New passport and transfer of stamps

I just came into Thailand at Phuket airport and when the immigration officer flipped through my passport he saw my Thai tourist visas and extensions. He then asked me why you live in Thailand so long. I said I have a Thai girlfriend and I like Thailand. 

I'm thinking of getting a new passport but the United States embassy says this on the website "Thai immigration law requires entry/exit stamps and Thai visas be transferred into new passports. After receiving your new passport, please visit any Thai immigration office to have the visa transferred. The letter to facilitate visa transfers comes standard with all passport renewals and is provided without fee." 

Do they transfer all of the visas and stamps or just the most recent one? I'm not on an extension as I just came in 2 days ago. Would it be beneficial to get a new passport now or wait until I visit the United States to get a new passport in summer? I have never got a new one inside of Thailand, I have always got them when I go home to America and come back with a fresh passport. 

Your travel is on their computer regardless of passport change - change of passport will not solve anything unless also changing bio data.  The page wave was likely just to get your attention that it has become an issue.  

42 minutes ago, joealx said:

Why not get a new passport here? it can be done online.

No you cannot do it for a US passport unless you used an address in the states to send it to. And then had somebody send it to you.

You have to apply for it by mail or in person at the US embassy. 

3 hours ago, Fluffigans1981 said:

Do they transfer all of the visas and stamps or just the most recent one? I

Only the history from the last entry to the country.  If you had an extension to a tourist-entry, they would notate the original entry plus the extension. 

3 hours ago, Fluffigans1981 said:

Would it be beneficial to get a new passport now or wait until I visit the United States to get a new passport in summer? I have never got a new one inside of Thailand, I have always got them when I go home to America and come back with a fresh passport. 

Immigration have the full-record, and will tie old-passport history to a new one.  That said, we are not sure what they see on their initial-screen, and they seem to look at every used-page in your passport, so a new passport might make an IO less likely to start probing.

The primary benefit of a new passport, is to allow obtaining new Tourist Visas from nearby Thai consulates who limit based on how many they see in your passport.  For this purpose, a new passport is like "starting over." 

Obtaining outside of Thailand - and could be done via trip to Cambodia, Malaysia, etc (not only USA) - would mean NO thai-visa history in your new passport.  That might be beneficial in terms of the IO not seeing "continuation of a chain" in your passport (though still in their system if they look for it) - and similar with a Consul at a nearby Thai consulate who has an issue with repeat Tourist Visa use.

Edited by JackThompson

9 minutes ago, joealx said:
  1 hour ago, joealx said:

Why not get a new passport here? it can be done online.

You can apply online at the  US Embassy website.

Exactly how do you do that?  You apply in person at US Embassy Bangkok or Consulate Chiang Mai.  What you do online is fill out application form and print it to take with you.

Edit:  The other option is to do by mail - same form and have to get payments to send.  You can not do it online.

Edited by lopburi3

Just now, joealx said:

Please check the US Embassy Bangkok website. You do it online and then mail it in.

Sorry but I never considered mail as being online.  What you do online is just fill in a form to print - it is not held or processed anywhere online.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will get a new passport by mail here. Do I need to go to immigration here, or can I wait until I leave Thailand on my next trip from the airport to get it transferred. Also do I need to do it within a certain amount of time or just before the date in my passport for my latest exit date. I hate going to immigration here in Jomtien. I know when I lived in China and got a new passport they gave me a big hassle for not transferring my residence permit before I left China.

18 minutes ago, Fluffigans1981 said:

Do I need to go to immigration here, or can I wait until I leave Thailand on my next trip from the airport to get it transferred.

If you only have a visa entry and/or short extension of the entry from it you can have it done at the airport on departure form the country,

1 hour ago, joealx said:

I'm sorry for being so stupid.

Did not mean it that way - can understand fact you fill out form on computer suggesting online - just that I date back to the mail system so makes a difference to me.  Wish we could do everything online.