Australia divided: thousands expected to protest Australia Day legacy

rooster59

26 January 1788 is the date that The British colony of New South Wales was declared.  It has nothing to do with "Australia". It is British Foundation Day for New South Wales. The Commonwealth of Australia was declared on 01 January 1901.  This occurred when the British colonies were able to establish a mild form of independence. Full independence will only occur when we cut ties with Britain and stop making it possible for the British representative Governor to dismiss the government. Australia is still a lackey to Britain and the Crown of England.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

26 January 1788 is the date that The British colony of New South Wales was declared.  It has nothing to do with "Australia". It is British Foundation Day for New South Wales. The Commonwealth of Australia was declared on 01 January 1901.  This occurred when the British colonies were able to establish a mild form of independence. Full independence will only occur when we cut ties with Britain and stop making it possible for the British representative Governor to dismiss the government. Australia is still a lackey to Britain and the Crown of England.  

I will add to this. When I joined the Australian Army, I did not swear an oath of allegiance to Australia. 

Instead I was made to swear an oath to the Queen of England, her heirs and successors.

I wanted to join the army, that was a requirement.

26 January for Australia Day is a joke. People who support this day are Aussie monarchists.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

I will add to this. When I joined the Australian Army, I did not swear an oath of allegiance to Australia. 

Instead I was made to swear an oath to the Queen of England, her heirs and successors.

I wanted to join the army, that was a requirement.

26 January for Australia Day is a joke. People who support this day are Aussie monarchists.

Yep, bring on republic day.

Interesting factoid. The high court has ruled that Britain did not become a ‘foreign power’ in Australian law until the passing of the Australia Act in 1986. Much more significant in many respects than the 26th of Jan.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, Trentham said:

Yes! Say no more. You have not included the tens of thousands in other cities. Nor have you included the thousands of small protests in towns all over Australia.

But of course your choice of avatar would indicate to all Aussies that you would have the mindset you display - no offence to Barry Humphries, your avatar was his way of sending up racist, boozy ockers.

Speaking of avatars...you are SOOOO ashamed...yet it would seem your employment is digging up the sacred ground of aborigines? Since they slap a native title claim over every square inch they can then it is all sacred. If you are so ashamed maybe you should give up your job...your house and everything else you have gained by way of your forefathers "invasion". Nah didn't think so.

• Thanks 1

My take from this is if you invade a country, remember to annihilate the original population or you run into trouble later. Spanish and Portuguese did a seemingly good job in South America, not many Incas yapping in facebook.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

My take from this is if you invade a country, remember to annihilate the original population or you run into trouble later. Spanish and Portuguese did a seemingly good job in South America, not many Incas yapping in facebook.

there were a coupla' Tasmanian survivors...

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:56 PM, canuckamuck said:

How can we handle all this white guilt, AArgh!

Lol

Get a grip Australia. 

Indeed. There is an industry devoted to making whitey feel guilty simply because he has white skin. Once they achieve their aim of making all us whities commit suicide they will no doubt move on to another colour to destroy. Given that every society on the planet has used slavery and invasion ( slavery still exists nowadays ), far as I know, the move to instil guilt will not end till all people have killed themselves from a deep sense of shame.

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed. There is an industry devoted to making whitey feel guilty simply because he has white skin. Once they achieve their aim of making all us whities commit suicide they will no doubt move on to another colour to destroy. Given that every society on the planet has used slavery and invasion ( slavery still exists nowadays ), far as I know, the move to instil guilt will not end till all people have killed themselves from a deep sense of shame.

I think there is small but highly vocal industry of white people telling white people that there are ‘other’ people making them feel guilty for being white.

Basically the same people who, like clockwork, every November,  will tell you Christmas has been banned.

Having said that I really am not a fan of these ‘culture wars’. It’s the same people on the hard left (‘cultural appropriation’) and hard right (‘let’s blame someone else’) who are doing a better job of trying to put people in their place than any apartheid government ever did. 

I dont view this as an issue one should feel ashamed about, or one to make people feel divided (though it is).

Why can’t we have an open and genuine discussion about our national day? As I’ve said before, a bit like SSM in Australia, changing the date will be a slow burn issue, but one day we will get to the point where changing to a more inclusive and representative day (whatever day that may be) will be an obvious choice. 

Edited by samran
  • Like 2