Luk Krungs

buriramboy

Well said tytus.

So these farangs want to live here with all the rights and priviledges of Thai society but think they are above serving their country like any other Thai national is required to do?

Whenever i hear that "serving the country" BS my bile starts rising. :o

I bet it does Col...I bet it does.

Living on your god given priviledges right now Col?

Owe nobody nothing Col?

Do you have family or friends that have given their lives so AH's like you can live in "the manner to which you are accustomed"?

What colour is your bile Col? Green like your little face? yellow maybe?

Now go back to your nice safe little bed and sleep well AH. See you bright and early for a nice safe new day.

Goodnight.

Well said tytus.

So these farangs want to live here with all the rights and priviledges of Thai society but think they are above serving their country like any other Thai national is required to do?

Whenever i hear that "serving the country" BS my bile starts rising. :o

I bet it does Col...I bet it does.

Living on your god given priviledges right now Col?

Owe nobody nothing Col?

Do you have family or friends that have given their lives so AH's like you can live in "the manner to which you are accustomed"?

What colour is your bile Col? Green like your little face? yellow maybe?

Now go back to your nice safe little bed and sleep well AH. See you bright and early for a nice safe new day.

Goodnight.

Is that a quote from "a few good men", or what?

pointless...

Why??

:o

How can one argue the finer points of the futility of "national service" with people who make statements out of a bad John Wayne movie?

Well, lucky your son is in the Airforce, little chance that he is getting killed or maimed, unlike the poor b_astards who have to fight in the southern provinces.

How would you feel if your son would be sent back to you in pieces? That's the other side of heroism.

Here's a nice little link about what can happen...

http://www.thememoryhole.org/war/wounded/gallery.htm

great,

I spend 40 mins digging out old files to attach to this discussion and you (it rhymes with 'hunts') go and turn this into a fugging discusion about the pro's and con's of conscription.

take it elsewhere people.

Quite!

Of course most people cannot/don't want to read what you dug out!

As I understand it the position is quite clear

All males holding Thai nationality with ID card/Passport/Tabian Baan are eligible for National Service. being a Luk Khreung has nothing to do with it-unless they have declined Thai nationality-in w=hich case they will be subject to normal procedres re aliens in Thailand.

It differs from Jangwat to Jangwat-but basically you have to present yourself. Yes there are lotteries. Yes tea money can secure exemption and yes there are other grounds for deferment.

And yes, many employers require papers confirming service or exemption.

Whether r not you agree/disagree with conscription is of course another matter. I agree i would not want my children sent to the South-but that is because of the incompetence with which the issue has been dealt. Do you remember The Somme?

There is an interesting Asioa times article on how China is dealing with Islam in Xinjiang:

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/IB27Ad01.html

Actually as buriramboy said it was never a serious issue!!

But luk khreungs are, I think, a serious issue. It is said that once to be a european luk khrung was a great asset in LOS; now you need to be Chinese luk Khreung. Is this true? Will it change?

ok gals/guys thanks for all your replies, its pretty much as i thought it was then, the reason i started this topic was that i was having an off topic discussion about it in another thread, and this guy was saying his thai in-laws are in the military and that if a luk krueng had a farang father then they were not eligable for the military/police and i didn't think this was correct, hence the thread. Thank you all again.

BB

Was the other guy in the discussion possibly referring to entrance to the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School which leads to a career as a military officer or (senior) police officer? Without connections, this could be difficult for a look khreung to get into.

the other poster was Gummy, but strangely he hasn't posted here.