20,000 baht cash per family - what is family?

I have an Indian friend who's coming to visit me with his brother and his brother's family (wife and teenage son).  Will Immigration consider them one family, and so only need to show 20,000 baht in cash? Or will it be one individual plus one family? How is family defined? They all have the same surname.

Thanks.

Edited by Oxx
Added details of family

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Or will it be one individual plus one family?

I would count on this.  Husband + Wife + Children = Family

Best to have 10K for your friend, and another 20K for his brother and brother's family.  

They might be ok with only 20K for all - maybe not even asked - but would be a shame to come all that way and get rejected on a technicality.

6 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Best to have 10K for your friend, and another 20K for his brother and brother's family.  

That is assuming they will be getting a 15 day visa on arrival.

If entering with tourist visas it will be 20k baht and 40k baht for the family.

• Like 1

I’ve never seen any definition, but I would imagine any combination of wife/mother husband/father or children would count as a family. I would doubt a brother would count.

Your friend and his family would need - between them - 40K if arriving with Tourist visas or 20K if getting a Visa On Arrival; and their brother 20K if arriving with Tourist visas or 10K if getting a Visa On Arrival.