Use of METV for stay 4 months

Dear members.

I have a question about the use of a Tourist METV issued in The Netherlands. I will stay about 3-4 months in Thailand starting in October. I avoid the O-visa because I do not like to stay in Bangkok. Also the O-A is not my choice because all documents I need are expensive. To get birth certificate, population register, non criminal record, medical certificate and so on. With the certification of Foreign affairs in the Netherlands will cost at least € 160. Together with the embassy fee of €150 and travel expenses it is too much money and trouble..

I choose a 60 day tourist visa with multiple entries, only €150.

With this METV I have to go once over the border to Vientiane before the first 60 days are used I understand. Is this wright?

I understand I have then 60 days again and can do this more within 6 months before this METV is finished/used?

Is this border run just go in and out Laos and can do it on one day? This would be the most convenient method for me, maybe not the smartest but OK.

I am scared I can not go back to Thailand if I do something wrong.

Please reply?  

11 hours ago, lkv said:

Yeah so i think you may consider getting an O-A next time, with all the additional costs involved, that will give you a permission of stay of 12 months each time and can be stretched for up to 2 years.

Currently, your 150 euro METV can be stretched for up to 9 months if timed in a certain way and will involve the following additional costs:

-each permission of stay of 60 days can be extended for a further 30 days at a cost of 1,900 baht.

-each time you enter Laos you will pay USD 30 visa on arrival (or 1,500 baht should you forget to bring USD).

-the cost of your multiple visa runs (transportation), and the time lost.

It will add up to more than what you would have spent for the O-A in additional notary fees.

But yes, you should not encounter issues at Nong Khai, it's a friendly border for you to do your in-outs.

Thanks, this will cover all my questions plus good advise

23 hours ago, Marius Brok said:

Is this border run just go in and out Laos and can do it on one day? This would be the most convenient method for me, maybe not the smartest but OK.

I am scared I can not go back to Thailand if I do something wrong.

The only problem getting back into Thailand would be if you have a longer-stay history and re-enter at a bad entry point.  The bad entry-points include both Bangkok airports, some other smaller airports, plus the Poipet/Aranyaprathet border crossing.

As said above, if doing your border-bounces at Nong Khai, there are no reports of problems for years.

Unless the Thai Embassy in the Netherlands requires an onward flight at the end of his first 60-day stay (Los Angeles consulate does, although they OK an onward ticket in 90 days with explanation of applying for 30-day extension), then you might be stuck using an airport rather than Nong Khai.