Samui Infrastructure

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the people "living " here happy with the garbage problems, etc. What can WE do?

Here we go again!another 40 page subject.you say WE,do you mean the island as a whole or just farangs?at the end of the day its not down to us,personally,i put my rubbish in the provided green bins placed around the island not just dump it anywhere.

Are the people "living " here happy with the garbage problems, etc. What can WE do?

maybe we could all bring the trash to you jens,and fill your bedsit up with it! :D:D

THIS FORUM IS FOR ADULTS NOT CHILDREN :o STICKS & STONES.........

Bedsit? man, I lay down to sleep.

Edited by SamuiJens

Here we go again!another 40 page subject.you say WE,do you mean the island as a whole or just farangs?at the end of the day its not down to us,personally,i put my rubbish in the provided green bins placed around the island not just dump it anywhere.

all people of course, but tell it to the major(Since you pay taxes, at least I do). If citizens of samui do nothing, they'll loose all they have HERE.

garbage problems, etc. What can WE do?

1. start with the schools and children; the Thai parents/adults are spoiled forever.

2. talk to the 'heads' of the school and encourage the kids to clean up the neigbourhood, once a week; for instance on fridays or saturdays.

3. Provide them with big, large bags to collect the rubbish. Ask the head of schools what to do next.

4. Have stickers printed 'Keep Samui clean' (with a smilie) in Thai & English and let the children put them up everywhere

5. Maybe have some reward-system installed for the cleanest neighbourhood. Contest style.

6. Start talking to the 'Mayors' office in Nathon and try to encourage them.

7. The children will feel happy after a while and proud to have helped to clean Samui....and....they will tell their parents; maybe, just maybe it helps a little.

Cheers

LaoPo

1. start with the schools and children; the Thai parents/adults are spoiled forever.

2. talk to the 'heads' of the school and encourage the kids to clean up the neigbourhood, once a week; for instance on fridays or saturdays.

3. Provide them with big, large bags to collect the rubbish. Ask the head of schools what to do next.

4. Have stickers printed 'Keep Samui clean' (with a smilie) in Thai & English and let the children put them up everywhere

5. Maybe have some reward-system installed for the cleanest neighbourhood. Contest style.

7. The children will feel happy after a while and proud to have helped to clean Samui....and....they will tell their parents; maybe, just maybe it helps a little.

Cheers

LaoPo

How true, but the garbage heap has grown out of hand, I guess "they'll" throw it into the sea in the end.

Cheers

LaoPo

Well said !

Can we encourage better street planning ? so that one doesn't have to walk in the road to avoid parked motor bikes or the odd telephone box , and also more rubbish bins - I can never find a rubbish bin , and normally have to chuck whatever in a tin or whatever a shopkeeper has left outside his shop on the street .

Cheers

LaoPo

Well said !

Can we encourage better street planning ? so that one doesn't have to walk in the road to avoid parked motor bikes or the odd telephone box , and also more rubbish bins - I can never find a rubbish bin , and normally have to chuck whatever in a tin or whatever a shopkeeper has left outside his shop on the street .

If you stop the ferang bastards may be you will stop the garbage

Cheers

LaoPo

How true, but the garbage heap has grown out of hand, I guess "they'll" throw it into the sea in the end.

I think Lao Po's suggestions have merit and show a basic understanding of how to get things done. Where do you suggest the garbage goes if you have no other ideas than dump it in the sea? (which, I do not believe actually happens that often. Most of the floating garbage you see comes from the mainland and the large fishing boats.)

So, what are your suggestions then? Personally, I think its better to not criticise at all if you can't come up with your own solutions.

Cheers

LaoPo

I think Lao Po's suggestions have merit and show a basic understanding of how to get things done. Where do you suggest the garbage goes if you have no other ideas than dump it in the sea? (which, I do not believe actually happens that often. Most of the floating garbage you see comes from the mainland and the large fishing boats.)

So, what are your suggestions then? Personally, I think its better to not criticise at all if you can't come up with your own solutions.

it would be a start to stop the thais ripping open the black bags looking tin cans and the like

and maybe it would help the dustman to rid us of are rubbish quicker :o

Cheers

LaoPo

it would be a start to stop the thais ripping open the black bags looking tin cans and the like

Having the infrastucture updated, sbk, from the taxes we pay, that simple!

Cheers

LaoPo

Nice ideas there, but most will never see the light of day simply because there is no way to earn kickbacks from these. If there is or someone in a position of power works out a way they can skim some money out if it, maybe it's a possibility. Very few things get done here unless someone somewhere is gaining financially in some way.

The teachers and other Thai's will more than likely view you as a crazy foriegner even though you are obviously trying to help.

Edited by womble

Cheers

LaoPo

Nice ideas there, but most will never see the light of day simply because there is no way to earn kickbacks from these. If there is or someone in a position of power works out a way they can skim some money out if it, maybe it's a possibility. Very few things get done here unless someone somewhere is gaining financially in some way.

The teachers and other Thai's will more than likely view you as a crazy foriegner even though you are obviously trying to help.

Probably , BUT why be soo pessimistic?? All is worth a try. Sitting on your ass will accomplice nothing!

Edited by SamuiJens

I believe there is a Farang Ladies community/organization on Samui. Maybe they can talk to the Mayors' office in Nathon...?

With their enthousiasm and help, results could be accomplished.

If you don't try you never win.

Womble wrote:

Womble, that's excatly right; BUT it's not about 'gain' here, it's about awareness and responsibility, to be teached to the population/people of Samui -and Phangan-.

Most foreigners and expats, living there don't know the way to the Mayors' office.

Talking negative on an Expat forum doesn't really help, does it?

The Thai/Samuians haven't been tought by their parents and grandparents to clean up their own mess and garbage; so why would they start doing it? It's as old as they are in age.

If all expats and Farang living on the islands start talking to each other -about the rubbish and garbage- in their own communities, bars and restaurants......and decide to DO something rather than talk, maybe, just maybe there's someone who says:

"OK, I know this and this guy....let's set up a committee and talk to the Mayor's office and START cleaning Samui' !

'Keep Samui Clean'

ps: I've been coming to Samui forsome 17-18 years but don't live there; otherwise I would help!

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

I believe there is a Farang Ladies community/organization on Samui. Maybe they can talk to the Mayors' office in Nathon...?

With their enthousiasm and help, results could be accomplished.

If you don't try you never win.

Womble wrote:

Womble, that's excatly right; BUT it's not about 'gain' here, it's about awareness and responsibility, to be teached to the population/people of Samui -and Phangan-.

Most foreigners and expats, living there don't know the way to the Mayors' office.

Talking negative on an Expat forum doesn't really help, does it?

The Thai/Samuians haven't been tought by their parents and grandparents to clean up their own mess and garbage; so why would they start doing it? It's as old as they are in age.

If all expats and Farang living on the islands start talking to each other -about the rubbish and garbage- in their own communities, bars and restaurants......and decide to DO something rather than talk, maybe, just maybe there's someone who says:

"OK, I know this and this guy....let's set up a committee and talk to the Mayor's office and START cleaning Samui' !

'Keep Samui Clean'

ps: I've been coming to Samui forsome 17-18 years but don't live there; otherwise I would help!

LaoPo

Well put LaoPo, to bad you didn't live here.

Cheers

LaoPo

Having the infrastucture updated, sbk, from the taxes we pay, that simple!

The taxes you pay go to the mainland government who then decides where to spend it. If you go to the mainland they have excellent roads and infrastructure out in the middle of nowhere. Samui is trying to get the islands declared a municipality along the lines of Pattaya so that they can keep their tax money, but for now, it is spent by the mainland govt elsewhere.

The best suggestion is to think locally and act locally. Don't expect the govt to help you out.

SBK,

Last thing I heard from my wife, is that Samui is just around 10.000 'locals' short of having enough 'locals' to actually qualify for the municipality.

Is that including Koh Phangan and Koh Tao as well? That is really too bad :o

SBK,

Last thing I heard from my wife, is that Samui is just around 10.000 'locals' short of having enough 'locals' to actually qualify for the municipality.

Well, that's the problem. There are thousands and thousands of workers from other provinces who actually live and work on Samui and other islands for years already; they only go home on short 'holidays' like Songkran.

Maybe the Mayor should send out his brigades to the dozens of building sites and 'force' those workers to register......

Problem solved and Samui can become their own municipality.

LaoPo

SBK,

Well, that's the problem. There are thousands and thousands of workers from other provinces who actually live and work on Samui and other islands for years already; they only go home on short 'holidays' like Songkran.

Maybe the Mayor should send out his brigades to the dozens of building sites and 'force' those workers to register......

LaoPo

Try tens of thousands Lao Po.

Koh Phangan has a registered local population of about 7-8000. Actual people living on the island is over 13,000. And rising.

Koh Samui's registered population, as of April 2002, was 40,000. With well over 100,000 people estimated to be living on the island .... and rising.

SBK,

Is that including Koh Phangan and Koh Tao as well? That is really too bad :D

LaoPo

Try tens of thousands Lao Po.

Koh Phangan has a registered local population of about 7-8000. Actual people living on the island is over 13,000. And rising.

Koh Samui, as of April 2002, was 40,000. With well over 100,000 people estimated to be living on the island .... and rising.

Sbk, you're right. Is it possible for your husband to find out the criteria of registration ? Meaning, when does anyone have to register in a certain place (coming from another province) ?

Maybe Samui/Phangan/Tao could something about it......? or is that utopia...? :o

LaoPo

The Samui Community Newspaper has a countdown on the front page that states -

Issue 15 Jan Registered-48,927, needed 1,073

Issue 15 Feb Registered-48,734, needed 1,216

Figure that out,I can't wait till the March 15 edition to see what's happening!

According to my staff, it is not necessary to have a tabien bahn (house registration paper). but is possible to register with the Amphur (tabien amphur) to class oneself as a resident. Obviously, most people don't bother.

Not sure if its required to change or not, probably, but I have no knowledge of that, nor does my staff.

The Samui Community Newspaper has a countdown on the front page that states -

Issue 15 Jan Registered-48,927, needed 1,073

Issue 15 Feb Registered-48,734, needed 1,216

Figure that out,I can't wait till the March 15 edition to see what's happening!

Gus, does the paper state the numbers include Phangan and Tao or are Samui planning on leaving us out in the cold? :o

No it only talks about SAMUI . Maybe you'll have to get everyone at the next FMP to register so you can have some of the benefits as well. Sorry !

Well, since Koh Phangan already has over 7000 registered inhabitants, and Tao is included in that, wouldn't that be plenty to push them over the top?

And FMP goers certainly don't count as inhabitants :o