Need an electronics tinkerer ASAP

Vermillionline

Only one kind of mosquito racket sold in Bangkok works for me. I use it for killing midges not mosquitoes. But unfortunately it only works once, at the most twice. Then I've got a working but unusable racket. Here's what one youtube repair fellow says:

"First open the mosquito bat by using screwdriver, Inside bat we will find simple power electronic circuit, consisting of battery, Transistor, resistors, capacitors , diodes and small transformer.

The basic function of this circuit is to generate very high voltage across output and electric fence so mosquito will die immediately when it came in contact with fence.

We need a digital Multimeter to check the various electronic components."

I would like to hire a local tinkerer to restore maximum power to these rackets. Someone's grandfather, a young teenage boy, someone unemployed, someone who makes a living out of fixing broken things. I'll pay them for every racket fixed, plus pay for parts. 

This is a job that could go on forever and be a regular income. Once we figure out how to restore them, it should almost be an assembly line. I've got about 100+++ of these rackets and I'm reasonably certain they can be restored to action -- again and again.

Know anyone who fits the bill and would be interested? They have to be reliable. More than that I don't care --- whether about appearance, hygiene, location, age etc. 

Can you please ask your relatives if they can ask their friends to ask their relatives and so on until we find the magic tinkerer? I'll hire them to dismember a couple rackets to figure it out and money for parts and we can do a trial run together. 

Thank you!

• Haha 2

Maybe a stupid question,but this is TV, you do know

you can recharge the rackets ?, using it once or twice

then no good ?,that's not my experience with them,

seem to last 2-3 years, and you have 100 +++ !

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It's hard to explain. Of course the rackets can be recharged, but only to the baseline mosquito killing level. The midges/no-see-ums are a tiny fraction in size of mosquitoes. So the rackets have to be extra-responsive to kill the midges.

What happens is that I now know what racket style works. I go to the store and test the ones they have in stock. I don't buy any that aren't highly charged, trying to eliminate those with electrical shorts (unsuccessfully, lots of them after being charged at home). Then I charge them for some period of time, use them once or twice, or every so often more than twice, and that's it. They're still highly charged, they'll still take out mosquitoes, but they won't react to midges.

Trust me, I've tried every possible workaround to this I can think of, whether it's length of time recharging, lying fallow, etc., etc. But I've been doing this in four countries and this seems to be the only option. I'm just bottomlessly grateful if I find the one racket style that works. I've got a big pile of one-offs I've bought to test the style and never worked even once, though I'm sure they're great for mosquitoes. 

Part of the difficulty explaining this is that I've not met anyone in Asia besides myself who has a midge biting issue. I tend to think that everyone gets bitten but only I react with pain and burning. Careful perusing of posts here and on expat.com and through google I've found two fellows currently in Vietnam with this problem, and in past posts two in Bangkok and sixteen in Hong Kong. So it's really a rare thing. That's why it's hard to explain what works for a mosquito racket.

Can't someone please come up with a grandpa or teenage electrical tinkerer who wants a steady cash gig? I've probably got more thousands of rackets at this point. Even if the financial end weren't insane, i'm running out of storage space...