's offshore bank account, I think it is best that the people that are involved in this deal are caught for either a 419 scam or theft of Western Aid money.

The poverty in Africa is grindingly legendary and this sort of business worsens it.  If you want to continue talking about this coating issue technically IM me!

I got the "nicK" from one of my African American Brothers in LA who once said to me in the late 70's "you one bad banker brother".  I took it as a compliment, as it was meant to be and have been ever since!

Badbanker

there is a place called timmy's in bkk, maybe in lad prao. really bad rates though.

also there is an indian restaurant on khao san rd. in bkk that has changed money for me, but that could just be because of my good looks.

sarpesius

That is the thing!  Every security organisation has its own security coating and a disolving agent that is sent seperately or sourced seperately.  There are dark red ones, yellowish ones and almost clear ones and yes black ones.

Who knows which coating you are dealing and more importantly if it is a real one of not a scam.  Remember I said if it is real it is illegal as it has been stolen from someone and I hope the US Secret Service get them.

Badbanker

I get those e-mails all the time about investing in africa some prince bla bla bla I just delete them and ad them to my spam list if it to good to be true then it a scam simple deduction the old saying is you can not cheat a honest man because he not looking for a quick buck amen

• 3 weeks later...

Every bank here in Chiang Mai offers US Dollars (BKK too). I get a $10 bill every time I go to Burma (Myanmar) on my border run (used to be only $5 though). They require a US $10 or 500 baht to get the stamp. With exchange rates today, you can decide for yourself what is better to use. But yes, US dollars are available in Thailand... Doubt Pattaya would be any different than Chiang Mai and Bangkok, seeing as there are so many westerners there in Pattaya.