why i became a vegetarian

yogavnture

42 minutes ago, Benroon said:

Not so - incisors/canines have evolved and even now could not handle raw meat thus proving we are not designed to eat meat.

Our stomachs are also too weak as in we don’t have the necessary acidic content to eat raw meat so by definition again we are not meat eaters by design. 

True carnivores eat it as it is. 

The earliest fossils of man show no meat eating teeth at all - all molars for grinding vegetables. (All true carnivores can only move their jaw up and down whereas we can move side to side)

There is no reason whatsoever for humans to eat meat apart from taste.

Indeed all cancer organisations will tell you to either cut back or cut it out - again it’s no more fit for humans than cigarettes. 

Doesnt stop a rack of ribs being a work of art though !!

Why take the piss? My acid  content  can  handle  anything !  Even Australian  beeeeeeeff! Just  wish  the  original cow was  allowed  to  eat   grass  occasionally.

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

"The earliest fossils of man show no meat eating teeth at all - all molars for grinding vegetables. (All true carnivores can only move their jaw up and down whereas we can move side to side)"

Humans  are  omnivores. Thus we  can  move  our cops  any direction.

Anthropological  discoveries do include sub species that were apparently  vegetarian. They   faded  out .

Rear  molars (wisdom teeth) in the predominant  version of modern  humans  are now a remnant of neanderthal origins because  we  no longer  need  to  crush  bones  like a pitbull. 

Interesting comment that sent me reading about Neanderthal. 

Plant food became more scarce in colder months, so meat was part of their diet.

How They Survived: 

Compared to early humans living in tropical Africa, with more abundant edible plant foods available year-round, the number of plant foods Neanderthals could eat would have dropped significantly during the winter of colder climates, forcing Neanderthals to exploit other food options like meat more heavily. There is evidence that Neanderthals were specialized seasonal hunters, eating animals were available at the time (i.e. reindeer in the winter and red deer in the summer). Scientists have clear evidence of Neanderthal hunting from uncovering sharp wooden spears and large numbers of big game animal remains were hunted and butchered by Neanderthals. There is also evidence from Gibraltar that when they lived in coastal areas, they exploited marine resources such as mollusks, seals, dolphins and fish. Isotopic chemical analyses of Neanderthal bones also tell scientists the average Neanderthal’s diet consisted of a lot of meat. Scientists have also found plaque on the remains of molar teeth containing starch grains—concrete evidence that Neanderthals ate plants.

Smithsonian/Neanderthal

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

The earliest fossils of man show no meat eating teeth at all - all molars for grinding vegetables. (All true carnivores can only move their jaw up and down whereas we can move side to side)

If you mean by "man", homo sapiens, then that's completely untrue. I didn't say that we are carnivores, we are omnivorous. We have evolved into being able to eat meat and vegetables. Early man was a hunter gatherer. His prime food was meat.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, yogavnture said:

i notice all the people that have just thrown in the towel.  the younger generation deserves better

have you taken a look at the "younger generation" lately ?    hell, if they all go into the water at the same time there will sure to be a sunami !  (no, sunami is not a type of sushi)

Edited by rumak

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

There is no reason whatsoever for humans to eat meat apart from taste.

Err what about vitamin B12 an essential nutrient that our body needs for producing all cells. Vitamin B12 is only found in animal meat and fish, so vegetarians and vegans need fortified foods such as cereals in order to get their B12 intake. if it wasn't for these fortified foods then vegetarians and vegans would not survive.   

1 minute ago, Elad said:

Err what about vitamin B12 an essential nutrient that our body needs for producing all cells. Vitamin B12 is only found in animal meat and fish, so vegetarians and vegans need fortified foods such as cereals in order to get their B12 intake. if it wasn't for these fortified foods then vegetarians and vegans would not survive.   

Utter uneducated rubbish...

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, yogavnture said:

makes a person wonder why they even post any threads on this site anymore. look at all the negativity and off subject comments above.   no question In my mind that the oil coming on shore and the mass of garbage in the sea is from fishing boats heaving stuff overboard . because of no oversight from govt.

I admire your commitment and know that to survive on this planet we all have to become vegetarians. However, the pollution at sea has little to do with fish boats heaving their trash overboard.

i would guess that the bulk of it comes from the rivers.

And certainly, worldwide shipping pollutes more than fish boats.

And the cattle industry contributes more to greenhouse gas than all transportation combined.

Been a vegan for 30 years. Never ate any sea life...ever. Even before my diet style change...couldn't get past the stench. As a child, would run far away from anyone cooking fish, shrimp, etc. Still cannot handle it. Love the sea, but dead sea animals STINK...even in the finest of restaurants, cruise ships and 1st Class airlines.  

Needless to say, cooked animal flesh and intestine aromas are not to my liking either...but they don't put me off like cooked sea life. 

As for personal health and a healthier planet, including the oceans and rivers, it's well settled that the more fruits, veggies and grains...the better. And less animal products/proteins...the better. 

Sure glad that beer, wine and spirits come from non-animal sources! :coffee1: (coffee too!)

PS...YES, am aware that some beer and other spirits may not be vegan, due to myriad reasons...even down to animal fats used in lubrication during the brewing or distillation processes. But HEY...nobody's perfect! ????

• Like 2

FYI...some diffs 'tween carnivores and herbivores...and humans.

The hippopotamus is strictly an herbivore and has the largest canines of all. Camels have large canines too, as do other herbivores)

1. Carnivores have sharp molars/humans and herbivores are flat
2. Carnivores have claws and paws/humans and herbivores hands or hooves
3. Carnivores have large oral cavities/humans small
4. Carnivores have short digestive tracts/humans and herbivores long
5. Carnivores pant to cool the body/humans and herbivores sweat
6. Carnivores lap liquids/humans and herbivores sip
7. Carnivores produce their own vitamin C/humans and herbivores get it from their diet
8. Carnivores don't chew much and saliva doesn't have digestive enzymes/humans and herbivores chew and saliva does have digestive enzymes
9. Carnivores are quick and cunning and kill with claws and teeth/humans are not and don't
10. Carnivores kill then eat raw meat/most humans buy pretty packages of pre-killed meat and usually cook it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elad said:

I know many vegans, they usually inject B12.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe you don't know them all that well.

I'll give you that.. Personally, being a vegetarian since 40 years, i never ever contemplated to inject anything.

It's not that easy to follow a proper diet, especially when travelling, but not impossible.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Maybe you don't know them all that well.

I do...am one for 30 years. Brother and mother too...and we know many others. Not one injects B12 and not one has ever even discussed such, nor needed such. Oral supplements and fortified foods/bevs is all one normally needs...UNLESS one is clinically diagnosed with B12 deficiency. To get B12 shots (in the USA), it is by doctors prescription only. Injections are not common for a healthy, knowledgeable vegan. The vast majority get B12 from fortified foods and oral supplements. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

I do...am one for 30 years. Brother and mother too...and we know many others. Not one injects B12 and not one has ever even discussed such, nor needed such. Oral supplements and fortified foods/bevs is all one normally needs...UNLESS one is clinically diagnosed with B12 deficiency. To get B12 shots (in the USA), it is by doctors prescription only. Injections are not common for a healthy, knowledgeable vegan. The vast majority get B12 from fortified foods and oral supplements. :thumbsup:

Oh, only oral supplements and fortified foods & beverages.

Too funny

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Oh, only oral supplements and fortified foods & beverages.

Too funny

Nothing funny about it. Facts remain facts, regardless of your ignorant opinion of them. :coffee1:

If you are open to actual, factual info:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320524.php

Edited by Skeptic7

33 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, nothing like living the natural healthy life!

Terrible deflection, really Britman...even for you. Straw Man much??? :vampire: (joking, mostly)

Anyway, back to facts. It's well established fact that a smart, responsible vegan diet is at very least as healthy as a non-vegan diet...and much more healthy than many other diet styles, including many/most animal protein based diets. 

Also...amount of B12 needed on an average daily basis is minuscule. Only 10 mcg (micrograms). A microgram is the equivalent of 1 millionth of a gram. 10 mcg = .01 milligram. TINY amount is putting it lightly. The human body also stores B12 more than any other vitamin, so doesn't need it every day. A bowl of some fortified cereals with fortified soy, rice, almond, coconut, etc "milk" can provide for up to a few days worth. A daily multiple vitamin provides more than enough for vegans...and others (non-vegans) without any health issues. 

14 hours ago, yogavnture said:

i will try to do my part. if every one did just one tiny thing.  lets say not use plastic bags or straws so much. we could at least do a dent and the spirit gods will smile upon us at our death

Why do a tiny thing when you could do a big thing?