Obtain a Visa outside Thailand even though an extension is still current?

I have an O visa retirement extension and need to leave Thailand for UK - Is it possible to obtain an OA Visa from London even though my existing extension has not yet expired i.e does an existing extension date need to pass before a new Visa can be obtained outside Thailand?

As soon as you leave Thailand your extension of stay is no longer valid so there is no problem apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate.

If you had a valid re-entry permit to reinstate your extension when you enter the country the immigration officer might ask if you wanted to use the visa or it.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

As soon as you leave Thailand your extension of stay is no longer valid so there is no problem apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate.

If you had a valid re-entry permit to reinstate your extension when you enter the country the immigration officer might ask if you wanted to use the visa or it.

Thanks UbonJoe - Good response.

There is a possibility that trip to UK is shorter than expected and might find it better to use the re-entry permit. Hence as an insurance I will obtain a valid re-entry permit before leaving.

But what happens if I find that I stay as long as planned and do not need to use the re-entry permit..........

1. When I apply for the AO visa from London

- Will my application be accepted (even though an extension date is current)?

2. If OA application is accepted and I do get the OA visa

(I am not sure if re-entry permit is a stamp or separate document hence the questions below)

a). If re-entry permit is a separate document

- Can I simply not present the re-entry permit (hence no options for IO to figure out)?

b). If its a stamp in my passport

- Will it be my decision to tell the IO that I do not want to use the re-entry permit and I want to use the new OA Visa  (or) is there any slim possibility that IO will refuse to accept the new OA Visa?

1. Same as wrote before. Your extension makes no difference even if you have a re-entry permit.

2. a. The re-entry permit is a stamp done by immigration in your passport.

b. Put your visa number on the TM6 arrival card.

If the officer notices your re-entry permit and mentions it tell them you want to use your valid visa.They will not normally ask any questions if your visa allows a longer stay than your re-entry permit. It is your choice which one you want to use for entry not the officers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Same as wrote before. Your extension makes no difference even if you have a re-entry permit.

2. a. The re-entry permit is a stamp done by immigration in your passport.

b. Put your visa number on the TM6 arrival card.

If the officer notices your re-entry permit and mentions it tell them you want to use your valid visa.       They will not normally ask any questions if your visa allows a longer stay than your re-entry permit.

It is your choice which one you want to use for entry not the officers. 

UbonJoe - Great response - As always - Thanks!