Famous Thai kick boxer arrested for alleged fight fixing

snoop1130

Famous Thai kick boxer arrested for alleged fight fixing

By The Nation

e6cd59d7d1462934bdaf3d48495cb17b.jpeg

A muay thai boxer renowned for his fights at Bangkok’s Rajadamnern Stadium has been charged with alleged fixing of the outcome of a bout in December, when he was beaten on points by a little-known fighter.

Ekkarak Chumthong, 20, was charged Sunday when he turned himself in to Metropolitan Police Bureau officers following a complaint by the owner of his own camp, Sing Mawin in Songkhla.

Camp owner Thatchanon Kachasuwan filed a complaint with police alleging that Ekkarak, known as “Roi Choeng Sing Mawin”, had refused to fight to his full capability, causing him to lose the December 20 bout on points.

He claimed Ekkarak had refused to attack his opponent during the fourth and fifth rounds. 

He said he had studied footage of the fight on, from which it was clear that although he was more capable than his little-known opponent, he had stopped attacking him from the start of the fourth round.

Pol Colonel Thirachai Chamnarnthong, deputy investigative inspector of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said the boxer had been arrested under a court warrant on a match-fixing charge.

Ekkarak was allegedly paid Bt30,000 before the fight to try to lose it, and he was promised and given a similar amount after doing so, Thirachai said.

Police will later arrest a muay thai gambler who allegedly paid Ekkarak to lose the fight, he added. 

Thirachai withheld the suspect’s name prior to his arrest.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363076

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-28

13 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Ekkarak was allegedly paid Bt30,000 before the fight to try to lose it, and he was promised and given a similar amount after doing so, Thirachai said.

How much does "a well known fighter" get for winning a fight?

14 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Camp owner Thatchanon Kachasuwan filed a complaint with police alleging that Ekkarak, known as “Roi Choeng Sing Mawin”, had refused to fight to his full capability, causing him to lose the December 20 bout on points.

And is the camp owner [whatever that is] complaining because he didn't get his cut?

First off, how does a 20 year old become 'renowned fighter' ?  That kid isn't even fully developed yet. I'd guess a hamburger or two before the fight in question probably threw the young fella off his game. Happens all the time; I can remember a fighter saying 'no mass' 'no mass' because he hadn't digested his pre-fight steak fully. It happens to the greatest.

47 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

First off, how does a 20 year old become 'renowned fighter' ?  That kid isn't even fully developed yet. I'd guess a hamburger or two before the fight in question probably threw the young fella off his game. Happens all the time; I can remember a fighter saying 'no mass' 'no mass' because he hadn't digested his pre-fight steak fully. It happens to the greatest.

Yodseanklai Fairtex became Lumpinee champion at age 16, and was therefore quite "renowned" already by that age.

Age 16/17/18 happens more often to get those titles by the way. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 10:10 PM, IAMHERE said:

Ya know nothing about Muay Thai it seems Sherm.

They pick kids out of the rice paddies @ 7 years old and turn them into machines

and by 20 if they are still in the game and not fighting at some beer bar on walking street - well then....

I remember Tyson in Toyko against some joker Buster Douglas.  The word in Japan was to bet against Tyson.... and I had an extra 3 million baht and got 20:1 odds.

i see people crying over 10,000 baht and begging for 200 baht.  bet big, win big, enjoy.  lose, then work.  not difficult.  

On 1/29/2019 at 10:10 AM, IAMHERE said:

They start when they are about 8, so a 20-year old could have a few hundred bouts under his belt.

2 minutes ago, XenZen said:

I remember Tyson in Toyko against some joker Buster Douglas.  The word in Japan was to bet against Tyson.... and I had an extra 3 million baht and got 20:1 odds.

i see people crying over 10,000 baht and begging for 200 baht.  bet big, win big, enjoy.  lose, then work.  not difficult.  

I agree that fight was fixed.

Archived