Am I Crazy Or...?

Here is the thing, I moved in the condo I am currently living in now in May last year, in the same time with a friend of mine. The contract is due to expire in May 2007. The rent is 15000 baht we both paid a 45000 baht deposit. Now, my friend left 2 weeks ago and he is not coming back, but the condo management insists on me to pay for HIS last water and electricity bill, even though he never received his deposit. Isn't this money supposed to be deducted from the deposit HE paid? Why should they ask for more and why ask for it from me???

the condo management insists on me to pay for HIS last water and electricity bill, even though he never received his deposit. Isn't this money supposed to be deducted from the deposit HE paid? Why should they ask for more and why ask for it from me???

They are just having a laugh and trying it on.

Stand your ground and tell them that the place where the sun doesn't shine is up your rear end and they can go and stick their heads up there if they would like to search for it.

Did you sign his contract, No! Did they return his deposit, No! Has it anything to do with you, No!

Tell them if they return you 'his' depsoit you will pay for 'his' water and electricity bill.

My guess is the answer would be no, so the voting is in and the 'No' has it. On that basis then just say 'no!'

Cheeky blighters.

Edited by Casanundra

Hi,

Common practice... to ASK. You're crazy if you give it.

I rented a house a while ago and got twice this situation: with electricity and telephone... the house was already 1 year empty and both offices insisted on me paying those bills. They even tried not to give me a connection if I didn't.... and for 2 years they ringed and asked why i didn't pay...

they're trying.... I got the connection of the phone and electricity, and always told them i would never pay for someone else. Still they kept asking... probably there are some people who pay...

Edited by tracker

I was thinking the same...I thought that maybe there was something I missed, I took another look at the contract and yes, it says the deposit will not be returned unless I stay 1 year, ok, that I understand, but after that, poaying for the remaining bills? Asking me to pay for my friend??? That is really nuts. I also had the same experience with the Permsiri Village in Pattaya (avoid it at all cost, it's the first one in Soi Khao Talo), after leaving the house wich BTW I painted 3 or 4 month before leaving and changed the front doors, the deposit was not returned since I haven't stayed for the entire year and after that, they've found a missing coffee table (wich I asked them to remove from day 1 I moved in) and a broken air conditioning remote, the entire amount of 3000 baht wich was deducted from my neighbour's and friend's deposit by force. This time if they want a war, well, they'll have it. I ready to pay 10 times the amount I owe them to a lawyer then handing the money to them.

This may have already occurred to you but the situation you describe

makes your chances of recovering your 45k look a bit slim.

Last year , looking for an appt in BKK I was not keen on paying 3

months deposit and after discussing with (Thai) people simply

rejected anywhere where they wanted more than one month.

Good luck

:o

Don't really care about his deposit, he knows he is not getting it back, but having the deposit and after that asking for more? From me? That's crazy. I dare them pull something on MY deposit...Man, that's going to be some real fun

Don't really care about his deposit, he knows he is not getting it back, but having the deposit and after that asking for more? From me? That's crazy. I dare them pull something on MY deposit...Man, that's going to be some real fun

One little thing to remember alexth, they have your deposit you don't. Which is why, like faransay, I never paid more than a month deposit.

Anyway you're right to tell them to sling their hook regarding your friend's bills, nothing to do with you friend or not. Only problem is they are likely to have the last laugh, unfortunately likely to be at your expense.

Best of luck.

I'm ready to go all the way for this. Paying for my friend would be a go for them to pull something for my deposit too. Not paying for my friend's bill, would be a reason for them to get angry and still pulling one on my deposit. There is no way around this and I'm not going to play their dirty, stupid game even if my life depends on it.

Here is the thing, I moved in the condo I am currently living in now in May last year, in the same time with a friend of mine. The contract is due to expire in May 2007. The rent is 15000 baht we both paid a 45000 baht deposit. Now, my friend left 2 weeks ago and he is not coming back, but the condo management insists on me to pay for HIS last water and electricity bill, even though he never received his deposit. Isn't this money supposed to be deducted from the deposit HE paid? Why should they ask for more and why ask for it from me???

Alexth - sorry to say this happens frequently however, if you have actually got a written contract in your name it should refer somewhere in the content to deposits and payment of final bills. Also, has your friend got the same? If you have something in writing you should be able ask for the services of a Lawyer to assist you in this matter. By the way, there are a few good Lawyers around here who would help you too.

If your lease is written so that you have seperate liabilities (you and your friend) then your friends actions should have no effect on you. I would doubt that this is how your lease is written however because just imagine how hard it is for a landlord to determine who is responsible for damages done to a rental unit...it is really impossible to allocate damages to individuals so the usual lease calls for shared (joined) liabilities which mean that everyone involved is liable for all issues for everyone because that way the landlord isn't put into the impossible situation of playing the judge in matters of who pays for what or having to wait while the parties come to an agreement which might take forever.

So, my guess is that it all depends on how the lease is written. If you reproduced your lease here we could all play lawyer and argue about what the judge would say.

Chownah

Out contracts are completely separated, lease contracts, phone and internet contracts, everything. My problem is not paying for him, it's the fact that I am being taken for a ride by these morrons. Even though, would my friend brake any law by not paying his last bills as long as he didn't get his deposit back?

I would suggest just be very pleasant with them, and when they try to discuss anything about it with you, just tell them politely that they need to contact the guy whos name is on the bottom line.

No need to get upset about it yet as its just a try on their part to get something for nothing which is normal here.

Its also time to look after your own interests and make sure that all your own paperwork is in order and get yourself in the driving seat for when its your turn to leave.