Video: Bangkok student cheats death - comes off bike on bridge and plunges into the Chao Phraya

webfact

14 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I don't think that joint alone would have caused the accident.

I have ridden for years and I know if you don't spot these metal plates and the like in time, your back wheel slides and then grips again when it gets back on tarmac. There must have been other factors. I mentioned some in my earlier post such as speed or an oil spill or a low pressure back tyre.

I would like to add another one, not having a proper grip of the handlebars. That may explain why a momentary slide of the back wheel led to such a catastrophic loss of control.

MSX are cool to drive but they are nothing more than 2 wheeled coffins, especially on roads with lets say "imperfections".

I'm glad i get rid of it, my father, among all the crazy bikes he had in his life always told me the bike that scared the shit out of him the most was his old 70CC Honda dax, totally understood that 20 years later when i bought my MSX.

(and he drove hayabuza and all sort of crazy stuff starting from the 70s). The tiny wheels have decent grip ... until they ain't got any anymore.

Not saying the guy on the video wasn't going too fast, but it would probably not have happened with another 125CC bike.

And yah, it seems that he had a small combo there, metal plate + oil or water or whatever.

That's how he felt by the way :

10 minutes ago, Pepper9187 said:

MSX are cool to drive but they are nothing more than 2 wheeled coffins, especially on roads with lets say "imperfections".

I'm glad i get rid of it, my father, among all the crazy bikes he had in his life always told me the bike that scared the shit out of him the most was his old 70CC Honda dax, totally understood that 20 years later when i bought my MSX.

(and he drove hayabuza and all sort of crazy stuff starting from the 70s). The tiny wheels have decent grip ... until they ain't got any anymore.

Not saying the guy on the video wasn't going too fast, but it would probably not have happened with another 125CC bike.

And yah, it seems that he had a small combo there, metal plate + oil or water or whatever.

That's how he felt by the way :

Not an MSX...

2 minutes ago, lust said:

Not an MSX...

Ahaha what the f**** i only looked at the video at first and thought uh-oh that's a bloody MSX for sure, my bad. 

Damm you just killed me there, not cool ????

But my arguments for a combo metal plate + something else remains !

Looking very closely at the start of the video he seems to get into trouble just after crossing the "expansion" strip on the bridge?

All seems to be going well for him before that point, might have made him slip or even get a puncture?

But the fortunes were with him that time as the impact didn't kill him or the fall into the river or even from drowning... lucky lad indeed!

18 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I was searching for the English word...

Yes he must have hit these "jaws" in an unlucky angle.

Speeding, overtaking to the right lane, probably driving on a road/bridge where he is not allowed to? If he recovers fully he has learned a lesson.

The bike started to wobble immediately after going over the joint.

bridge.jpg

Live not from there and bikes are allowed to use it, it's a continuation of Sathorn road.

Slight back wheel wobble, shuts the throttle, weight transfer lifts weight off the rear, tank slapper and you're sliding down the road on your wee pink bum, or in this case flying off a bridge.

Good he survived.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Live not from there and bikes are allowed to use it, it's a continuation of Sathorn road.

Slight back wheel wobble, shuts the throttle, weight transfer lifts weight off the rear, tank slapper and you're sliding down the road on your wee pink bum, or in this case flying off a bridge.

Good he survived.

Should be live not far from there. ????????.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Looking very closely at the start of the video he seems to get into trouble just after crossing the "expansion" strip on the bridge?

All seems to be going well for him before that point, might have made him slip or even get a puncture?

But the fortunes were with him that time as the impact didn't kill him or the fall into the river or even from drowning... lucky lad indeed!

It's one of these few times where you can say that not wearing full leather protections + boots actually saved someone's life.

He would have drowned like a stone if so.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:33 PM, Briggsy said:

He was travelling at a fair clip, probably full throttle.

Other than the expansion joint, I would look at any kind of joint or groove in the line of travel (these are much more dangerous), anything like diesel on the road, his tyre pressure and his speed.

The way he completely lost the back wheel was very strange.

Maybe he drove over an oil slick. It should look weird the way that tire slid.  

• Like 1