Commuting to the Khlong Luang District

gc777

Hello All,

I’m looking for some insight into commuting from Bangkok to the Asian Institute of Technology’s Khlong Luang District campus, close to Thammasat University’s campus.

I know I can get a minivan van from Mo Chit or Victory monument, the journey in the morning is fine but the evening run takes twice as long. Because of this I’m wondering if making to journey by motorcycle might be feasible. I wouldn’t consider taking the freeway as that would be suicidal!

Would anyone know if there is an alternative route that would be relatively safe? I’m hoping to live in the Tao Poon or Bang Sue area or Ari if I can afford it. Any suggestions of interesting placed to live, places with a few decent restaurants, bars and condos, that would be convenient for the journey would be appreciated too. I haven’t seen anything appealing close to the campus.

Thanks very much.

By car from Tao Poon or Bang Sue it's no real issue, hop on the expressway and it's a done deal.

By motorcycle it's a whole different ball game, very busy roads, real "your life in your hands" stuff ????

EDIT You could also get the SRT (or the Red Line in a "few" years) to Rangsit then a motorcy to the campus. You can get to Bang Sue SRT from all over the city by MRT and BTS.

14 hours ago, gc777 said:

I know I can get a minivan van from Mo Chit or Victory monument, the journey in the morning is fine but the evening run takes twice as long.

Longer but not terribly. Traffic backed up from TU to the U-turn bridge is what makes the difference, adding 10-15mins. I've done TU to both MC and VM by van many times. About 40mins to MC and 10-15 mins. more to VM, depending on how congested Din Daeng is. Ladprao is always a bit better so I prefer to go to MC and hop on to the BTS for a few stops even though VM is close to where I live.

And if you can leave by 4:30pm AIT has a few of their own vans leaving from the front of the AIT Center to different parts of town. I believe these are subscription based but they also have an arrangement so that one TU-MC van comes into AIT to pick people up, all comers welcome.

Re places to live, I know a lot AIT people choose one based on AIT van access. In any case you can't go wrong with a spot on the MC to Siam stretch. You are right that the area in and around TU sucks to live in - zip by way of leisure and entertainment. (Added: From MC you have both the BTS and MRT so really most of Bkk within another 30 mins).

I would strongly recommend against motorbiking Bkk-AIT.  Bikes are not allowed on that particular tollway, at least Din Daeng to Future Park, and traffic on Phahonyothin can get crazy at peak times, plus in the summer you'll want to head straight to a shower after 40km. in the heat, dust and crappy air. And there's rain for 6 months/year.

and will take twice as long as the vans-it stops everywhere.

No, there is no real alt. and you just have to swallow it. Check TRAIN times-there is also a peak-hrs only stop back side of Th.campus and trains go softly/slowly but steadily all via BSue onw.

BangSue/TaoPoon area has lots of Thai style shophouses but not too much of modern blocks-many more though along the purple MRT further up toward Nonthburi. Rates are not very exp. over there-too far out for most. Also consider west end of Lard Prao for easy commute, just north of Mochit.

Rangsit also has quite a lot of fairly decent and very cheap condo's-assuming you will even consider to live out there.

Archived