Question re Switching from Retirement visa to ED Visa

So, right now I have a retirement visa.  It will expire Sep 2019.  I want to switch to an ED Visa when the present retirement visa expires.  Can somebody explain the logistics and timeline to do this?

Not that it is important but my reason for this is simply that I don't want to go through the hassle of the financial requirement (freezing US$25,000 in a Thai bank account for months) when I can simply pay 33000 baht for the visa.  This is for a legitimate visa offered through Hand to Hand Combat, and I wanted to take this course anyway.

An private agent told me that the ED visa can NOT be applied for while holding any visa other than a tourist visa and that the retirement visa needs to be cancelled at least 15 days before applying for the ED Visa.  Is this correct?

If so, how do I cancel it and what do I do as far as having a visa between the time it is cancelled and the time the ED Visa is granted?

I will probably have an agent (or the school) handle for me but I'd just like to know the facts since I'm suffering a language barrier with the agent and with the Imm office on this subject.

I dont have idea for switching visa, but if you planning to stay long in Thailand, better not to use ED visa, because AFAIK ED visa is only good for 2-3 years. Consider working permit if you willing to stay longer.. your agent should have this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I don't think you will be able to change the reason for your extension to one based upon attending school.

You will have to leave the country to apply for a non-ed visa.

Unless attending a formal school such a university immigration will not normally change a tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa (category ED).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think you will be able to change the reason for your extension to one based upon attending school.

You will have to leave the country to apply for a non-ed visa.

Unless attending a formal school such a university immigration will not normally change a tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa (category ED).

Thanks for reply.  This program (Hand to Hand Combat) is totally legitimate and recognized by Imm.  Literally hundreds of people go through their school for the purpose of getting an ED visa.  Assuming that is the case, are you saying there is still no way to switch visas and that a trip out of the Kingdom to apply from my home country would be required? 

What if I just left Thailand, went to Bali and came back in on a 30 day visa and then applied for the ED during those 30 days; would I have a problem doing this?  

23 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

Assuming that is the case, are you saying there is still no way to switch visas and that a trip out of the Kingdom to apply from my home country would be required? 

You do not have go your home country to get a non-ed visa. You can apply for it at a nearby embassy or consulate.

23 minutes ago, CangguSurfer said:

What if I just left Thailand, went to Bali and came back in on a 30 day visa and then applied for the ED during those 30 days; would I have a problem doing this? 

I don't think they will do a change to a non immigrant visa for that type of school.

• Thanks 1