Sound Equilizer.

chiangrai

I have windows 10 which came with Realtek Sound but  the grafic Equilizer isn't

there.

It's a common fault with windows 10.

i tried to fix it but couldn't soI added a sound equilizer.

I found a video on youtube that showed how to install Equilizer APO and PC-EQ.

That worked fine except one of the programs apears looking for a password every time i start up my laptop

I just restarted my laptop to see exactly what happens,

A window appears asking me if I want to allow PCEquilizer to make changes to my computer an if so to fill in the administrators password.

If I could get this to stop I would be happy,

Ive also found another program called DTS Sound but can't figure out if its to be used with an equalizer or instead of one.

Can anybody help me out,

I need to either stop the program from wanting a password on start up or replace the two equalizer programs with the DTS one.

This is from the PC Equalizer Sourceforge page https://sourceforge.net/p/pc-equalizer/tickets/2/.

"PC Equalizer Designed to run as administrator, it works as a text file modifier, this text file located in "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt" "the default path" which requires administrator permission to apply modifications. and here windows for security reasons will ask you that UAC pop-up window.

Workaround solution:
Simply you don't need to let PC Equalizer run everytime windows starts. you will not lose any changes you made on equalizer if pc-eq not running, just go to preferences page and uncheck the option says "Launch PC Equalizer on startup".

OR:
Bypass UAC pop-ups, but be careful!
there is no way to "tell" UAC which programs are OK to run without asking for permission, also UAC does not have an "Exception" list or "remember this answer". the only way to bypass UAC is by disabling UAC, but this is not recommended.
"

It is bad coding to put configuration stuff in C:\Program Files.... and if there is an option in PC Equalizer to place it somewhere else, it will solve your problem.

Personally, I have disabled UAC on all my Windows10 installs. It is the single most annoying feature of Windows....

Also, I just realized that your installation is on a laptop. Laptops don't seem to have a full featured Realtek Audio Manager. I checked both of my Lennovo ThinkPads, and it's just basic speaker configuration.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Far and away the best equaliser software for Windows that I have come across is this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/

It does come in two parts, both of which must be installed correctly, but it works very well.

It's using the same Equalizer APO as the PC Equalizer, just another GUI. You'll run into same problems with Windows UAC.

4 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

It's using the same Equalizer APO as the PC Equalizer, just another GUI. You'll run into same problems with Windows UAC.

No, I have no such problems at all. I've been using it for several weeks without the slightest problem of any type.

I just installed Equalizer APO and PC Equalizer on my ThinkPad, to try it out. Looks nice and full featured.

And you are in luck, "changrai". There is an easy way to bypass all this UAC nonsense.

First, delete both programs.

Then install Equalizer APO again, and when asked for "Destination Folder" change this to somewhere outside of C:\Program Files.... like for example C:\EqualizerAPO.

Then restart, and install PC Equalizer. That should cure all those UAC popups.

7 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

No, I have no such problems at all. I've been using it for several weeks without the slightest problem of any type.

As I said, I don't have UAC enabled so can't test either, but it might be another solution to install Peace GUI instead of PC Equalizer, both use Equalizer APO as the actual equalizer, and both have similar features.

Depends on how much experimentation "changrai" want's to do.

Just now, SpaceKadet said:

As I said, I don't have UAC enabled so can't test either, but it might be another solution to install Peace GUI instead of PC Equalizer, both use Equalizer APO as the actual equalizer, and both have similar features.

Depends on how much experimentation "changrai" want's to do.

I do have UAC enabled. I appreciate that Peace and PCEqualizer are two faces of the same thing, but Peace does seem to work very well for me. It is set to start with Windows and has never crashed or caused any other problems on my machine. It provides a lot of options, many of which I have not even looked at.

So possibly worth trying for the OP.

12 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I do have UAC enabled. I appreciate that Peace and PCEqualizer are two faces of the same thing, but Peace does seem to work very well for me. It is set to start with Windows and has never crashed or caused any other problems on my machine. It provides a lot of options, many of which I have not even looked at.

So possibly worth trying for the OP.

Yes, I would agree now. Just remove PC Equalizer and install Peace. Seems that Peace is installing in the APO directory so will have access to the APO config files, while PC Equalizer want to read the original APO while installed in another location.

Have tried 2 methods,neither worked.

1-ununstall pc equalizer and equilizer apo.

install apo to C/EquilizerAPO.

then install pc equalizer.

then pc equilizer comes up with a message that it can't find config file

method 2 install equalizer apo and then peace but all I get from peace is a grey window with settings on it.

so close but yet so far

2 hours ago, chiangrai said:

Have tried 2 methods,neither worked.

1-ununstall pc equalizer and equilizer apo.

install apo to C/EquilizerAPO.

then install pc equalizer.

then pc equilizer comes up with a message that it can't find config file

method 2 install equalizer apo and then peace but all I get from peace is a grey window with settings on it.

so close but yet so far

I hope you installed to C:\EquilizerAPO and NOT to C/EquilizerAPO. There is a big difference.

So like this then...

image.png.b685044cb4e618f38988f8b17ec9bf5e.png

This is the installation program for Peace, and as it would like to install into C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config, will trigger UAC. Just enter the Administrator password and click Install. It should not ask for Admin password again. The Admin password should be the same as for your user.

Yes SpaceKadet,that's the one,

and I've got it working,great.

I will now check if I have a problem  restart my computer.

So just to be clear in case I have to install again..I install Apo in C:\EquilizerAPO

and where do I install either pc or easy equalizer.

No,Peace is now asking for a password.

I also noticed that I left the : out of the address I installed APO in.

I will uninstall and reinstall every thing again.

Sorry about the fumbling.I'm nearly there.

just give me the 3 addresses again please.

apo.............

pc.............

peace...........

For Peace you can install EqualizerAPO in it's default location, C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO. Peace install program will find it and install itself. It will ask for Admin password during installation, but only then.

For the PC Equalizer, the best would be to install EqualizerAPO somewhere like C:\EqualizerAPO. Again, the PC Equalizer installer will find it and should access the config file without triggering UAC.

Actually, the way it all works is that the EqualizerAPO is the actual equalizer program, and the others are only graphic interfaces to it. I now have tried both interfaces, and must say I prefer PC Equalizer.

If you still have problems, let us know. Tomorrow, I can enable UAC on one of my ThinkPads and play with different setting. Don't worry, we will fix it for you.

Edited by SpaceKadet

6 hours ago, chiangrai said:

just give me the 3 addresses again please.

apo.............

pc.............

peace...........

You dont need all three, only two.

Uninstall all of those three, restart the PC, install APO in the default location, then install Peace again in the default location. Do not install PC Equaliser.

Follow the instructions in the link I gave.