Air Pollution similar to BKK Affecting Pattaya?

SheungWan

Bangkok Lite? OK currently in the daytime with a light breeze going on, but evenings seemingly a different matter. Something serious to be concerned about?
"Only if you have a morbid fear of death"

Pollution here is bad right now. Not BKK bad, but I'd avoid exposure if possible.

Gets really bad if you are walking on second or beach road.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes Bangkok light.

I have an AQI meter and try to compare with BKK daily, on the worst days we are very close to the readings from central Bangkok.  Especially when there are no winds. 

21 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Pollution here is bad right now. Not BKK bad, but I'd avoid exposure if possible.
Gets really bad if you are walking on second or beach road.

Approaching dusk when the light contrast showed up what appeared to be clouds of seriously swirling dust around Beach Road a few days ago. And last night I walked back feeling not very well indeed. I think I may give BR a miss evenings from now on for a while.

The Thousands of Half filled coaches everyday are now killing Pattaya and the Mayor and ppl in charge of the City sit back and do nothing.. I could see the port in siracha clearly from my window years ago, Now i can't.. Them Buses were not here 9 years ago and now they are blocking up the city and spewing crap out everywear.. All Downhill from here and will be the same as Bangkok in 2 years time..

16 hours ago, Huayrat said:

The Thousands of Half filled coaches everyday are now killing Pattaya and the Mayor and ppl in charge of the City sit back and do nothing.. I could see the port in siracha clearly from my window years ago, Now i can't.. Them Buses were not here 9 years ago and now they are blocking up the city and spewing crap out everywear.. All Downhill from here and will be the same as Bangkok in 2 years time..

Yes, I think you are right.

But, unfortunately this is going to be an issue that is out of our control. So, I guess people need to evaluate how much it negatively affects their lives/health and make some decisions.

It would take 100' s of millions of dollars and strict/enforced government regulation.

Some Band-Aids will probably be put on it but continually worsening air pollution here is just going be a fact of life.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, Huayrat said:

In Saigon, they have banned Large Tourist busses from City Center during the day and most of the night - hotels have to take their charges to the Bus area in Mini-vans............they were clogging up the roads so badly they had to do something.  I see the odd one with Korean or Chinese writing on it going to a Hotel and filling it with people............but not so much.   Bangkok, Pattaya could do the same easily.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, lopburi3 said:

Currently Chiang Mai is reading AQI 151, Bangkok 104, Beijing 175 and New Delhi 354

In my home country Norway it's 5 outside according to the AQI map , just to get you an idea of the difference between western Europe and SE Asia. They are lucky up there, with fresh clean air daily. 

The situation with traffic is now way beyond ridiculous! :shock1:

Pollution, both noise and fumes atrocious, traffic jams and accidents, again atrocious, standard of driving, there is none!

The "government" has a lot of options open to them to lessen the impact, hell they could even try enforcing the "law" though that would be too much to expect.

So what are they doing? as I see it the sum total of nothing, waiting for the weather to change? Yes - right - that's going to work!

In the meantime people are going to have health issues, they have no peace and quiet due to the allowable exhaust noise's & folks are dying on the roads daily. :sad:

You couldn't make it up! ????

29 minutes ago, balo said:

In my home country Norway it's 5 outside according to the AQI map , just to get you an idea of the difference between western Europe and SE Asia. They are lucky up there, with fresh clean air daily. 

But at -12C and only 5 million people suspect there is a reason some of us live here.  ???? 

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But at -12C

Actually not too bad on the south coast, similar to parts of Scotland. Around 3-5 degrees now. But with a chilly wind it's not a place I want to stay for a long time. 

57 minutes ago, balo said:

Actually not too bad on the south coast, similar to parts of Scotland. Around 3-5 degrees now. But with a chilly wind it's not a place I want to stay for a long time. 

I grew up in New Hampshire USA and no longer a fan of cold weather - so 3-5 does not sound like that much of an improvement.  Do regret never got into Norway - closest was Sweden across from Copenhagen one time when working in Frankfurt am Main.  

Air pollution is very thick and heavy today. Can't see the sun at times.

Ordered an AQI meter/monitor from china, but it hasn't arrived yet. Bought an air purifier for the condo. Hatari HT-AP12 from Homepro for 4,888 baht, with extra filter - it helps a lot!

The visibility out to sea shows how bad the air is. Not one island can be seen.

Nothing will be done - but on another news thread - in Bangkok they plan to fly 50 drones carrying 10 litres of water and spray water and molasses to reduce the particle count...............in the name of god give me strength...............

This is now on BCC World news - also 400 schools closed due to the level of pollution...

What a mess

On 1/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, Huayrat said:

I see many of the busses empty with engine running to keep them cool.

They gotta do what other cities in other countries are starting to do.  Start banning traffic.  It would not be too chaotic in Bkk because there are aircon alternatives like the skytrain and subway.  

Not sure what Pattaya can do.  If you banned all those big busses it would probably increase traffic in other ways.  More baht busses and taxis probably.  They should definitely ban big busses from going past central road.  They clog up that area between central and south pattaya road pretty badly at times.

Archived