Samui Infrastructure

There is an interesting article in Samui Community regarding this. It is two years old but, since nothing has changed, obviously quite relevant:

Samui community article

But here are the relevant features for SamuiJens to understand where his tax money is going :

with an official registered population of 40 000 remains a relatively small district. Yet a public budget based on these figures fails to take into account the million plus tourists a year that visit the island, which also generate around 1000 million baht per year for Thailand. In reality, however, Thailand remains a very centralized system, and limited budget provision means that many of the above functions remain the responsibility of either the province, or specific government departments based in Bangkok. This includes the department of public works, the country and town-planning department, the department of public health and the revenue department, and such centralization not only leads to confusion, but also impedes the development and growth of local government as a whole.
The establishment ‘Samui City’, based on similar precepts to the one that already exists in Pattaya. This would mean introducing a completely different electoral process on the island, and more importantly, would change the way budgets are allocated to cope with demands. ”In the city system, the Chief of the Municipality has absolute power to allocate budgets where he or she feels they are most needed. They do not have to apply for funds through the province, or even ask permission from Bangkok. The local authority in this way becomes a kind of ‘one stop service’, and is able to react quickly and efficiently to local demands. At the moment it seems the central government is mainly concerned with maintaining Samui’s popularity as a tourist destination, so budget allocations tend to focus on new services for tourists or marketing and promotional campaigns abroad.
The biggest cash generating taxes on Samui are income taxes, as well as taxes on alcohol and cigarettes, yet these are all collected by the central government. Taxes collected by local governments include housing tax, land tax, signboard tax and slaughtering tax. By legislation they are also entitled to collect an additional percentage on top of other tax categories normally collected by the central government such as ‘Value Added Tax’ on goods and services. Currently the VAT rate is 7 per cent, but the local government’s share is just 1 per cent. Another category is specific business tax, which is levied on certain types of business. Rates are determined by the central government and include 3 per cent of revenues on banking and financial business, 2.5 per cent on life insurance, 3 per cent on general insurance business and 2.5 per cent on pawning. Local governments may collect an additional percentage of not more than 10 per cent of these rates, i.e. 0.3 per cent of bank taxes. In practice, central government departments take a further five per cent of local government's share as a service charge. Road and vehicle taxes are collected by the Department of Transport, a central government department, but in this case the amount of tax collected, minus another five per cent service charge, is fully allocated to local government.

But, after reading that article, it sounds like, at least in 2005, they were planning on leaving Phangan and Tao out in the cold :o

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it only talks about SAMUI . Maybe you'll have to get everyone at the next FMP to register so you can have some of the benefits as well. Sorry !

Well, since Koh Phangan already has over 7000 registered inhabitants, and Tao is included in that, wouldn't that be plenty to push them over the top?

And FMP goers certainly don't count as inhabitants :o

Ok, of course they don't, but for those Thais that spend 2/3 days there ,(every month or 2 ) or just for a one off visit ,maybe you could have a campaign to try to encourage them to register while they're there.Thai style, a little reward as such, maybe a little help.

Just a thought ?

Glad to see this thread has finally gotten a "serious" debate on the best for the Islands future. And thanx, SBK for your views and input here.

A positive debate is positive and a good start....but what is the farang community going to do about it..? :D

My view (I know...I know...it's easy talking at a distance):

1. Unite and have a combined Thai/Farang delegation talk to the Mayors' office about the 'Keep Samui clean' action

2. At the same maybe discuss the possibility of how to register the many thousands of non-registered Thai people on Samui/Phangan/Tao.

That could result in a seperate Municipality (seperated from the mainlands' Surat Thani government where all the taxes are going).

I'm sure the Mayor would be VERY HAPPY to hear about such an action! :o

LaoPo

Glad to see this thread has finally gotten a "serious" debate on the best for the Islands future. And thanx, SBK for your views and input here.

A positive debate is positive and a good start....but what is the farang community going to do about it..? :D

1. Unite and have a combined Thai/Farang delegation talk to the Mayors' office about the 'Keep Samui clean' action

2. At the same maybe discuss the possibility of how to register the many thousands of non-registered Thai people on Samui/Phangan/Tao.

That could result in a seperate Municipality (seperated from the mainlands' Surat Thani government where all the taxes are going).

LaoPo

if all the bars and restaurants estate agents etc got all thier staff not registred in samui which would be almost all staff as not many westerners like to employ samuians (you find it very hard to sack them brothers uncles cousins etc) that would get the required numbers needed to get province status and then maybe the infrastruture could be brought maybe not the 21st century europe but a lot futher along than we are now .. i employ around 40 thais and will start today asking all of them to register (small bonus maybe needed) but in the long run it will send more tourist home with happier stories of our island and more might even come to spend there hard earned money because believe it or not thats what many of us who work want....... :D

LaoPo

if all the bars and restaurants estate agents etc got all thier staff not registred in samui which would be almost all staff as not many westerners like to employ samuians (you find it very hard to sack them brothers uncles cousins etc) that would get the required numbers needed to get province status and then maybe the infrastruture could be brought maybe not the 21st century europe but a lot futher along than we are now .. i employ around 40 thais and will start today asking all of them to register (small bonus maybe needed) but in the long run it will send more tourist home with happier stories of our island and more might even come to spend there hard earned money because believe it or not thats what many of us who work want....... :D

WOW.....that's very positive news!

I fully agree with your idea; if all the other Farang-employers would do the same, the number of needed registered Thai on Samui will soon reach the point where Samui could be 'independent' from the mainland.

TOP!

LaoPo

LaoPo

I could not agree more lazeeboy.

Tell them it is possible to register a "tambien amphur" which registers them as residents of the island but does not require them to register with a particular house. That way, they can't give you the excuse of not having a house number etc etc.

Tell them it is possible to register a "tambien amphur" which registers them as residents of the island but does not require them to register with a particular house. That way, they can't give you the excuse of not having a house number etc etc.

That's a very good idea, sbk, since a lot of construction-workers live in a kind of camps with huts, tents and shacks on or near building sites.

But there are also numerous people working in the tourist catering business living in small....hmmm..what to call it?

LaoPo

sheds? :o

Regardless, alot of people rent and don't want to go on the tabien bahn of their landlord. Tabien amphur would fit the bill of most people.

Do you know where I can get the form or some more information in Thai ... so I can also give it to my staff.

I employ quite a few thais in my various businesses plus I have a restaurant where they come to eat plus I have an ATM where they are all queueing at this very time to get their salaries ... I agree, we should try to encourage it as much as possible but also we need to be fully aware that there are a number of influential people who are just as happy with it the way it is ... but I am very keen to see how I can help ...

By the way, can I register my 50% thai Children (ages 3 - 14 ) who are currently on their mothers house book in isan? .. if so, then there is 3 more on the way to being registered...

I employ 15, I might just give them a little bonus if they go and register.........

There is less than a thousand left to go, I think we could easily get that done if we talk to all of our friends who own business. Just bewteen a few of us on here we have nearly 100, thats 1/10 of the way there already.

I thought before you needed a Tabien Bahn, that is the excuse I have heard from Thai's for not registering.

If it is as SBK says it shouldn't be too difficult to get them to register.

The previous posts are very positive !

Idea:

Is it possible for one of you (maybe with assistance of sbk's husband.... :o) to make:

1. A letter in A4 in English/Thai to explain the situation to all Farang (and Thai) employers to encourage their workers to register at the 'Tambien Amphur', as sbk explained ?

2. A letter in Thai explaining the situation to the Thai workers/staff employees ?

Surely their are also some larger companies (with Farang) who are employing a lot (maybe thousands) of construction workers.

If someone could 'create' these letters in 'Microsoft Word', those letters could be sent to one another by email, print them and handed out to the staff/employees.

In this way the real population of Samui/Phangan/Tao could grow fast beyond the 50.000 and even much more.

But, I still think some of you must know some influential Thai on the islands (accountants/lawyers/doctors etc.); ask them to join and pay a visit to the Mayor/Nathon.....

What do you think?

LaoPo

The previous posts are very positive !

Idea:

Is it possible for one of you (maybe with assistance of sbk's husband.... :o) to make:

1. A letter in A4 in English/Thai to explain the situation to all Farang (and Thai) employers to encourage their workers to register at the 'Tambien Amphur', as sbk explained ?

2. A letter in Thai explaining the situation to the Thai workers/staff employees ?

Surely their are also some larger companies (with Farang) who are employing a lot (maybe thousands) of construction workers.

If someone could 'create' these letters in 'Microsoft Word', those letters could be sent to one another by email, print them and handed out to the staff/employees.

In this way the real population of Samui/Phangan/Tao could grow fast beyond the 50.000 and even much more.

But, I still think some of you must know some influential Thai on the islands (accountants/lawyers/doctors etc.); ask them to join and pay a visit to the Mayor/Nathon.....

What do you think?

LaoPo

And then we should get the letter printed in Community , samui express and other local media,where it can be cut out of and photo copied, and also have links to a sticky on this site or anywhere else where the letter can be downloaded. It is in everyones interest who lives in Samui to do this. We actually have a great chance here to hugely benefit our own lives and all those who live on Samui, KPG, Tao if we make city status.

For once, us as farang may just be able to change something that hasn't needed doing for years.

Farang employ a lot of people on these Islands. And I can't see the locals making much effort. You would have thought those in high up places on Samui would be making a big drive to get people signed up, so far i've only seen a few articles in Community adn now the countdown of how many left to go in the express.

It is called a tabien Khlang. Thai sp unknown.

We are very busy right now so it will have to wait for another week or so.

Another alternative would be to post in the Thai Language forum and ask some of the Thai writing geniuses over there for help :o

Another alternative would be to post in the Thai Language forum and ask some of the Thai writing geniuses over there for help :o

Perhaps it would be wiser to get a native writer to do it, I cringe usually when I read important documents written by Thais in English, it's extremely rare that they can write them as well as native English. I presume the same goes Viser Verser.

Edited by womble

Perhaps it would be wiser to get a native writer to do it, I cringe usually when I read important documents written by Thais in English, it's extremely rare that they can write them as well as native English. I presume the same goes Viser Verser.

Wow, it seems we're getting somewhere and very good ideas !

Womble, could you perhaps draft a kind of first letter in English? Maybe exchange it by PM with sbk (or somebody else) in order to have it translated. Sbk is quite busy but I suppose we could wait for a week or so?

I am very willing to assist but have to tell you that I'm not native English speaking/writing...

LaoPo

This with the 1000+ missing registrated Poeple is absolutely right. The fact that Surat is still the Municipality is also right, so Samui, Phan Gahn and Ko Tao get only a Fraction of the taxes being accumulated here, this is the other Problem.

But still many People are aware of the Infrasturcture and Garbage Disposal problem. It gives many Poeple a Headache.

The next Fact is that there have been Initiatives like "keep Samui Clean" with T-Shirts, Volunteers, name it, but it has been forgotten, Heaven knows.

Next is that there are in fact Poeple cleaning Garbage off the Roads, Side Roads as well, see them in their Strawhats and Balaclavas many times, picking up Plasticbags, Bottles....sweeping the Road.

The other day when I drove along the "LakeSideRoad" Chaweng, I wondered that it was "unusual" clean.

There is a Garbage Incinerator, but many Pople still drop their Garbage somewhere into the Bushes....cheap, quick and easy - as long as there aren't any heavy fines.....see the garbage Dump behind the Airport?

One day I made some Pic's and the Guy driving the Frontloader came up really angry and yelled "no, Photos, no Photos!" so I cleared the Scene quickly. Maybe it's a private Dumpand the Guy gets"paid" for....

TiT - This is Thailand

But I am positive people working on it and one day.... the ever increasing numbers of high Quality Resorts up to 6 ****** will put pressure on the People in responsable Places.

yeah, agreed, has all been said again and again... it will happen, slow but sure.

have a Nice Day! :o

Edited by Samuian

Koh Samui's registered population, as of April 2002, was 40,000. With well over 100,000 people estimated to be living on the island .... and rising.

The problem with this is many people will only register in the town where they have a relative standing in the local government so as to boost the figures during election time, many Samui Thais are only there to work and make money for there real homes elsewhere.

Something of a chicken and egg situation I fear.

Lets not be Knights in White Satin..........never reaching the end.

:o:D:D:D:D:bah::bah::o;):D

Jens - i respect you for your passion with this issue. Seriously, fair play mate. That aside, this has to be he funniest thing I have ever read on TV.

Dont get touchy....! Just found that extremely funny. Nothing to do with the thread..... just found that very, very, very funny

Cheers, Stick.

Samui has a "State of the Art" garbage incinerator built by the Japanese about 10-15 years ago. I visited the facility 5 years ago to assess a smell problem for the T.B. at the plant. it is truly state of the art well trained staff. The biggest problem was and evidently still is "Lack of Garbage" Hopefully this plant is still working and being used. Getting the garbage to the plant is and always was a problem, the type of vehicles and containers to fit the dump doors, along with many other (easly solved) problems.

No one likes garbage, this plane costs $3 million a year to operate, used or not.

If the fees were charged by type of collection point, residence, store, restaurant, resort, hotel, ------and so on the Sanitation people would know what type of garbage truck to use. Residents and hotels ect. need to purchase or lease proper containers (with lids) from the "Sanitation Department" that are compatible with

the type of pick up vehicle.

My observations of the present garbage pick up operation is very bad, the Sanitation Crew pick and sorts through the Garbage on the side of the road as the truck drips foul water behind it. The picking and cleaning is good for the Sanitation workers and good for the incenerator plant. "Green Peace would be proud".

The sorting could be done at or near the plant, as there is plenty of room there.

Years ago complaints came from near by residents that on foggy days a smell came from the plant, this occurred when the dump pit chamber doors were opened, the pressure difference let the smell waft out, the chamber doors are designed to have the truck tilt and seal against the door before it is opened, but I digress.

The point is we have a "State of the Art" non polluting, fantastic resource here on Samui, we need to use it.

We also need to Charge for Garbage Pick-up and enforce it, if they don't pay a fine needs to be assessed against the OCCUPANT of the property.

Littering also needs to be enforced, lets put those Cops who set up road blocks for NO Helmats and put them on the street on their motor bikes and ticket the litter bugs.

LETS Keep SAMUI CLEAN, for all of our sakes, and impress our visitors the right way.

Just look at the roads to and from the Airport, the "First Impression a Visitor gets of Samui" If it weren't for the charm of the airport (minus the touts) we would really leave a worse impression. The New Terminals will really impress the visitors, Ambiance and Charm.

Weather we know it or not Bangkok Airways is the best thing that happened to Samui, with out Bangkok Airways there would be no Samui as we know it.

Just ask a tourist, it is not expensive. If you live here or have a company here and qualify get a "Samui Residents Card" you get 20% discount on flights as well as 100 baht off the airport fee.

I did check a return flight from Surat Thani to Bangkok and the total price was Baht 7,390. An equivalent fare with Bangkok Airways was Baht 8,030 so the additional Baht 640 saves a bus, ferry and bus trip to Surat. The Bangkok Airways promotional fare is only Baht 5,265. A flight from Bangkok to Phuket return was Baht 8,160 and to Krabi was Baht 7,830 so it seems that Bangkok Airways are once again being made the whipping boy for Koh Samui’s problems in not attracting tourists over the recent high season when the bad publicity last year and hotel prices probably had as much to do with that as did the much cheaper general packages to the Andaman Resort areas working hard to regain custom after the tsunami. So once again we are seeing calls for a second airport but there seems to be no evidence that this would produce cheaper fares and unless the hotels are prepared to compete on price with the Andaman

Just some food for thought

Have a great weekend

:o

Samui has a "State of the Art" garbage incinerator built by the Japanese about 10-15 years ago. I visited the facility 5 years ago to assess a smell problem for the T.B. at the plant. it is truly state of the art well trained staff. The biggest problem was and evidently still is "Lack of Garbage" Hopefully this plant is still working and being used. Getting the garbage to the plant is and always was a problem, the type of vehicles and containers to fit the dump doors, along with many other (easly solved) problems.

No one likes garbage, this plane costs $3 million a year to operate, used or not.

If the fees were charged by type of collection point, residence, store, restaurant, resort, hotel, ------and so on the Sanitation people would know what type of garbage truck to use. Residents and hotels ect. need to purchase or lease proper containers (with lids) from the "Sanitation Department" that are compatible with

My observations of the present garbage pick up operation is very bad, the Sanitation Crew pick and sorts through the Garbage on the side of the road as the truck drips foul water behind it. The picking and cleaning is good for the Sanitation workers and good for the incenerator plant. "Green Peace would be proud".

The sorting could be done at or near the plant, as there is plenty of room there.

Years ago complaints came from near by residents that on foggy days a smell came from the plant, this occurred when the dump pit chamber doors were opened, the pressure difference let the smell waft out, the chamber doors are designed to have the truck tilt and seal against the door before it is opened, but I digress.

The point is we have a "State of the Art" non polluting, fantastic resource here on Samui, we need to use it.

We also need to Charge for Garbage Pick-up and enforce it, if they don't pay a fine needs to be assessed against the OCCUPANT of the property.

Littering also needs to be enforced, lets put those Cops who set up road blocks for NO Helmats and put them on the street on their motor bikes and ticket the litter bugs.

LETS Keep SAMUI CLEAN, for all of our sakes, and impress our visitors the right way.

Just look at the roads to and from the Airport, the "First Impression a Visitor gets of Samui" If it weren't for the charm of the airport (minus the touts) we would really leave a worse impression. The New Terminals will really impress the visitors, Ambiance and Charm.

Weather we know it or not Bangkok Airways is the best thing that happened to Samui, with out Bangkok Airways there would be no Samui as we know it.

Just ask a tourist, it is not expensive. If you live here or have a company here and qualify get a "Samui Residents Card" you get 20% discount on flights as well as 100 baht off the airport fee.

I did check a return flight from Surat Thani to Bangkok and the total price was Baht 7,390. An equivalent fare with Bangkok Airways was Baht 8,030 so the additional Baht 640 saves a bus, ferry and bus trip to Surat. The Bangkok Airways promotional fare is only Baht 5,265. A flight from Bangkok to Phuket return was Baht 8,160 and to Krabi was Baht 7,830 so it seems that Bangkok Airways are once again being made the whipping boy for Koh Samui's problems in not attracting tourists over the recent high season when the bad publicity last year and hotel prices probably had as much to do with that as did the much cheaper general packages to the Andaman Resort areas working hard to regain custom after the tsunami. So once again we are seeing calls for a second airport but there seems to be no evidence that this would produce cheaper fares and unless the hotels are prepared to compete on price with the Andaman

Have a great weekend

totally agree with you onbangkok airways you can also join there frequant flyer bonus scheme i did 2 more return flights to bkk and i get 1 return flight to bkk for free i know nothing to do with garbage but people should know bangkok air are one of the reasons we have tourist here they invested huge amounts here took a chance and made it ............... :D

I did check a return flight from Surat Thani to Bangkok and the total price was Baht 7,390. An equivalent fare with Bangkok Airways was Baht 8,030 so the additional Baht 640 saves a bus, ferry and bus trip to Surat. The Bangkok Airways promotional fare is only Baht 5,265. A flight from Bangkok to Phuket return was Baht 8,160 and to Krabi was Baht 7,830 so it seems that Bangkok Airways are once again being made the whipping boy for Koh Samui's problems in not attracting tourists over the recent high season when the bad publicity last year and hotel prices probably had as much to do with that as did the much cheaper general packages to the Andaman Resort areas working hard to regain custom after the tsunami. So once again we are seeing calls for a second airport but there seems to be no evidence that this would produce cheaper fares and unless the hotels are prepared to compete on price with the Andaman

Have a great weekend

Agree with you regarding the garbage but not too sure where you did your research on air ticket prices.

I have just gone onto Bangkok airways website and selected a flight to BK from Samui on the 12th March returning on the 14th March mid morning. A class Y ticket is 8223 THB including taxes fuel surcharges etc.

I repeated the same exercise Surat Thani - BK return the fare was 2940 THB including taxes surcharges etc. I also did the same for Phuket and the fare was 3207 THB return inclusive.

www.airasia.com if anyone wishes to check.

The reason Bangkok Airways became the 'whipping boys' was for their proposed fare hike which would have resulted in a class Y BK return being over 10,000 THB.

Have a great weekend

Agree with you regarding the garbage but not too sure where you did your research on air ticket prices.

I have just gone onto Bangkok airways website and selected a flight to BK from Samui on the 12th March returning on the 14th March mid morning. A class Y ticket is 8223 THB including taxes fuel surcharges etc.

I repeated the same exercise Surat Thani - BK return the fare was 2940 THB including taxes surcharges etc. I also did the same for Phuket and the fare was 3207 THB return inclusive.

The reason Bangkok Airways became the 'whipping boys' was for their proposed fare hike which would have resulted in a class Y BK return being over 10,000 THB.

You are of course correct about the reasonably priced options to Bangkok Air`s prices.

Try the overnight sleeper train. 1,000 Baht one way including ferry and bus to the station.

Have a great weekend

I think the fare of Baht 7,390 is a comparison with Thai Airways who were going to fly into Samui and would therefore have been the only competition to Bangkok Airways. The point being made I suspect is that allowing a second airline into Samui will not necessarily produce cheaper flights. Why should Bangkok Airways pay for the construction and maintenance of the airport and then allow other carriers to fly in, charge lower fares and take away their revenue.

I personally am not convinced we need a second airport and even if it can be shown that we do, where will it go? It was previously planned just west of Hua Thanon with the runway parallel to the road to Nathon. However I am now hearing that they have identified wind shear problems in that area and the location may not be viable after all. Even if it is, the process will be incredibly lengthy as they will almost certainly have to carry out another Environmental Impact Study, then they must acquire the land by either negotiation or compulsory purchase which will have to go through the courts and could take years, find the money and hope during this lengthy process that here have not been too many changes of government with different agendas and priorities. If the Bangkok Airport fiasco is anything to go by it will be at least 45 years before Samui gets a second airport!

I personally am not convinced we need a second airport and even if it can be shown that we do, where will it go? It was previously planned just west of Hua Thanon with the runway parallel to the road to Nathon. However I am now hearing that they have identified wind shear problems in that area and the location may not be viable after all. Even if it is, the process will be incredibly lengthy as they will almost certainly have to carry out another Environmental Impact Study, then they must acquire the land by either negotiation or compulsory purchase which will have to go through the courts and could take years, find the money and hope during this lengthy process that here have not been too many changes of government with different agendas and priorities. If the Bangkok Airport fiasco is anything to go by it will be at least 45 years before Samui gets a second airport!

Well said ! :o

It's sad to see that this thread is turning away completely from it's original cause.

"How to make Samui clean or do something about it?"

Instead, we see now a discussion about prices for flying to/from Samui... :o

LaoPo