Spirulina?

manccm

Been reading about the increasing interest I , and awareness about spirulina and wondered if anyone had experience of culturing and subsequent marketing of this "superfood". A company called Energaia has established a pilot project on the roof of the Bangkok Novotel and is involved in further projects both  in  Thailand and further afield. It is suggested by its proponents that it is virtually idiot proof, hence my interest !

55 minutes ago, manccm said:

Thanks for your reply. It does indeed appear to reproduce and grow at a prodigious rate. Do you know what your acquaintance does it.?

Unfortunately, no. We tasted the leaves, very, very sweet. You'd need to find processors here to whom to sell to. Don't know but I think Google is your friend on this one. Good luck.

I live in Bangkok most of the week and I'm trying to arrange a visit to EnerGaia's site on the hotel to get an idea of what's involved. 

I have a few questions for them, but if you have any, I'm happy to ask them for you. Alternatively, you could send them your questions directly at 

https://energaia.com/contact/

I'm happy to post whatever they tell me here and eventually photos of their set up - if I'm allowed to visit and if I'm allowed to take photos that is. I read an article recently about this in a newspaper. They seem to be looking to expand and are looking for growers/suppliers. 

Forgot to mention that if I'm allowed to visit, I won't have time until mid next week at the earliest, so I'll have nothing to report back about unit next week at the earliest. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

@djayz .I for one would be very pleased to hear of your visit to Energaia.

Their promo videos show chocolate truffles as one end product although I'm sure that spirulina would be successful as a more basic foodstuff or supplement. It would be interesting to hear how much  they are able to pay and the quantities  presently sold.Alibaba has quite a few companies ( almost certainly middle men buying from the same farms) offering spirulina in a bewildering price spread .

My main concern at present is the cold weather we experience at night here in Chiangmai which may prove a serious stumbling block for spirulina. 

The large farm established in Phuket won't  of course have to consider this.

Good luck with your visit

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 7:02 PM, djayz said:

I live in Bangkok most of the week and I'm trying to arrange a visit to EnerGaia's site on the hotel to get an idea of what's involved. 

I have a few questions for them, but if you have any, I'm happy to ask them for you. Alternatively, you could send them your questions directly at 

https://energaia.com/contact/

I'm happy to post whatever they tell me here and eventually photos of their set up - if I'm allowed to visit and if I'm allowed to take photos that is. I read an article recently about this in a newspaper. They seem to be looking to expand and are looking for growers/suppliers. 

Forgot to mention that if I'm allowed to visit, I won't have time until mid next week at the earliest, so I'll have nothing to report back about unit next week at the earliest. 

Just a brief update; I won't be able to visit their site at the hotel before 18th Feb. I'll keep you posted. 

PS If you send them an email with any questions you might have, they'll respond with quite a detailed email.