Suggested Areas in Phuket for Kids during Songkran

ncc1701d

I’m thinking of taking my kids (they’ve never been to Thailand before, 15 & 13 years old), on holiday to Phuket during songkran. Will be staying at club Med for some of it, but was hoping they’d get to participate in the water fights in an area as family friendly as possible for one or two days. I guess Patong during the day wouldn’t be too bad.

Am open to suggestions. Have found a hotel I like the look of in Chom Thong Village, just not sure what the nearby town is like.

I would think that outside of Club Med on the Kata beach road or Kata Rd there would be sufficient and plentiful action to qualify as a water fight but still be below the level of craziness that's available in Patong.  I would advise to definitely be here for April 13th as that's the main day with a drop off in intensity the following two days.

No idea about Chom Thong Village.  Chiang Mai province, isn't it?

• Like 2

Three years ago they created a neat water feature on Kata Beach during Songkran.  It consisted of a pump motor in Kata Bay pumping seawater into a pvc pipe that led back up on the beach and hooked up to what can best be described as the frame for a tent structure about 100 meters long.  The frame was there but no tenting material.  Holes had been drilled into the pvc pipes that made up the frame of this tent-like structure to form a guantlet of spraying water.  You could run through the guantlet and get sprayed by the water from all sides.  It was more fun than my description sounds.  I think it was sponsored by either Club Med or the local government.  Anyway, it was free for anyone to use.  Great way to cool down in the heat.  I don't know if it was a one-time only thing or a yearly thing.

Here's a video of the action on the Kata Road during Songkran.  Not wall-to-wall people like you might find on the beach road in Patong (about 20 minutes away).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skatewash said:

I would think that outside of Club Med on the Kata beach road or Kata Rd there would be sufficient and plentiful action to qualify as a water fight but still be below the level of craziness that's available in Patong.  I would advise to definitely be here for April 13th as that's the main day with a drop off in intensity the following two days.

Phuket, with exception of Patong, songkran is celebrated only on the 13th.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 11:17 PM, skatewash said:

Thanks for reply. The place I found was in Panwa Beach and just looking at a map the closest town is called Chom Tong Village - but apple maps isn’t the greatest. That name isn’t coming up on google maps.

sounds like the safest option might be outside club Med. Thanks for the vid - that’s all they need really 

Edited by ncc1701d

Walk over to Kata Road (video) and setup there. I would think beach road would be boring except maybe down by the Surf House which I am sure the kids would like.  Been wanting to put the misses on the wave there, I might head that way myself actually.

• Like 1