The Hills Are Ablaze

just_Elaine

We were driving between Fang and Chiang Dao in the early evening yesterday and there were many, many fires. It was obviously intentional. For instance, on one of the hills at more of a distance, the fire was a big oval like someone poured gasoline and then lit a match. The whole area was smoky.

Does anyone know why these fires are lit?

Many spots where burning occurred was along the highway. Other areas were on very steep hills with large trees. Many of these areas did not look like places for crops.

I believe that the purpose is to clear off the flammable undergrowth and dried leaves early in the season, in a more or less controlled way, to prevent larger, uncontrolled fires later in the season, when things really dry out and heat up.

Many spots where burning occurred was along the highway. Other areas were on very steep hills with large trees. Many of these areas did not look like places for crops.

I believe that the purpose is to clear off the flammable undergrowth and dried leaves early in the season, in a more or less controlled way, to prevent larger, uncontrolled fires later in the season, when things really dry out and heat up.

I was wondering if it was a "fire prevention" technique. Thanks.

Well, I don't think they are that controlled. THe hills overlooking HTT are continually being fought by helicopters with buckets.

This was taken about 4 days ago by me.

Phil

PS - If someone could explain how on earth to embed youtube video on here, that would be great. Looked at Georges example, but I sure can't get it to work!

Edited by mallmagician

We were driving between Fang and Chiang Dao in the early evening yesterday and there were many, many fires. It was obviously intentional. For instance, on one of the hills at more of a distance, the fire was a big oval like someone poured gasoline and then lit a match. The whole area was smoky.

Does anyone know why these fires are lit?

It's the same as every year.Not unusal.

Edited by tux

Well, I don't think they are that controlled. THe hills overlooking HTT are continually being fought by helicopters with buckets.

This was taken about 4 days ago by me.

Phil

PS - If someone could explain how on earth to embed youtube video on here, that would be great. Looked at Georges example, but I sure can't get it to work!

Nice vid.

Elaine