Vehicle testing for reg renewal

Kenny202

Went to MOT today to renew my yearly tax / registration and they told my wife we need to have the vehicle inspected first. Later I thought...hang on, vehicle only 3yo? I thought you only had to have vehicles over 5yo inspected?

I had transferred the bike to my name and had it inspected when I bought it a year ago.

I asked a Thai friend and she said its because I bought the bike 2nd hand.

Need to inspect every year. If I was the original owner from new 5 year rule applies.

Is that correct?

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

32 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

no seriously I have a Honda Click that is five years old this year. Is it a smog test? 

They stick a pipe up your exhaust...........and measure. But you never actually get to see the readings or know what they are supposed to be.

They also check lights and horn from memory.

Seems to be a box ticking exercise for which you pay the princely sum of 60baht.......

9 hours ago, topt said:

They also check lights and horn from memory.

And they even measure the noise of the exhaust. I wonder how these noisemakers pass the test, unless they change the exhaust to the original one for the check. On the other hand, probably some kanom may help...

last month I went to test my bike for tax,  the guy pushed the bike to the position,  but did not put anything in the exhaust and did not check anything or even didn't start the bike....!  So much for 60 baht, but I guess he saw the bike in such a good condition and a caring farang owner ????,  he trusted me and my bike... ???? 

The test are a joke,  so many noisy and smokey bikes and cars on the road... 

But a few days ago on my road trip in Bangkok I saw the cops had instrument up the exhaust of this van by the road side and reving it heavily,  with so much smoke coming out not sure why they bothered,  should have just fined his ass and/or take the van... 

Archived