Teaching In Thailand? Info?

Nhscotsman

Hi,

I'm a high school special education teacher in the United States and am interested in perhaps coming to Thailand for a year or two to teach and was curious if anyone could give me legitamate information on teaching in Thailand. There are so many bogus sites out there and I'm sure some teachers must read this forum. Also, how many schools are in Surin? I am going to Surin for a month in April for my engagement ceremony and would love to visit some of the local schools while I'm there. I did a tour last month of schools in pattaya and was so impressed with them, especially considering they were in Pattaya.

Any information would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Nhscotsman

Hi,

I think we'll leave this post in the Isaan forum for now, unless you or an Isaan moderator wants to move it over to......our Teaching in Thailand Forum. Please see our many topics there.

I think you will find that even in the big cities like Khon Kaen (or Chiang Mai, Pattaya, or Bangkok), most schools just don't do special ed. E.g., when a foreign exchange student returned to our big govt. school after finishing high school or university, she explained that she had been an undiagnosed dyslexic student. None of the teachers knew what dyslexia was. This was in the year 2004.

Your best bet, with your qualifications, is to teach at a true international school (with proper school accreditation), and I don't know if there are any in Isaan. Of course, you can always just teach English for 26,000 baht per month to classes of 48 distinterested students of mixed levels and motivations, in hot classrooms, with abysmally poor administration, which can be extremely frustrating to most professional educators from the West.

Good luck.

Hi,

I am soooooo sorry, I didn't know there was a teaching forum and where my finacee lives in Surin, I just thought I might teach there if there were any schools. Also, I teach special education but my degree is kindergarden through 8th grade, so I can multi task...hahaha. But in US Schools, u have to be able to do many things to keep you job...hahaha. I also have a degree in computer science, so I suspect I could find a fairly decent job SOMEWEHRE in Thailand. I REALLY appreciate the reply though and will look through this forum for the teaching part.

Thanks again,

Nhscotsman