Gillette fell into the 'progressive man' trap

snoop1130

Gillette fell into the 'progressive man' trap

by Fernando Desouches

Gillette-2-20190115021726702.jpg

It would be easy to ride the wave of popular sentiment and write a whole article on what Gillette has done wrong with its new commercial.

Like a number of male-focused brands that have attempted to absolve themselves of any part in creating historical and unrealistic stereotypes of men, Gillette has fallen into the "progressive man" trap.

But let’s begin with the positives.

For a start, Gillette seems to have understood that the concept of masculinity is in crisis.

Full Story: https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/gillette-fell-progressive-man-trap/1522981

The ad is both misandrist and racist. It obviously poops on regular men and implies that all men are sexist pigs, but it is also racist in that most of the "bad guys" are white and most of the "heroes" are POC.

Last I checked the ad had 500k dislikes and about 165k likes.

5 hours ago, DoctorG said:

The ad is both misandrist and racist. It obviously poops on regular men and implies that all men are sexist pigs, but it is also racist in that most of the "bad guys" are white and most of the "heroes" are POC.

Had to look up 'misandrist' not going to forget that one in a hurry! How recent times have changed....Cheers for enlightenment DG.

6 hours ago, Carib said:

But.... their brand gets mentioned and sticks in the mind. And that is what it is all about.

Damned overpriced facescrapers :annoyed:

And who needs the over-priced face-scrapers?

I use a 40 baht shampoo and a ceramic knife for my shaving. This namby-pamby stuff is just to nancyfy us. "Oh he is so masculine; he uses my perfume."

Just to remind the real men out there,, read on.

In days gone by the man would see a woman he fancied, whack her over the head and drag her, by the hair, into the nearest cave and shag her. All the while she would be squealing, like a stuffed pig, but secretly hoping he didn't spot a better looking or younger girl on the way to a cave.

After the deed was done and the seed sown he would fall asleep but she would get up, chase out any vermin, and generally tidy up their new home. Also, make a bit of grub for luvver boy. He would awaken, look around and think 'this is a half-decent pad'. After food, he would see the lady bending over - her fur jacket riding up her back - cleaning, and think 'I'll hang my hat here for a while'.

Of course, 9 months later, the little one popped out and that was that. Hooked!! Line and sinker.

She would snuggle up close; "give me some coloured pebbles to get a fish in the market for dinner, handsome man. I know you have some hidden away."

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

And who needs the over-priced face-scrapers?

I use a 40 baht shampoo and a ceramic knife for my shaving. This namby-pamby stuff is just to nancyfy us. "Oh he is so masculine; he uses my perfume."

Just to remind the real men out there,, read on.

In days gone by the man would see a woman he fancied, whack her over the head and drag her, by the hair, into the nearest cave and shag her. All the while she would be squealing, like a stuffed pig, but secretly hoping he didn't spot a better looking or younger girl on the way to a cave.

After the deed was done and the seed sown he would fall asleep but she would get up, chase out any vermin, and generally tidy up their new home. Also, make a bit of grub for luvver boy. He would awaken, look around and think 'this is a half-decent pad'. After food, he would see the lady bending over - her fur jacket riding up her back - cleaning, and think 'I'll hang my hat here for a while'.

Of course, 9 months later, the little one popped out and that was that. Hooked!! Line and sinker.

She would snuggle up close; "give me some coloured pebbles to get a fish in the market for dinner, handsome man. I know you have some hidden away."

That is so 20th century...

This ad is heinous, to say the least. It absolutely demonizes men, and makes masculinity look like something evil. It also reduces all men, into one camp of nasty predators. Whoever thought up this campaign should not only get fired, they should get kicked out of the country. Already the war against men is at full throttle. The last thing we need is for corporate America to jump on that bandwagon, for the sake of cynical, dark profit. Resist all all costs. Men should be men. 

And how do I feel about the me too movement? Although there are certainly some credible allegations that have materialized, since the whole Weinstein scandal broke, there are also alot of opportunists who have used this as a pretext for their agendas. Let's face it. Women have been using their femininity to get ahead for millennium. And there is nothing wrong with that. We use what we have to work with. But, the burden of proof is so minor these days, and reputations and lives can be shattered with one allegation. The system must work to establish a burden of proof on the accuser, and must set the bar higher than it currently is. The histrionics from some members of the movement, like Rosie O'Donnell, and especially the hysterical Minnie Driver, have been too much. When Matt Damon spoke out, and defended George Bush Sr. for patting a woman lightly on the butt, she excoriated him. When Damon had the audacity to say there is a big difference between patting a woman on the butt, and rape, she screamed no. It is about the same thing. Come on. There have to be limits. It is not the same thing!

I have a dear friend, who told me a great story. He said his mom was in Times Square during the celebrations after WWII ended. The soldiers were returning home, to a heroes welcome, which they deserved. She told her son that she was standing around, greeting the soldiers as they paraded by. She said she was kissed, hugged, and fondled by hundreds of soldiers. She said she probably had 800 guys put their tongues in her mouth that day. She told her son it was the best day of her life, and possibly the highlight of her life. Nearly all of the women in the crowd were kissing hundreds of complete strangers. Nobody thought it was the slightest bit inappropriate. How things have changed!

Due to this whole movement, relationships, and friendships between men and women have been changed. I know very few guys in the US who are getting any action since this movement started. They are finding it hard to even date a gal, in a normal manner, as things have gone dangerously out of control.

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

This ad is heinous, to say the least. It absolutely demonizes men, and makes masculinity look like something evil. It also reduces all men, into one camp of nasty predators. Whoever thought up this campaign should not only get fired, they should get kicked out of the country. Already the war against men is at full throttle. The last thing we need is for corporate America to jump on that bandwagon, for the sake of cynical, dark profit. Resist all all costs. Men should be men. 

And how do I feel about the me too movement? Although there are certainly some credible allegations that have materialized, since the whole Weinstein scandal broke, there are also alot of opportunists who have used this as a pretext for their agendas. Let's face it. Women have been using their femininity to get ahead for millennium. And there is nothing wrong with that. We use what we have to work with. But, the burden of proof is so minor these days, and reputations and lives can be shattered with one allegation. The system must work to establish a burden of proof on the accuser, and must set the bar higher than it currently is. The histrionics from some members of the movement, like Rosie O'Donnell, and especially the hysterical Minnie Driver, have been too much. When Matt Damon spoke out, and defended George Bush Sr. for patting a woman lightly on the butt, she excoriated him. When Damon had the audacity to say there is a big difference between patting a woman on the butt, and rape, she screamed no. It is about the same thing. Come on. There have to be limits. It is not the same thing!

I have a dear friend, who told me a great story. He said his mom was in Times Square during the celebrations after WWII ended. The soldiers were returning home, to a heroes welcome, which they deserved. She told her son that she was standing around, greeting the soldiers as they paraded by. She said she was kissed, hugged, and fondled by hundreds of soldiers. She said she probably had 800 guys put their tongues in her mouth that day. She told her son it was the best day of her life, and possibly the highlight of her life. Nearly all of the women in the crowd were kissing hundreds of complete strangers. Nobody thought it was the slightest bit inappropriate. How things have changed!

Due to this whole movement, relationships, and friendships between men and women have been changed. I know very few guys in the US who are getting any action since this movement started. They are finding it hard to even date a gal, in a normal manner, as things have gone dangerously out of control.

Sounds like my average day walking the length of Soi Six when drunk.  In the crowd kissing hundreds of complete strangers. Nobody thought it was the slightest bit inappropriate. Good old Soi Six.  Reminds me of the end of WWII. 

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Sounds like my average day walking the length of Soi Six when drunk.  In the crowd kissing hundreds of complete strangers. Nobody thought it was the slightest bit inappropriate. Good old Soi Six.  Reminds me of the end of WWII. 

Yep. On some levels, Thailand is a real antidote to life in the West. My heart goes out to those stuck back there, who have to live quiet lives of desperation, with women making constant judgments about whether or not they are too masculine. Many of us were subjected to the daily abuse inherent within contemporary Western feminism, for years, and some of us were able to escape, unscathed, others escaped with a great deal of trauma. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Yep. On some levels, Thailand is a real antidote to life in the West. My heart goes out to those stuck back there, who have to live quiet lives of desperation, with women making constant judgments about whether or not they are too masculine. 

Especially manly men like me!

9 hours ago, DoctorG said:

The 165 likes were from women who have to shave. What is it these days that people feel they have to be conformist wimps to get approval, who needs approval, except for PC snowflakes of course

9 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Well, not to come to the defense of Gillette, who have shown themselves to be a tone deaf, dumb, man hating, butt kissing, weak PC company. But, a lot of the pigs are white. There are alot of ugly white people in the US. Alot of rapists, murderers, and men who commit assault against both men and women. And I say that as a white man, so please do not even consider labeling me racist. It is impossible to be racist against your own race, to anyone other than those with paper thin skin, or the super weak PC crowd. 

But, I do agree it was a heinous campaign. Very hateful towards men. Very ugly. Totally unnecessary. Gillette is going to pay a heavy price for his humongous miscalculation. Makes me question if I ever want to use a Gillette product again. Apparently alot of other men feel the same way. 

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The 165 likes were from women who have to shave. What is it these days that people feel they have to be conformist wimps to get approval, who needs approval, except for PC snowflakes of course

Thailand would be a better market except the women pluck underarm hair and let the hairy legs grow.  At the hospital (hi so one) yesterday and the nurse had on white pantyhose with a forests growing on her legs.  My wife poked me and said I was staring.  I liked it.  Nylons and hairy legs a cultural tradition if there ever was one. 

9 hours ago, Carib said:

But.... their brand gets mentioned and sticks in the mind. And that is what it is all about.

Damned overpriced facescrapers :annoyed:

Used Gillette for years. But their quality seems very variable now and generally not so good.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

If normal flirting and even dating a girl are both getting to be a risky with all the recent over-the-top PC rubbish, then in future many men and women are going to find themselves living on their own into old age.  One advantage will be a curb on the rising world population.  

Archived